Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Time to ditch the stereo?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a decent stereo and have my computer playing thru it. I realise I have only used the computer for a source for ages – either tunes I have loaded on it or spotify.

At the moment I have output from ‘puter into one amp playing a pair of speakers at the computer and the line out from that amp into the main amp playing 4 pairs of speakers around the house

So – should I ditch the CD player turntable and cassette deck I no longer use and just use the computer as a source. Its disc player will play audio cds should I want to.

What do I lose? I gain not needing so many boxes and wires. Is the CD in the computer really any less than a cambridge audio CDplayer?

philconsequence
    Free Member

cambridge audio eh…. sounds like a brand to me you kinky beast!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

What turntable do you have? dibbs if it’s any good.

Cheers 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Technics with a decent ortofon cartridge.

Nowt fancy. Turntable ain’t been touched in decades

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Give ye a bag of jelly babies for it.

ericemel
    Free Member

I ditched my cd player with no regrets at all. CD’s for me is now an archive format.

I still buy cd’s – they get ripped to HDD and archived. I eventually moved to a Sonos system as I found it preferable to a PC.

mugsys_m8

I’m interested in this. Ish.
    I have all my cd’s as MP3’s and am looking for a mp3 player woth hard disc that I can connect up to the stereo rather than using a computer. I would like a screen and a remote. We don’t have a tv, but reguarly use a projector with a built in DVD player and also accept input from a computer etc.
    I’ve seen the Brennan,b ut not sure it does exactly what I want.

People say just use an ipod with a docking station, but to me it doesn’t seem the best way.

I’d like a separates style MP3 player, with screen that I can play via an amp/ receiver.

Not intersedted in the likes of squeezebox etc as that still needs a computer.

vorlich
    Free Member

Everyone needs a Sonos

Cougar

Can’t remember the last time I played a CD. Most of the music I listen to these days is broadcast (DAB / Sky / Spotify). I’d rip them all and put ’em in a box if I could decide how best to rip / name / tag / store etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes but flog it for a decent sound card.

BoardinBob

Sold all my CDs. Everything on Spotify now. No regrets.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I would use itunes.

Rip your CDs to AAC format in iTunes, and then you can say goodbye to skipping and disc scratches etc.

Do you use itunes? Do you need to know how to change settings for importing your own disc library?

frogstomp

+1 for Sonos (or similar) and a NAS..

vorlich
    Free Member

+1 for Sonos (or similar) and a NAS..

Oh, and a DAC too if you really want to maximise sound quality

AndyRT
    Free Member

or itunes, apple TV (optical output to stereo) and a TV

Cougar

The Sonos looks a nice system but, HOW MUCH?

TBH, I think what I need is just a large hard disk with a USB connection (to plug into the BD player as an external storage device) and a network card (to populate it from the PC).

I’ve been streaming media from the PC for a while now, but a) that means the noisy PC needs to be on all the time, and b) with HD getting more prevalent I’m losing video quality and surround sound due to transcoding.

Hm.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Have you got a PS3? It does quite well if you put the mp4s on its HD or thought its USB. My NAS is old and rubbish, and keeps buffering, so just use it as a back up, well I did until Apple stopped supporting smb protocols….

theyEye
    Free Member

iPhone/iPod/Android “docked” to the stereo or TV wirelessly with airport express or Apple TV sounds like what you’re after mugsys_m8. I’ve always been an Apple hater, but their stuff is slowly taking over my house. Too many times when I have a ‘need’, they have the best piece of hardware to address it…

theyEye
    Free Member

double post

Cougar

Have you got a PS3?

Me? Xbox rather than PS3.

As I said though, the BD player gives me that functionality. I tested it with a USB key the other day, it works very well.

frogstomp

Yes, and no.. I didn’t have a stereo at the time so a ZP120 (built-in amplifier) and a pair of speakers, linked to my existing NAS, for less than £350 seemed a good buy – was on a stonking deal at the time though!

ericemel
    Free Member

And once you have you’re first sonos setup you can add more around the house, I have a ZP90 (digitally into a decent hifi) in my living room and S5 in my bedroom – bloody love the way it all syncs the music.

Will wire one into the bathroom at some point!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

leading on to what about the Logitech equivelant. cheaper and using a NAS means having to hack a Buffalo Linkstation or somthing similar. Anyone know anything about them?

ericemel
    Free Member

Haha look at the Naim streaming series for a shock!

BigButSlimmerBloke – the logitech stuff is good, but you do need software on your music server (be it nas, pc, mac, etc) to push music to your player. TO me this is un-needed hassle – I am a simple kinda guy(ish). But the big seller on the Sonos is the multiroom ability.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

As always, it depends 😉

Are you sitting down to listen to music in a decent room or is Sonos style ‘on in the background’

I’ve a couple of CD players, an Arcam and a really nice Marantz CD63SE KI Sig (that I swapped with a mate for said ‘packet of jelly beans’ as he said he didn’t need CDs anymore – I’ve about 3,000 of them BTW)

Sit down and listen to either CD player in direct comparison to the ipod or ‘puter and yes I can hear the difference. Small degrees maybe and perhaps I am listening for the difference but I can hear it*

Still have all my vinyl and regularly play that too including through a pair of 1210s that I still DJ with. Well, I’m not ‘analogue’ andy for nothing 😉

*with my knackered middle aged ears!

Cougar

Haha look at the Naim streaming series for a shock!

I can about imagine…!

I think TBH if I was setting up a house rather than a room, the modular Sonos would be a good way of doing it. For my purposes though, it’s probably overkill.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

cassette deck

what are you going to play your tapes on???

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Our CD’s are all ripped as .wav file, stored on an external drive and played back through a computer attached to the hifi and TV. I’ve boxed up all the CD’s and stuck them up in the loft. Although I’ve backed up the files, I’d still rather hang on to the original source if at all possible.

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I have the Logitech equivalent of the Sonos system – Squeezebox which is much cheaper and I find user friendly. There are regular Squeezebox deals on HotUKDeals to make the cost even lower. Supports FLAC files stored on my NAS (you run Squeezeserver on the NAS).
    I have the Squeezebox Classic (connected to speaker set up), a squeezebox controller (connected to amp) and two squeezebox radios which have a single speaker (sat in the kitchen and bedroom). Absolutely great!

Example HUK deal:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/logitech-squeezebox-radio-white-logitch-online-store-89-00-1038363

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Thanks for starting this thread… Reminded me to stop listening just to the computer and fire up the hifi… Infinitely better…

Might have to explore airport and FLAC options but I’m not sure I CBA to burn 700 CDs again…

RichPenny
    Free Member

How is your music ripped TJ? If it’s all as 128k mp3 I probably wouldn’t bother with a decent soundcard or external dac. At decent quality though and that would be my advice if you like the convenience of the pc interface.

Currently have about 800gb of wavs on the NAS, but still using a cd player because it sounds better than the hard disc player. Though it would clear plenty of space, not sure if I’m ready to put them in the loft. Encoding the vinyl is the worrying part 🙁

frogstomp

I did that when I got my Sonos.. ditched the plastic cases too so now 400+ CDs fit in one small(ish) flight case.

CountZero

I’d like a separates style MP3 player, with screen that I can play via an amp/ receiver.
    Not intersedted in the likes of squeezebox etc as that still needs a computer.

Just get an older model Mac Mini. Take out the optical drive and get an outboard Samsung one, and install an extra HDD in its place. A small monitor and you’re away. Mine has 1.1Tb of internal storage, and the dealer found an extra 2Gb of RAM for free when I bought it for £430. The extra HDD, a BT keyboard and a Trackpad took it to £630.

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve got a jbl 3 piece thingy that I plugged into my laptop, it was fine until I started reading all the hi fi threads on here…

😆

dobo
    Free Member

i use a nas and serviio to stream all my media to sony bdp370 tv and amp, its all really overkill but its just really convieniant to have all your music and video played at the push of a button.
    check out hp microserver as the basis for a custom nas

oh and wth has happened to hdd prices recently!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta folks

I love the people telling me to get another box of elecktrickery – I want to get rid of some.

All the hardwiring is already in place as well so no need for wireless streaming stuff

Food for thought tho

Del

if it all still works, why would you get rid?
    by all means encode all your stuff at a decent bit rate, for when the day comes, but until then, keep it, and if it’s half decent, remember to spark it up now and again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It would all end up in cupboards – its just about simplifying the number of boxes of elecktrickery I have

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

ditched the plastic cases too so now 400+ CDs fit in one small(ish) flight case.

I know i should have done that, even went to the trouble of buying a few hundred plastic sleeves to get started but It felt wrong throwing away the cases.

I think this might be a clue that I’m not really ready for the demise of physical media.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Put on a CD last night. Sounded lovely.

Twenty seconds into reading about all this other stuff and my eyes just glazed over…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Time to ditch the stereo?’ is closed to new replies.