Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Titanium forks for 29er … J&L, Wittson, Black Sheep?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi … would like some ti forks for my Pegasus 29er (accepting that ti forks are prob a marginal difference Vs steel/carbon). Understandably tricky to find, but does anyone have any expeirence of J&L on ebay – their forks are c. £190 Vs Wittson at £470.

Or any pointers of where else to look that isnt necessarily custom made or hugely expensive.

Ta

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Had a JAndL seat post on my rockhopper. It worked fine. But wont Ti forks be a bit twangy and flexy?

Sam

IMO Titanium is just not a great material for forks, the few sets I have ridden have all been reminiscent of an udon noodle. Jones truss forks being the exception. If you want light then go carbon – Niner or Whisky parts.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks … thought a decent ti fork would be comfy? Sam – still loving the Pegasus, but after today’s v soggy ride, got me thinking of rigid for winter.

Keef
    Free Member

ran Niner carbons on my peggy for all the time I owned it.perfect match.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Defo niner carbons- however if you must have ti have a look at the ones at Clee cycles – tazzie has some on his black sheep and likes them

rOcKeTdOg

Stick a singular rigid on there, lighter than a suspension fork & ££ cheaper. Comfy too. I have one on my Pegasus

tazzymtb

As pop said, the torus forks (burls design) are bloomin top and with 36mm stanchions stiff in all the right plaves but still with enough give to smooth the ride without being a noodle. They also take 29+ with loads of clearance. In fact all the torus stuff is lovely..including the ti layback post , wiiiide ti flat bars and the long n low 29er ss frame they do. Reasonable price as well.

tazzymtb

I will be getting a black sheep faith fork when funds allow though. .just for pimp factor

Babyjack
    Free Member

I have a torus/burls ti fork fitted. It doesn’t feel noodley, but it does ride nice and Smooth.
    I can’t do pics but they are on my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98303183@N08/with/9913504645/

Mine are 455mm a-c though, so not sure if 470’s would be flexier?

From Clee Cycles btw.

epicyclo

Have you a link to the J&L fork?

All the J&L forks I have seen are very short – which is good in that it reduces the flex, but may affect the geometry on your 29er by steepening the Head Angle, and the offset seems to be 26″ wheel size.

tazzymtb

The 470mm torus are sweet babyjack.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the black sheep fork is actually pretty solid feeling, well mine is, light, a little blingy in a subtle way and comfy but not spagetti legged.

EDIT: james from black sheep is more interested in building forks than answering emails, patience is worth it in the end.

singlespeedstu

James at blacksheep is a nightmare to deal with.
    He’s built three different frames for me and each time he got harder and harder to deal with…

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all … Torus look good.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Titanium forks for 29er … J&L, Wittson, Black Sheep?’ is closed to new replies.