Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Titanium fleet update with some new toys
  • solarider
    Free Member

Just got my hands on the new 4 arm Super Record chainsets and fitted them to the bikes, so I thought it was a good excuse to post an update. Monsoon weather in Singapore means no riding outside for the moment, so a few quick snaps before an hour on the turbo trainer!

I went for my first ride last night, and first impressions are good. Firstly, let’s get over the looks. They do look much better in the flesh, and very much like the Mavic ‘starfish’ from back in the day looking down on them when seated on the bike. I happen to prefer them. On a modern bike, they look great. However, they might look a bit ‘brutal’ on a thin tubed steel frame.

Stiffness? Hmm, a real game of 2 halves. At the point at which you apply the most power (namely on the down stroke on each side), they are really stiff. However, compared to the 5 arm version, you can noticeably flex the outer chainring with your fingers at the widest gap in between the down strokes. On the bike, I haven’t noticed it, but in the workstand, it is quite disconcerting. Anyway, if the pros use them all season in 2015 with no amendments, I will be happy that they can take my meagre power output!

I think for now the bikes are done. Just put the same 46cm Zipp shallow bars on them all which has made the position and ride more similar, although if somebody can recommend me some bar tape that will wrap a 46cm bar, I would love to know. Even the Brompton has had every bolt replaced and every plastic original part replaced with something more robust. Bromptons are great bikes, but honestly some of the stock parts suck! The only change I need to make is to fit a smaller outer ring to the cross bike once Campagnolo make it. For now, the 50t will have to do. I tend to spend most time in the 34/36 anyway off road.

Frame – Moots Vamoots RD
    Fork – ENVE Tapered RD
    Aheadset – Chris King Inset 7
    Chainset – Campagnolo Super Record Ti (175mm, 50 / 34)
    Bottom Bracket – Campagnolo PF BB30
    Pedals – Look Keo Carbon Ti
    Front Derailleur – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Rear Derailleur – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Shifters – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Brakes – Avid BB7 SL Road
    Chain – KMC X-11 SL
    Cassette – Campagnolo Super Record (12 / 25)
    Hubs – Tune King / Kong Disc (28 hole)
    Rims – ENVE XC tubular (28 hole)
    Spokes – Sapim CX Ray
    Quick Release – DT RWS Ti
    Tyres – Continental Competition (25mm)
    Stem – Moots RSL (120mm)
    Bars – Zipp Service Course SL-80 (460mm)
    Seatpost – Moots Cinch (30.9mm, 20mm layback)
    Saddle – Fizik Arione CX
    Bottle Cages – King Titanium
    Grip – Deda Tape

Frame – Moots Psyclo X RSL
    Fork – ENVE Tapered CX
    Bottom Bracket – Campagnolo PF BB30
    Pedals – Shimano XTR
    Front Derailleur – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Rear Derailleur – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Shifters – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Brakes – Avid BB7 SL Road
    Chain – KMC X-11 SL
    Cassette – Campagnolo Super Record (12 / 25)
    Hubs – Chris King R45 Disc (32 hole)
    Rims – ENVE XC clincher (32 hole)
    Spokes – Sapim CX Ray
    Tyres – Vittoria Cyclocross XM (34mm)
    Stem – Moots RSL (120mm)
    Seatpost – Moots Cinch (30.9mm, 20mm layback)
    Saddle – Fizik Arione CX
    Grip – Deda Tape

Frame – Seven Evergreen SL
    Fork – ENVE Tapered CX (amended by Seven to add eyelets and dynamo routing)
    Bottom Bracket – Campagnolo Record
    Pedals – Look Keo Carbon CroMo
    Front Derailleur – Campagnolo Record EPS
    Rear Derailleur – Campagnolo Record EPS
    Shifters – Campagnolo Record EPS
    Brakes – Avid BB7 Road / Ti Bolts
    Chain – KMC X-11 SL
    Cassette – Campagnolo Record (12 / 25)
    Hubs – SON Delux / Tune Kong Disc (32 hole)
    Rims – ENVE XC clincher (28 hole)
    Spokes – Sapim CX Ray
    Tyres – Challenge Strada Bianca (30mm)
    Fenders – SKS Chromoplastic (45mm)
    Stem- ENVE Carbon (120mm)
    Seatpost – ENVE Carbon (27.2mm, 20mm layback)
    Saddle – Fizik Arione CX
    Grip – Deda Tape
    Front Light – Schmidt Edelux 2
    Rear Light – DiNotte 300

Frame – Lynskey Pro 29SL
    Fork – Niner RDO
    Chainset – White Industries ENO (175mm, 32)
    Bottom Bracket – Phil Wood 113mm
    Pedals – Shimano XTR Race
    Brakes – Shimano XTR / Ice Tech rotors
    Chain – SRAM 870
    Cassette – Chris King Stainless Steel Cog (18)
    Hubs – SON Delux 15mm / Hope Pro 2 EVO Single Speed
    Rims – Stan’s ZTR Crest
    Spokes – DT Competition
    Tyres – Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin (2.25 / 2.35)
    Stem – Thomson X4 (100mm)
    Bars – Thomson Carbon Centre Rise
    Seatpost – Thomson Elite (27.2mm, inline)
    Saddle – Selle Italia Flite 1990
    Grip – ODI Ruffian
    Front Light – Supernova E3 Triple 2
    Rear Light – Supernova E3 3 LED

Frame – Brompton S Raw Lacquer / Bromptification Ti Bolts
    Fork – Brompton Raw Lacquer
    Aheadset – Shimano XTR
    Chainset – White Industries ENO (175mm, 32)
    Bottom Bracket – Shimano UN-55
    Pedals – Shimano XT Trail
    Rear Derailleur – Bromptification CNC Aluminium
    Shifters – Brompton
    Brakes – Brompton / Bromptification Ti Bolts
    Chain – SRAM 870
    Cassette – Brompton 2 Speed
    Hubs – Brompton 2 speed / Superlight
    Rims – Brompton
    Spokes – Brompton
    Quick Release – Bromptification Ti Bolts
    Tyres – Schwalbe Kojak
    Fenders – Brompton
    Stem – Brompton S Raw Lacquer / Bromptification Ti Bolts
    Bars – USE Carbon Riser
    Seatpost – Bromptification Titanium
    Saddle – Brooks Swift Titanium
    Grip – ODI Ruffian

bol

I like the Brompton.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The Niner’s looking relatively unloved/uncarbonified with the alu rims and bars 😉 I could see a nice set of carbons rims on there, plus a RaceFace Next SL cinch crank and a set on Enve sweep bars?

The Brompton would look nice with some Pauls brake levers I think, and the rear brake cable needs a crimp, tut tut.

solarider
    Free Member

I must admit for all the bling, the Brompton is still the one that puts the biggest smile on my face too. Great bike (and it does have a crimp on the back brake!). Still have a hankering after a Moulton Space Frame, but need to start saving for that one! Until then, the Brompton will serve the purpose well.

BTW, the Niner’s a Lynskey (and it hasn’t cracked or fallen apart yet either!), and the Thomson bars are carbon. I just can’t bring myself to use carbon rims off road though.

plus-one

Lovely array of jewellery you have there 😀

You can’t beat a bit of Ti 8)

Rik
    Free Member

Love the Seven the most, closely followed by the Psyclo

ernie

Nice, very very nice

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

You Sir, clearly have too much money! (Extremely envious btw)

Single with no kids?

takisawa2

🙂

The Moots for me.
    Or maybe the Seven.

🙂

aP
    Free Member

What’s the Bromptification rear mech like? My s2lx needs new chainrings, rear cogs, chain and jockey wheels so I could be persuaded to go a bit mad….

mrchrispy

Lovely….you don’t happen to shit pound coins do you?
    🙂

lilchris
    Free Member

Show off!

ps nice bikes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Monsoon? So lots of rain? GET OUT AND RIDE MAN! Bit of wet won’t do any harm 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

I would be pretty pleased with myself as well if I’d just stuck £1,500 worth of chainsets on (some of) my bikes 😆

iolo
    Free Member

Nice,
    What weight are the chainset compared to a Deore?
    Do the allow you to do anything apart from pass the power from your legs to the bike?

vorlich
    Free Member

Decal-tastic!

Don’t get me wrong, these are lovely, but they’d be significantly improved after some de-stickering. The Mootses and Seven in particular.

tymbian
    Free Member

What am I missing?…they don’t do it for me in any way, shape or form!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I just can’t bring myself to use carbon rims off road though.

Frame – Moots Psyclo X RSL
    Rims – ENVE XC clincher (32 hole)

😉 obvious troll is obvious

njee20
    Free Member

What am I missing?…they don’t do it for me in any way, shape or form!

Agreed, I don’t like any of them whatsoever, but as long as the OP does!

remoterob
    Free Member

Would you say that you get more joy from the building than from riding?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I didn’t clock it first time round – those bikes are all gorgeous except that Lynskey frame… I’m a big fan of ti and that build is exemplary, but… that frame is hideous… what were they thinking?! 😕

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. Predictable trolling of course! I have broad shoulders, but all taken in good humour. If you like them, great, if not, equally great. I didn’t build them for you. I built them because that’s the kind of bike I like to ride. American ti, Italian carbon and nice bits holding it all together. Not everybody’s choice of course, but certain types of bike don’t do it for me either, hence my decision to build this lot.

I have been riding for years, hence ti and Campagnolo do it for me. When I bought my first serious mountain bikes (Kona Lava Dome followed by Marin Bear Valley back in the late 80’s), I aspired to a Kona Hei Hei or Marin Team Titanium, and as a poor student a Merlin was a total dream.

Despite modern carbon and Shimano probably being superior in performance, I do prefer the ride quality of ti, and for no other reason than heritage and emotion, I will stick with Campagnolo. At the Super Record/Dura Ace end of the scale, nobody can really argue which is better, they are just different. Discs have been a revelation however and nobody will convince me that for the type of riding that I do (club runs, light touring and no racing), they are superior. I really know what I want from a road and CX bike, and these bikes are spot on for me. The mountain bike is more of a work in progress. I do however like to support smaller builders with a face and some substance. Over here every bike you see is Taiwanese carbon and Dura Ace Di2. All lovely kit, all performs well. But let’s put it this way. I have driven Land Rover 110’s all my driving life. Living in Asia I now drive a company Lexus. Functionally far superior. But what I wouldn’t give for my leaky, unreliable, uncomfortable but charming and character-packed Landy right now! Not that these bikes are the cycling equivalent of a Landy. Don’t get me wrong, they perform amazingly well. But they are also a little different from the norm, and I have been riding long enough to know exactly what I like out of a bike.

The decals are stock factory decals, so nothing more added. I requested dark ENVE decals instead of the stock white ones on the wheels to try and tone things down, but agree they still look a bit shouty. Otherwise, brand on the down tube and model on the top tube is pretty standard.

Having left the UK a couple of years ago, I have been living in Hong Kong where the mountain biking is pretty poor. Hence have been concentrating on the road. But a recent move to Singapore has opened up a whole new opportunity for riding off road again, hence the Lynskey. The heat, rain and humidity means mostly muddy riding after dark, hence single speed and dynamo lighting. I wanted ti but didn’t want to blow a heap of money, hence a clearance Pro 29er from CRC. The parts are solid, but nothing special and transferable to a nicer frame if I ride this one enough and feel the love off road again. I totally understand the marmite looks of it. I myself wasn’t sure, and still am not, but it rides nicer than it looks.

And when I say Monsoon, it’s the kind of rain that we never get back home. With the best of intentions, not rideable!

I love to build a nice bike, but love riding them more, believe me! And with an all year round temperature of about 32 degrees, Singapore is a great place, but hopefully I will be back home soon. I would actually love a nice ride out on a crisp winter morning right now.

And, no I am not single, and we are expecting our first child in March, which I know is going to mean a whole heap of changes to our lives. Call this lot a last hoorah before everything changes!!!!! I work bleedin’ hard in a stressful job which although exciting has taken me away from family, friends and the UK. I don’t drink or smoke, so if I can support my family, treat them too and afford to indulge in a life-long passion I think I deserve a bit of reward for the hard work and sacrifice. There are many worse things to spend a few quid on!

You are right iolo, functionally, do any of them perform better than something much cheaper? Nope. A bit better, a bit lighter, a bit more exclusive, but honestly not a step change. But one could argue the same about anything in life. One chooses the areas of ones’ life to indulge in, and those where functional will suffice. Each to their own. Given the free and open choice between Deore and Super Record, all things being equal I would choose Super Record every time. But don’t forget that without the investment made by Shimano and us early adopters in the high end, that Deore chain set wouldn’t be half as good as it is today! Trickle down is a wonderful thing, and you are most welcome!

Superficial
    Free Member

One chooses the areas of ones’ life to indulge in, and those where functional will suffice.

So, four ti bikes and a company lexus. Make us all feel better by explaining that you live in a hovel.

Anyway, I can see why you are pleased with the fleet. Not my cup of tea (which one do you #Enduro on?) but there’s some lovely machinery there.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Congratulations, all the best for your new arrival in March.

Ti balance bike? 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

here you go…

has some colour on it though…. 😯

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Well done that man. Work hard and play hard. That’s the way it should be.

slackboy
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

Almost a shame to ride them and get them dirty….

Oh…. :p

Such attention to detail and filty tile grout too?

RRD
    Free Member

Some nice bikes but as has been said plenty of marmite in there!

Roadies… Is Ti viewed in the same way as a MTB hardtail? Somehow in my (non-roadie) mind a carbon team bike is the pinnacle – not Ti?

teasel
    Free Member

It’s a Moot point…

aa
    Free Member

Rrd, it all depends.
    *troll mode on*
    If you want to pretend you’re froome, contador, Wiggins, etc then yep. Carbons where its at.
    If you want a well designed and made bike for the kind of riding most people do then other materials are perhaps better.

Its been said before though, its not the material (or was it, its not about the bike??)

MrSmith
    Free Member

Roadies… Is Ti viewed in the same way as a MTB hardtail? Somehow in my (non-roadie) mind a carbon team bike is the pinnacle – not Ti?

A carbon team replica is for fanboys, the more discerning choice is custom tube to tube joined frame to suit the rider and no OTT sponsors logos that scream ‘guillable buyer’ on some frame popped out of a mould in the 1000’s in Taiwan

winston
    Free Member

Don’t know why people bang on about the cost – that beautiful stable probably comes in at less than a new audi estate, something that wouldn’t raise an eyebrow if your neighbours / friends bought.

Personally I love Ti but would like to see a little variation in material (and colour!) if it was my fleet.

BTW OP, chance I might be moving to Singapore – I guess its pretty bike friendly?

njee20
    Free Member

A carbon team replica is for fanboys, the more discerning choice is custom tube to tube joined frame to suit the rider and no OTT sponsors logos that scream ‘guillable buyer’ on some frame popped out of a mould in the 1000’s in Taiwan

Not sure if trolling…

oldgit
    Free Member

I did prefer your older more classic svelte bikes, but I am stuck in my ways.

BTW Zipp tape is long, probably the longest I’ve used, It means I can put the tape where I want and not ‘have to make it fit’

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Definitely a step backwards compared to some of your previous work. The Pegoretti/Colnago were lovely. You could probably swap out that Moots or the Seven for a rim braked steel Italian bike. It looks like they’re both the same thing.

Those Enve stems look atrocious, a Zipp SL stem would look better. As would some conical headset top caps to make the transition between fat headtube and steerer easier on the eye.

If you’re going to use Zipp tape, put some electrical tape on your bars first, since it’s a knacker to get off otherwise.

jonners
    Free Member

Going to have to get used to riding in a few drops of rain if you live here – it’s the temperature of warm bathwater, keeps you from overheating and takes the friction off the road, what’s not to like ? Had 4 hours out in it earlier, still a bit wrinkly but skin’s waterproof they tell me….

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m all for spending what you want/when you want and ride what the hell you like, so I’m all in favour of your bike family.

I just hope you ride them as hard as you work for them, that’s all we should do IMO 8)

daveky
    Free Member

Those don’t look ridden to me. The tyres and chains are spotless and the chain stays are unmarked.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Always enjoy checking out your bikes, funnily enough I had similar aspirational bikes as an impoverished student.

No need to justify your choices or what you do or dont do with them, but I completely agree with

One chooses the areas of ones’ life to indulge in, and those where functional will suffice.

I had a similar conversation with a younger female colleague a few days ago (on a smaller scale), when she heard how much my MTB was worth and exclaimed “that’s half as much as my car”. I pointed out it was worth MORE than my car, and she’s on her 4th consecutive I-phone and I’m still using an old basic HTC on a cheap SIM-only contract. Horses for courses and all that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Titanium fleet update with some new toys’ is closed to new replies.