Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tips for a trip to Boston
  • crispo
    Free Member

The girlfriend and I have booked 4 nights in Boston (USA not lincolnshire :lol:) for the 2nd weekend in December.

So who has been and what can you recommend? Looking for things to see and do, places to eat and drink etc. Its our 4 year anniversary while were out there so any nice restaurants that can be recommended would be good!

Thanks

DrJ

I think there was a thread about this not so long ago.

Freedom Trail
    North End and Faneuil Hall
    Cambridge – Harvard Square, walk by Charles River etc

Eating – Legal Seafoods is well known

jimster
    Free Member

The “Cheers” bar is on the Peace trail/walk thingy.

Pop down to Cape Cod for a mooch about.

Raindog
    Free Member

We hired a car when we were there (17 years ago mind). I wouldn’t bother if I went again, the city is a nightmare to navigate and cabs will be cheaper anyway. I would try to get down Cape Cod though, and you may need a one day hire for that.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

It may be very cold: go prepared. Cape Cod is worth a mooch and Provincetown has a nice mellow vibe but is a long drive to get there. Salem (of witch trials “fame”) was interesting and I had “Scallops and chips” there in a seaside restaurant: amazing- lightly battered and I got more scallops than chips (about fifty!)

DrJ

On the subject of traffic .. as it says in Love Story

“You’re driving like a lunatic”
    “This is Boston, everyone drives like a lunatic”

mossimus
    Free Member

Bar/Restaurant at the top of the Prudential tower has nice views. Good atmosphere in the Union Oyster house. Boston has plenty of traditional pubs. Little Italy for huge portions for little money.

Would second a trip to Cape Cod if you have the time.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Pick up RedSox cap at Fenway Park.

Legal Seafoods, although a chain was very good. Huuuge surf and Turf 🙂

MM

Pigface
    Free Member

After last night dont say “You got to love those Orioles” to anyone

BillMC

OReilly’s is a good little pub, v friendly, I think St Paul on the green T line going south is the nearest stop. Be careful with ordering seafood, the portions can be massive. The walk to Harvard is v pleasant but Harvard itself is pretty nondescript after Oxford, C
    ambridge etc.

warton
    Free Member

second Cape Cod, go to a beachside shack and eat cheap lobster. It’s years since i’ve been in Boston centre tbh, but fenway park is good, if theres a game on

16stonepig
    Free Member

Go catch a hockey game. They won the cup last season (Go Bruins!) so the atmosphere is bound to be decent.

Sam Adams brewery tour is also a good look too.

legend
    Free Member

Red Sox game, in the sun preferrably though
    Cheers is a massive disappointment imo
    Old Ironsides is worth a look if you’re into that sort of thing
    Hiring a car and heading up the coast to the likes of Portsmouth and Kennebunkport is good
    Cheesecake factory is a must
    Italian quarter for pizza and cannolis
    Cambridge if you want a wonder around Harvard
    Cape Cod, Newport,etc are likely to be dead in December
    Erm that’s all I can add right now

16stonepig
    Free Member

Red Sox game, in the sun preferrably though

In December?

legend
    Free Member

That’s kinda what I was meaning 🙂 however, with right amount of beer on board……..

m1kea
    Free Member

Despite having flown into Boston twice this year we’ve not been in the city for a few years so I’m going to be a bit rusty. That said we have stayed there three times in the past.

Walk. There’s a Bostonian phrase, “shall we walk or have we got time to drive?”
    DON’T do Cheers. – Tourist trap with grumpy staff.
    If you like history and ships, visit the USS Constitution. If the weather’s good, you can then walk around Bunker Hill afterwards.
    Not done them but baseball and hockey are very popular.
    Take the T and mooch around Harvard.
    The Hilltop Steakhouse is a famously massive eatery but Rte 1 is a horrible road and I’m not sure how much a cab would cost.
    Salem has by American standards, a lot of history but it’s quite bleak in winter and very cheesy with the naff witch hunt stores etc.

Pigface
    Free Member

Red Sox game after last night 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

djglover
    Free Member

Whale watching trip and tapas at torros were the highlights of my trip there.

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks all, some good ideas there! Will do some research on all the places mentioned. Looks like we will have plenty to do.

Just as an aside has any one been specifically in december? Is there much christmas stuff going on and is it busier than usual?

Cheers

m1kea
    Free Member

Have stayed over thanksgiving and usually pass through late Jan/Feb enroute for skiing.

So we know winter can be cold and/or snowy so dress appropriately. The Yanks don’t have boxing day but do like a celebration so there will be lots of things going on.

IIRC you need to get a bus from Logan to the airport T station (assuming that’s how you’re getting in to town) but they’re free.

Oh and try and get window seats on the flights as Logan is actually very close to downtown and you get a cracking view landing and taking off.

Finally, have you sorted your estas out?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tips for a trip to Boston’ is closed to new replies.