Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Titanium Road Frames
  • BIGMAN
    Free Member

Looking for somthing pretty light and comfortable for not silly money…

Drawn to a Lynskey R230 at the moment? Anyone ridden one?

Also any other Ti recomendations.

Not interested in Carbon or Ali… Already have a Carbon one but love the Ti ride!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

What do you love about the Ti road ride?

Curious myself about a Ti road frame and found a few on google from Holland etc and even Onone or Van Nichs

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Enigma look quite special.

Or Van Nicholas, Planet X, Burls.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Not first hand experience, but 2 of my mates have Litespeed Sienas (one is custom fit, one OTP) both from Mosquito in London.

They are very very nice bikes (actually thinking about it I did ride one of them, but that was a while back)

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Those Burls look quite tasty!!

AdamML
    Free Member

A friend of mine has a Burls CX bike which is beautiful. Justin Burls builds road frames too so he might be worth a look

http://www.burls.co.uk/index.php

RepacK
    Free Member

I have a Litespeed Ardennes about 4yrs old I think..Lovely ride, a little flexy compared to carbon but not as juddery as alloy.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have to avoid looking at the Enigma website, it makes me feel a bit funny like looking at Gillian Anderson in FHM a few years ago did.

floki
    Free Member

I thought about this for some time, decided that I couldn't justify a LiteSpeed or similar.
    Ended up buying a Sabbath Silk Road; which is pretty nice and very comfortable (no problems doing the Dragon this year).
    Only reservation I've got is that its a bit flexy (annoying brake rub0 when you stamp on it on the hills.

Now I'm thinking that the Canyon SLX looks rather nice …

davedodd
    Free Member

I'd have to say Sabbath as well.

charliemort

I got a Litespeed Teramo 5 years ago with full Ultegra for well under £2k. Pricey but it still looks like new and me and my achy back love it. People often comment on it and it really does feel like a bike for life.

Not sure what Litespeed frames cost now though

dogxcd

yeah -i've got a sabbath silk road
    nice/comfy/lifetime gurantee/reasonably light
    kills road buzz through the rear end
    no paint chips or rust ever

be careful about using anti sieze with ti:risk of galling

JonBurns
    Free Member

I've got a Planet-X Road Ti which I think is ace. I have a few friends with Sabbaths which are all really nice aswell. The new ones with bendy tubes are probably a love/hate thing but certainly a little different.

LS
    Free Member

Another Litespeed Teramo here, bought s/h as a frameset off Ebay about three years ago. Puts up with all the abuse (250-300 miles a week, road races, commuting) I throw at it from March-October and still looks brand new. De-decalled it when I first got it, which probably helps.

barney
    Free Member

To put the cat amongst the pigeons I'd say there's as much difference in ride feel between different frames of the same material as there is between different materials – it depends where the butting is, how it's been welded, or the weave laid down or whatever.

So you can get supple alu frames that will ride beautifully, and gaspipe ti ones that won't.

This from an owner of a 1992 Ti road bike (Merlin); I've also has alu and steel ones in the past..

charliemort

dogxcd – what is galling?

can't remember if I used anti-seize (copperslip) when i changed B/B – might I die?

faarkk – just looked up the price of litespeed frames now – cheapest is over £2k. Makes me mega chuffed with mine and even more so with Mrs' Bella – got frame on ebay brand new for £500, built up for about £1200

dogxcd

galling = cold fusion= bit like rusting on
    think related to cathodic corrosion
    + relative positions in the periodic table

btw greg roche @ sabbath is v nice bloke to deal with

MisterT

Take a good look at enigmabikes.com

their stock road frames are top notch and good price (made by hand in Far East to high spec) – or you can ask them to build a custom frame and Mark will make it for you in the UK.

I got Mark to build me a Columbus XcR tubed frame (Stainless Steel) – same weight as lightweight Ti, but real steel and same benefit of Ti in terms of resistance to corrosion.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-ti-content

Had this since March and love it. Under £1k for the frame, complete build was put together for around double that which is what you'd pay for a carbon job with similar/poorer spec. Chuck another couple of hundred at some lighter wheels and it would be a proper flyer as well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Road Frames’ is closed to new replies.