• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tinned/Jarred tomatoes how much do you pay?
  • bruneep

Would you pay £5 for a tin/jar? 😯 😯

I buy a tray (12) from either Lidl or Aldi that probably costs me £5.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like how they make it easy to formulate a response:

Maybe our panel can convince you it’s worth the expense if you want a great tomato sauce …

No. No they cant, you predictably unctuous Guardianistas!

Anyway, I feel sorry for Andreasveg, since he’s now going to have his email inbox flooded with Tabithas and Sebastians demanding stashes of expensive tinned toms. Especially as it’s a hell of a hike from Islington to Chelsea to drop in on Andreas personally.

CHB

hell…no way! Cirio are the best of the tinned brands, much better than others. But if making pasta I normally use Lidl or Aldi fresh tomatoes. Lidl often have punnets of fresh cherry tomatoes for under 50p. Why would you use tinned when fresh is so cheap? From July onwards my allotment yields crazy quantities of perfect Rosada F1 cherry tomatoes for all my cooking and salad needs.

slowoldman

No I buy cheap tomatoes so I can afford decent wine.

chickenman

A Jarred one would be pretty sh*t hot at Enduro, no?

geoffj

No. No they cant, you predictably unctuous Guardianistas!

PMSL

raisinhat
    Free Member

Why would you use tinned when fresh is so cheap?

In the summer, fresh ones are absolutely better, no question. But in winter when the fresh tomatoes in the supermarket are watery and flavourless, tinned ones are much much better.

CHB

I agree that fresh have about a 4 month window when they are rubbish. But from March to November you can get great UK or Spanish tomatoes. We use lots of tinned tomatoes as they are better for some stuff, but fresh can be really cheap and tasty in the long season where they are available.

shermer75
    Free Member

For £5 I’d want a 6 litre can. That was divided into 15 smaller cans for convenient use.

Drac

About 40p from Aldi perfectly fine for a spag bog.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tinned/Jarred tomatoes how much do you pay?’ is closed to new replies.