Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Titanium vs chromoly saddle rails. Road bike.
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Morning
    Ive got two Planet x saddles on two different bikes, both road bikes. One with titanium rails and one with chromoly rails.
    Now, I’m not 100% certain they are the same saddles(both were second hand, and I dont know the models) but they look the same and measure the same, so I’m reasonably confident they are the same.
    Heres my question, the titanium is a helluva lot comfier than the chromoly, not that the chromoly is uncomfy, just nowhere near as comfy as titanium. Would the difference in saddle rails really make that much difference to comfort? or am I missing something else somewhere?
    I appreciate its two different bikes, but the difference seems huge.
    I may take a punt and just get one that looks the same with titanium rails.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could be the rails, Ti is usually comfier. But it could also be mileage, saddles take a while to bed in, then after a while they sag, the shell cracks, the padding disintegrates etc etc. I think some manufacturers recommend replacing them every 10,000miles or so, less if you’re heavy. So it could be simply that the CrMo saddle is older and past it’s best.

amedias
    Free Member

swap them between the bikes and see if still comfier, could be the bike, not the saddle.

ransos
    Free Member

I have Charge Spoons on my two road bikes – one Ti, one cromo. The Ti model definitely feels more comfortable on a long ride.

ian martin
    Free Member

Could one have hollow and the other solid rails?

retro83
    Free Member

Silly point. Are they identical aside from the rails? Some manufacturers give the ti or carbon ones nicer covers etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Titanium vs chromoly saddle rails. Road bike.’ is closed to new replies.