Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Titanium Seatposts
  • bikeneil
    Free Member

I’m looking for a 400mm 27.2 Ti seatpost. I’ve looked at Van Nicholas but have just found these on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-bike-parts-Seatpost-27-2-30-9-31-6mm-SlicksandShox-/320852065799?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item76c1b077a7#ht_831wt_1270

And one used one of these, or can suggest a good alternative to Van Nicholas (if there is one)..

Thanks

mattjg
    Free Member

USE Sumo, fiddly saddle bracket but rides well.

mattjg
    Free Member

Can’t see the Sumo 400mm on CRC or Wiggle, but it exists, I have 1! British product too.

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got a j&l ti post if you’re interested? £39?

PaulD
    Free Member

I have other Ti items from this seller and he has been 100% reliable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-UltraLight-Titanium-Seatpost-27-2mm-174g-Road-or-MTB-/280816319833?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4161f4fd59

I also have a USE Alien Ti seatpost on a Ti frame, and whilst the cyclops clamp was fiddly, once done it has been perfect…bought off here.

PaulD

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah as Paul says the Sumo clamp is solid once set. Wouldn’t be an easy trailside adjustment tho, I can only assume Thomson have a patent on their design or everyone would use it.

Also worth noting the Sumo has a small offset, 6mm I think, may be relevant for your fit.

peanut
    Free Member

I bought a Van Nic one a while back……… it bent after a few rides, immediate refund from On One tho. Qoroz do a nice looking one that comes with a lifetime quaruntee.

Stoner
    Free Member

I bought a Van Nic one a while back……… it bent after a few rides,

How did you manage that?

Ive had an On-One van nic one for a year or so and I weigh 95Kg+ and am clumsy as f*** and it just “gives” a little. Very nice ride it is too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    whippersnapper
    Free Member

my Van Nic has a slight bend in it also. It is the lay back version, it is slightly more lay back now.

mattjg
    Free Member

a bit more solid than the USE set up

USE is fiddly but I have had no reliability issues, after 50ish rides.

It’s nice and flexi. Personally I’d be reluctant to buy a no-name brand via ebay, seatpost is an important bit of safety kit. (I had a carbon post splinter beneath me once, I was very lucky not to get eviscerated).

charliedontsurf

Again my van nic, a really lovely ride, great flex…. Bent whilst on my Fargo on the south downs way.

This was after a year and 100kg of me.

It’s now cut down and ony cross check.

Ti can make an excellent post, real comfy flex, but there is not much choice at a realistic price.

peanut
    Free Member

Yeah, the flex was lovely till it flexed beyond its ability to return. It was run almost to its max extension mark on a 400mm post.

takisawa2

Does anyone do a steel post ?

I know, would potentially rust, but we have mild EN1A plated & it happily sits under road sweepers for years.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id better keep an eye on my van nic then.

Pity their warranty is only one year on components though 🙁

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Keep an eye on Ebay for bargains, I managed to get a nearly new Moots cinch for £85.

I used to have one of the Van Nich posts that was as good performance wise bar the seat clamp that is a bit of a hassle to change saddles.

Ringo
    Free Member

I have a Kent eriksen it’s lovely life time warranty

faz083
    Free Member

What’s all this about the sumo being a fiddly design? It’s a single bolt pivot design, it works flawlessly and looks great.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think i might give the ebay one a go. I tempted by the Van post but didn’t realise so many were bending. Especially as it’s the bent one i was thinking about.

It’s for my Cotic Soul. Maybe a carbon post??

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have an older use alien with the suppossedly fiddly alien clamp but.it.seems.OK to.me. with flite flow saddle.on titanium rails with the split in the middle there seems to be quite a lot of bump absorbtion.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s for my Cotic Soul. Maybe a carbon post??

Yes get a carbon post since they’re lighter/stronger/cheaper?

Make sure you dont get a USE one though.

zippykona

I bought a Sumo and its a piece of p to set up.
    USE, in non fiddly set up shocka.

bikeneil
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    Can’t see the Sumo 400mm on CRC or Wiggle, but it exists, I have 1! British product too.

According to the USE site they don’t do a Sumo Ti in 400mm flavour :o(

http://www.use1.com/product/000053/sumo-titanium-/

rootes1

how about :

http://kenteriksen.com/seatposts/

megabucks but look nice. They do international orders.

mattjg
    Free Member

ok could be mine is a 350, soz. 400 would be looooonnggg!

mattjg
    Free Member

I have a photo somewhere of my broken carbon post, if I could find it, it would put you off a carbon post forever.

I run the USE Sumo Ti in my small Soul btw. It’s not bent.

charliedontsurf

18bikes are working on a steel Reynolds 953 post.

peanut
    Free Member

The Syntace P6 HiFlex one reviewed in WMB looks good. Expensive, strong flexy carbon?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Seatposts’ is closed to new replies.