Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Titanium Wedding Rings – are the dangers an urban myth?
  • ericemel
    Free Member

Just looking at ordering my wedding ring and my jeweler just told me they don’t sell titanium because it is dangerous as it is very difficult to cut off in an accident.

A quick web search states this as well as numerous comments it being a myth.

Any thoughts?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ll ask the Mrs tonight but I’m sure I rember her talking about them being difficult to get off.

richmtb

Well I’ve got a Ti wedding ring and its not soemthing I worry about.

Why would it be hard to cut off, its less dense than steel?

If I had a tungsten ring it might worry me

Helios
    Free Member

Utter drivel… Find a new jeweller…

Legoman
    Free Member

If I had a tungsten ring it might worry me

you can get ointment for that…..

clubber
    Free Member

I’m still alive… plus with a bit of metal polish it looks instantly good as new.

Mind you my uncle broke his finger pretty badly and A&E did say they were pleased he didn’t have a Ti wedding ring as they are apparently noticeably harder/slower to get off.

Jewellers don’t like Ti rings because they’re cheap 😉 I got told the same.

Trimix
    Free Member

Boll0cks.

Tungsten Carbide maybe, but Titanium rings are not that tough. Just google it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do I not remember someone off here telling a tale of having difficulty removing one in A&E?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

i have a titanium wedding ring. i think some jewellers avoid supplying them because they are not easy to work with using traditional jewellry techniques.

Mine is made by a machine shop in brum, and bought from a jewellers in the quarter.

titanium is not quite the insane wonder metal people like to think it is. You coudl easily dremel it off if that worries you.

uwe-r
    Free Member

mines is Ti 925.

never heard of this before and dont think mutch of it.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the dangers of marriage to be honest 😆

clubber
    Free Member

Thinking more about my uncle I have a vague recollection that it was something to do with ti sparking more when they cut it off. Could be totally wrong, mind…

Drac

They’re tougher to cut off but no impossible, not selling one for this reason is just OTT

geoffj

Do I not remember someone off here telling a tale of having difficulty removing one in A&E?

+1

TheFlyingOx

Mine’s titanium. I think it’s the Tungsten ones that are a bit naughty.

As a bonus, titanium is tougher than whatever they make beer bottle caps out of so I’m now never without a bottle opener 😀

geoffj
    firestarter
    Free Member

ive got a tungsten ring but hey i cut the roofs of cars at work so a little ring will be no problem for our cutting gear 😉

convert

They are a bit a of a faff for jeweller as they can’t be resized.

I have one and I’d go with it being harder to remove in an accident than more conventional material choices. The person above comparing to steel has got it a little wrong – when did someone fit a tight steel band around their finger? Titanium is a lot tougher to cut than soft precious metals like gold and silver. Looking at my ring now and I think I’d be there for quite a while with a dremel. I use a bit of titanium at work and it blunts tools much faster than steel. A couple of local bike shops won’t face ti frames because of what it does to facing tools (though would happily face a steel frame).

Duffer
    Free Member

There is a video on the ‘Tube about getting a tungsten ring off – squeese it with some mole-grips and it snaps pretty quickly.

kimbers

i have one and all because of the abyss

ed harris’ character has a Ti ring, when a hydraulic pressure door traps him on the wrong side hes able to jam his finger in before it shuts and his ring keeps the door open long enough for him to cut the hose taht powers it

one day it may save my life! 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was ok reading that link until the word(s?) “de-gloved” appeared.
    Nooooo nnngggghhh, gag.

oxym0r0n

I’ve had one for 8+ years , with a silver band set into it. Still looks good as new.

Make sure you get the right size ‘cos as already mentioned I don’t think they are easy to re-size.

The only problem I find is that it marks everything – particularly ceramic e.g. when shaving in the sink, washing mugs etc. I tend to take it off for washing-up duties.

Not had to have it cut off in A&E yet – I’ll let you know experiences when I do 😀

Drac

ive got a tungsten ring but hey i cut the roofs of cars at work so a little ring will be no problem for our cutting gear

Yup the jaws of life or perfect for such delicate procedures. 😆

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Any ring will deglove you.

I have a titanium ring (£22 from ebay), my brother has the same. Really pleased with them, we don’t really do jewelery so didn’t want to spend too much in case we didn’t get along with them but these have been great. It is a 4mm Court Shaped one from elma.jewellery.ltd my brother has bigger fingers and got a 6mm one. Find out your abc size from any high street jeweller.

I do remember looking at £2K Platinum rings on the high street, then I mentioned titanium and this poncey jeweller said they tarnish! He was just gutted that they look like platinum but are so cheap. He did then start to mention a ‘metal’ called Palladium…. all I could think of was Jimmy Tarbuck and the Royal Variety Performance!

As an mtber platinum or gold means nothing to me other than the colour of the borecaps on my Hope callipers – titanium on the other hand is what they make top end bike bits from so it is like gold to me. Get one and save yourself enough money for a new bike! Unless your fiance is a biker she won’t go for it on her finger though!

firestarter
    Free Member

damn right drac 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I quite like some of the stuff that’s been intricately worked.. and I would imagine it would come off more easily in an emergency due to it’s construction..

Otherwise it kind of reminds me of aftermarket exhaust cans for motorbikes..

b_man
    Free Member

I bought this for the missus the other day… I am yet to find out if she likes it…
    Ah Ti goodness….

dazzlingboy

662 titanium ring here. Looks like new. Got it from Canada Titanium rings. Not sure if they still do 6/6/2 – maybe 6/4 is the toughest they do nowadays. Must say, I wouldn’t want to have to cut it in a hurry. I can stand on it and it doesn’t deform one iota.

Edit – I see these guys sell 6/6/2 rings Linky

tollah
    Free Member

My wife sells a lot if Ti rings in her shop, Ti is harder to cut off but shouldn’t be a major issue. If you need any help my email is in the profile.

rob2
    Free Member

Myth or not my friend lost his finger due to a titanium ring.

It got caught taking something off the roof of a landrover and the ambulance couldn’t cut the ring off without cutting off his finger (which isn’t the issue they said with gold or other rings)

So he no longer has a finger!

Maybe he was just unlucky but seeing him everyday means I wouldn’t have one

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Gold’s nice. Some of the alloys are harder wearing, but still cuttable. Or is that just too unfashionable?

Drac

It got caught taking something off the roof of a landrover and the ambulance couldn’t cut the ring off without cutting off his finger (which isn’t the issue they said with gold or other rings)

You what? We generally don’t carry ring cutters and certainly wouldn’t cut someone’s finger off.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Ti one but I don’t wear it except for special occasions and family dos.

And I also had it slight resized by a jeweller. His take was that his machinery was designed for gold but he could still stretch it a little. It worked too, just enough to ease the fit slightly.

Stainypants

get one made from what ever ti they used on the rear drop out of my ti 456 it broke easily enough

rob2
    Free Member

Drac – can’t comment on what they can and can’t do but they knew the issue before they came to the scene (it was in reading about 5mins from the hospital)

They had no choice apparently (he was ‘hanging’ from the roof bars on the landrover). I assume they knew what they were doing.

Anyway it’s put me off ti rings!

oxym0r0n

uwe-r – my ring is very similar to yours, except it has a flat top rather than a curve…

fubar
    Free Member

Yes, our local A&E struggled to cut the 2 platinum rings from my wife’s finger, but they did manage it after much sweating (no electronic cutters there!). The rings were a right mess, but then again so was her finger! Platinum or not the best advice would be to remove rings them before riding /climbing etc (I keep forgetting to follow this advice). But not selling platinum because it is ‘dangerous’ sounds like a right a load of rubbish.

GW
    Free Member

WTF would anyone want a wedding ring, let alone one that might be harder to remove? 😕

spando
    Free Member

Even better if the Ti is made out of re cycled soviet nuclear missile! 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Wedding Rings – are the dangers an urban myth?’ is closed to new replies.