Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Titanium chainrings and Homebrewed Components
  • zestybeard

Am going from 1×9 set-up (32t w/12-34 out back) to a 1×10 (32t w/11-34 or 11-36).

Am am looking into getting a dedicated front ring, as the one I am using is for shifting duties.

Ideally I don’t want it to cost over 40 quid. But after reading reviews and posts of alu rings it seems that they are a waste of money. One with some gert big teeth like that Tazzy’s wobble ring would be great.

Has anyone ever ordered anything from Homebrewed Components?

What are their rings like? And how much were the custom charges. And ship times like?

Was thinking of a surly ss ring but have seen some pictures of them mashed up.

Anyone have any ideas for my 104 4 bolt set-up, or any other Ti or strong long lasting rings.

Only want the one to rule them all!!

Vortexracing

I have a 33t E thrteeen G ring for sale, only done 3 rides and maybe worth trying before committing to HBC

Although his stuff looks great, response time seems to be patchy at best.

c_klein87

I’ve always wanted to order from them, but not waiting for 5 month for it to show up, huge thread over on mtbr of happy and disgruntled customers

zestybeard

Cheers for the offer Vortex, but am looking for 32t. My legs can only just about cope with that level of abuse on my 30lbs spicy when it gets really steep. But I was looking down the route of a g-ring. Why are you selling it?

zestybeard

Thanks for the advice klein. Noted.

Vortexracing

I have gone to 2 x 10

my legs couldn’t stand it either 😳

takisawa2

I run a (Goldtech via Tazzy) Wobble ring. Ok, so its not going to last like a Surly SS one but many many months in its showing little sign of wear. I (think) it can be flipped when worn, so will have been £45 well spent. Don’t know if they can run a 10spd chain though.

zestybeard

I’m sure the Tazzy would run a 10. Where do you get them from? Or are they a closely guarded secret?

shaggy

I have a Homebrew ring. It’s very nice and was well priced. As mentioned Hombrew have a reputation of taking ages but I didn’t have to wait too long.
    I also have a Goldtec Onekey ring. I bought it direct from them. Finish isn’t brilliant and it a bit tight on a 10 speed chain. Renthal and E13 are also good. Hope look goo but I havn’t used one of those.

tazzymtb

Where do you get them from?

give Kev at BETD goldtec a ring

zestybeard

How much do they come in at Tazzy?

zestybeard

Am considering a hope one. Shaggy…how much was the homebrew one?

tazzymtb

How much do they come in at Tazzy?

not sure on retail, I got mine in a group buy so got a bit of discount, talk nicely to kev and probably mid 40’s

zestybeard

And that’s compatible with a 1×10 set-up yeah? Because the ring is ovalized yeah?

jameso

For a 1×10 on the cheap+durable, the on-one stainless CNC 32T look a good bet. Got one for a long+filthy ride bike and it looks well made. The Goldtec ovals are a bit pricey to wear out in the slop, they work imo and seem to do ok wear-wise but the wear / pressure burring can be seen to be concentrated in 2 areas so to me they’re a performance rather than a longevity option. If they make a stainless or ti one I’m in though.. I did think about a round HBC ti ring but I’m sold on the Goldtec shape for SSing and can get 2 of them for one HBC ti.
    I found the oval to be a faff with my superstar paul-comp copy chain keeper when using gears at the back, chain keeper was too small / shallow, but it ‘should’ work with a deeper chain guide, MRP style?

(If there was a Goldtec 24 steel /34 Ti oval set with small shift pins for ‘compromised but acceptable’ shifting as well as deep enough teeth for SS use, that could be a great set-up)

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a ti chainring from Experimental Prototype, less than £40 (forget exactly how much) came pretty quickly, weighs chuff all, has lasted brilliantly, looks good. Works for me.

IA

Got a salsa 32t single ring, wasn’t too pricey, lasting well.

frazchops
    Free Member

I’ve ordered stuff from Homebrewed in the past, it took a few months but not that bad. However, I had to bring up a paypal dispute over a newer order, almost 4 months with no communication is a definite no-no.

I’d look elsewhere if you want anything this side of Christmas if at all!

tinsy
    Free Member

If you was looking at a G ring, just go for the one offered you wont notice 1t on the front, and you do have the option of that 36t rear after all.

zestybeard

Decided to go for a 32t hope. Guessed it would all be much of a muchness with Alu.

Need to keep the weight down see. But I’m sure I will be sacrificing strength and long wear.

I think I will save for a Boone ti. By the time I have done that and it arrives. I’m sure the hope will be knackered. Their one piece bash+ring looks nice. But what a waste when it wears. Was waiting for it to come out but I think I will avoid it now.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I got bored of waiting for nice shiney chainrings, Mainly because they take ages to arrive and then don’t really last.

I run Surly rings and cogs and have hammered them with no problems. Easy and quick to get hold of too.

A lot to be said for simple easy to get hold of parts.

zestybeard

Indeed

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Titanium chainrings and Homebrewed Components’ is closed to new replies.