Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tired legs – Recovery time for non-pro
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am building up my general fitness while trying to minimize the impact on my ankle which basically means crossfit trainer and swimming for me.

I do between 30-45 minutes of crossfit aiming to keep heart around 115 – 120 BPM and then swim 1km each day.

Last week I went for the Thursday night slow ride only to discover my legs were to tired to peddle.

How long does it take to get the energy back in the legs?

I plan to ride tomorrow night but don’t want to go out tired so do I go to the gym today or not?

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just posted an almost identical question on Cycle Chat. As you get older recovery takes longer especially if you’ve really been giving it some beans, as you have. I’m finding now that I need three clear days for muscles to recover from a good ride and even then I still feel long-term tired. A week of rest and good food makes a big difference and it’s not long enough to put on weight.

At this time of year lots of us are trying to build fitness and muscle bulk for the summer while losing weight so we are getting the nutrition and rest wrong, I suspect.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Three days?

I guess I am getting old so that’s not unreasonable. I guess just a gentle swim today and tomorrow then.

I am aiming more for weight loss with fitness being a benefit.

They are probably going to fuse my ankle in September so I will be on crutches for 3 months at least after that. Seems a bit pointless getting brilliant cycling legs just for the doctors to turn one into a hockey stick.

Weight loss however has a bigger benefit as I put less strain on the ankle and have less weight to lug around on the crutches.

Making good progress so far I think, just another 2 stone to go

Date Stones Pounds Loss
    23-Feb 17st 03 241 0.00
    02-Mar 16st 12 236 5.00
    09-Mar 16st 13 237 -1.00
    16-Mar 16st 11 235 2.00
    23-Mar 16st 08 232 3.00
    30-Mar 16st 08 232 0.00
    06-Apr 16st 07 231 1.00
    13-Apr 16st 02 226 5.00

digga
    Free Member

Don’t forget that it is not necessarily a ‘bad’ thing to cycle with tired legs. I’ve started quite a few rides with aches and tiredness from an earlier run or ride and had a pretty decent time.

Often, a steady warm-up can see off the worst aches and tiredness and, if not, just take it very steady and use the ride to help recovery. Pumping the blood through tired muscles is not going to hurt them in itself.

whitestone
    Free Member

WCA – how old are you?

I’ve found that recovery becomes very dependent on actually following the recommended strategies, when you are young you can get away with things but with increasing age you have to be more careful. Also it (recovery) can be very variable, some days you recover almost immediately, others you have to ease right off

prezet
    Free Member

My legs ache most days that I commute. A few minutes into it and they’re gone.

Some protein (shake or otherwise) straight after a ride/exercise seems to stave it off a little.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

46. I guess my legs ache from pushing 40 🙂

Last week the leg ache was not the kind that gets better when you ride, I recognise that type. This was more like the energy drained bonk that sometimes happens at the end of the ride.

I think it was because on the Wednesday and Thursday I had done 45 minutes crossfit and 40 lengths quite quickly (for me) on top of slower 30 minutes crossfit and 40 length swims on Sunday – Tuesday.

Just tired legs. Don’t want the same tomorrow night

leftyboy
    Free Member

Aged 50 here and really suffered after my first 5K of the year on Sat, took until Monday to recover but rode Monday night and last night and legs are fine today.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try those 2XU recovery tights – get smaller than you would normally want to wear.

I had incredibly fast recovery from them the only time I wore them skiing – so knackered at the end of the day that I thought I wouldn’t be able to make the next day – worse tights overnight – next day brand new legs – skied off piste all day inc 2 40 minutes climbs with skis on rucksack and no tiredness.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Ha Ha–46-don’t even think you are getting old at your age! Just turned 59 and it’s only been the last few years that my recovery has become a bit lethargic. Sounds like you have just overdone it a bit, lots of exercise & heavy labouring taking it’s toll. I remember one ride with my regular group that I started with tired legs, thought it would ride off–35 miles of purgatory later they still ached, every pedal stroke was an effort. Even beer & Crisps mid ride didn’t help!. Sometimes it happens.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just had 3 tonnes of topsoil delivered at the front of the drive. Now just need to hand shovel and barrow it round to the back of the house. At least the loaded runs are mostly down hill. Tramadol taken and ankle braces doubled up!

I guess I will miss the gym this afternoon

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

That’ll test how well those slabs are bedded!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A bag and a half and no signs of slabs moving. Another bag and a half to go.

Looks like I might get another bag of two for tomorrow or Friday to repair the lawn

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

EDIT – moved to landscaping thread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tired legs – Recovery time for non-pro’ is closed to new replies.