Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Titanium brake mount bolts – ok?
  • benz
    Free Member

Looking to save some g’s over normal stainless.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-Mount-Bolts-for-Avid-Calipers-/260812982514?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cb9aa48f2#ht_366wt_919

I’m guessing no issues with using Ti for this purpose?

Yes I know that stainless will work just fine but plenty folks use carbon bars, etc, etc so I do not want reponses along lines of “Have a big cr*p to save more weight and it’s cheaper too”.

Northwind

Pretty common I think. Saves bugger all weight mind but that doesn’t stop me. ( I even bought some different length ones to perfectly fit bikes, reducing extra metal. Do I know how to party or what?)

Only concern I ever have is that you can’t really judge quality- some cheap bolts seem decent, some expensive ones seem pish.

amedias
    Free Member

decent Ti bolts will be fine, cheap ones probably will too but who know for sure…

and seriously, I know you said no ‘Have a cr@p’ style responses but in replacing the 4 steel brake mounting bolts with Ti you’ll probably save what 10-15g if you’re lucky, is that REALLY worth it?

You could probably wear 10g worth of tread off a tyre with a big skid….

dannybgoode

If you leave a big skid after a good dump you could look to change your undercrackers as there’ll be a good 10g there also…

Cheers

Danny B

julianwilson
    Free Member

My formula oro puro brakes came with titanium caliper and adapter bolts. (as well as pad retainer and bar clamp bolts, but not the rotor bolts iirc) Judging by the comedically risk-averse language and frequent legalese disclaimers used throughout the oro manual, I don’t think they would supply ti bolts for those applications if they were in any doubt. 😆

honourablegeorge

Mhy Hope X2s came with bags of Ti lever and rotor bolts. But the supplied black lever bolts look too nice to remove, and there’s no way I’m replacing twelve rotor bolts by choice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Titanium brake mount bolts – ok?’ is closed to new replies.