Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Titanium coil for DHX5 on my Heckler
  • nacho
    Free Member

Does anybody know how much weight I would save? And any recommendations of what coil to buy?

mildred

In my experience they weigh about half the steel counterpart. Some say you can feel the difference but that's up for debate.

I got a Renton Coil Spring from the states, but I'd probably go for genuine fox next time.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You do know that Fox ones are RCS?

nacho
    Free Member

sorry rockthreegozy – what does RCS mean?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Renton Coil Springs- in reply to Mildred.

Depends on what size of shock you have what weight saving you will achieve..

nacho
    Free Member

OK thanks, think I best visit the LBS where I bought it, I don't know the size of the shock, 😳 just got the standard upgrade on the heckler when I bought it (great shock though, much plusher than the fox air I tried)

batman11
    Free Member

Hi mate if it's a new type heckler it's 8.5×2.5 shox Personal i would go for the rcs springs there way better than say nukeproof on weight etc and go direct to mojo they will look after you with all things fox ok.

Batman11.

LoCo
    Free Member

I am waiting for stock of Diverse Titanium spring at present 😉

mildred

Mmmm, I possibly had the wrong spring then, or RCS sent the wrong one. It was quite fat for the spring weight compared to a mate's that was branded fox, and didn't give much room between the spring and piggy back.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Is the shock length relative to the size of the frame? Looking at a Ti coil for my Large Heckler and could do with some figures (not with the bike at the mo, and for the next week of so… love you miss you baby.) 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

Is the shock length relative to the size of the frame?

No, they're all the same size.

poisonspider
    Free Member

In my experience of comparing steel versus Ti (an RCS version) on a Romic, you'd be lucky to save much more than 180g ish. There are cheaper ways to save weight, although you have to consider the pimp value.

BTW it made no decernable difference to the ride characteristics.

Onzadog
    Free Member

LoCo, might have asked you this before but what's the firmest DHX ti coil spring you do for a 2" shock? Anything over 700 inlbs?

LoCo
    Free Member

Haven't found any over 700 lbs/" don't think it's possible to fit the coils into the space.
    BTW Diverse shocks and a small selection of Ti springs have just landed 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just one point which I am not sure has been made. In order to maximise the weight saving that Ti springs offer, you must make sure you get a like for like spring in terms of stroke length.

If you end up with a longer stroke length than you need, then you're effectively carrying more metal than you need and even with Ti being lighter than steel, you negate some of the weight saving.

To illustrate the point, if you have a 2.75" stroke and you end up with Ti spring that is 3" stroke, then the spring has around 10% more material than you actually need.

Often you see spring manufacturers recommending you get the next spring up in terms of stroke length if you can't find one that is exactly right.

scruff
    Free Member

When I looked into a Ti spring it would have cost approx £1 per gram of weight saving.

LoCo
    Free Member

geetee1972, yes true, not really cricket is it?!

Have seen some 'race only' springs with less coils in them, so a higher rate short spring is possible, but would have a lower 'safety margin' if you like, in terms of longevity.

geetee1972
    Free Member

LoCo – just seen you're company website. Great to see an alternative tuner. Best of luck with the venture.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Titanium coil for DHX5 on my Heckler’ is closed to new replies.