Tips for removing wallpaper?

Home Forum Chat Forum Tips for removing wallpaper?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tips for removing wallpaper?
  • crikey

Paper over it, life’s too short.

gusamc

I used a steamer (*don’t overuse as it can impact plaster) and that made a big difference

Premier Icon matthewjb
    Subscriber

Steam stripper

Get one where the water is a separate base rather than the bit you hold. You arms will thank you after a few hours. Like this:

I’d hire one unless you have a massive house. The one above is £10 for a day from HSS.

Mikkel

or just go buy a steamer from wickes, B&Q etc for 20-25 quid, hiring is just not worth it as all you seem to get is a bigger water tank. and by the time the smaller tank is empty you want a break anyway.

Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

I normally score the paper with the edge of the scraper then wet with a damp sponge. Just keep doing different areas so the water soaks in.

spchantler

pva solution brushed on seems to work well also. as above, don’t let a steamer stay in one place too long unless you want to re skim the walls

project

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painting+Decorating/Wallpapering/Perforator/d150/sd3252/p63466
    You need one of theses, runover wall a few times gently, then some warm water with washing up liqyuid in it and aply to wall, paper will now peel easy.

or live in a flat and let the woman above have a new washing machine and not connect the outflow to anything and then go to work, leave for a few hours and wait until neighbour comes home, and finds water pouring down walls, and wallpaper coming off quite well.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Plain wall paper and wallpaper on the ceiling preferably without removing the plaster.

samuri

I normally just give it all a good wipe down with a very damp sponge and it mostly comes off nice and easy with a quick scrape.

johndoh

Join your local Freecycle and get/ask for one there. I got mine like that and our local group always seems to have one on offer.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Cheers all – especially for the wicks steamer which had been most excellent.

Not sure sure I picked the best day to do it but that’s 1/3 of two rooms done!

mightymule

No 1 tip – don’t use a steamer on a day like today…. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tips for removing wallpaper?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top