Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tired 7 Speed roadbike – write off?
  • richcc
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giant OCR that I got for £100 5 or 6 years ago so it doesn’t owe me anything. It’s got 7 speed Sora on it and a screw on freehub(?)
    The drivetrain is past it’s best but 7 speed mechs seem to no longer available.

My thinking is that I could stick a 10 speed setup on it but that’s going to cost me a new rear wheel, cassette, chain, pair of mechs, brake levers/shifters and cables.

Am I missing an obvious and cost effective route to getting it roadworthy again? (don’t need another single speed, got a roadrat) or am I best getting the ubiquitous £1000 roadbike on Cycle to Work?

Cheers

wors

I’ve dot anOCR about the same age, I think it’s a great frame worthy of upgrading, it’s what I did.

martymac

7/8/9 speed mechs are all interchangable, (not sure about road 10 speed)

richcc
    Free Member

Thanks Martymac. So cable pull of a 7 speed shifter on a 9 speed mech would act to move it properly on a 7 sp cassette? If so the OCR may rise again!

martymac

yes, ive got a 1990 rx100 mech which ive used 7, 8 and 9 speed. works perfect.it originally had 7 spd downtube shifters, i now use it with 9 spd tiagra sti units, no problem at all.

mattsccm
    Free Member

7 speed Sti has a certain level of demand. It’s quite possible that it would sell for a decent price that would go a good way towards a more modern nset up. I’d fix the bike and ride it though..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tired 7 Speed roadbike – write off?’ is closed to new replies.