Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Time off the bike after a bump on the head.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I had a wee crash yesterday which included going head first into a tree and resulted in a broken helmet, a bent neck, a drive to hospital for a check up, and a CT scan to check there was no bleeding or broken vertebrae. Thankfully there were neither of those, but a sobering experience nonetheless. My wife told me to ask them how long I should wait until I go back on my bike, citing the increased vulnerability for a period of time after a bang on the head. I forgot to ask, so she said “why not ask on that bike website you’re always on, they’ll know”.

So does anyone know?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’d have thought, if you’re not sore or injured, then as soon as you want.

rOcKeTdOg

As above if you have no post concussion symptoms.

shermer75
    Free Member

Are you waiting for any more test results?

atlaz
    Free Member

Maybe ask your doctor/hospital?

legend
    Free Member

Last time I scraped myself off the hill and went riding the next day – this is not necessarily good advice.

cloudnine
    Free Member

As both brain cells are fine.. 12 hours maximum

thegreatape
    Free Member

Only waiting to be able to turn my head again 🙂

I may ring the hospital to see, always worth checking on here for a qualified opinion though.

It’ll probably be a week anyway until a new brake and shifter arrive.

takisawa2

Back in the 80’s, on the BMX, it was as soon as you could stand up.

Kryton57

Only waiting to be able to turn my head again

I did the same in a race (swap tree for bike), ending up with concussion. I raced again a week later. My neck was sore for about 3 months though.

kimbers

I was told 6 weeks after I did mine, that was partly coz the swelling and stitches wouldn’t let me wear a helmet, until 4 weeks when I started commuting by bike again then another 2 for off road

thegreatape
    Free Member

The only treatment was a mug of tea and a plate of chocolate biscuits before I went home, so I guess I’m good to go.

jekkyl

As long as it takes for a new helmet to come through the post?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah yes, good point.

rOcKeTdOg

chocolate biscuits

blimey, you must have private healthcare insurance

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well we help them out from time to time…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given your job and role and the need to chase bad guys and get in scuffles I would want proper advice

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s why I asked on here 😀

(point taken)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Professional advice is that, as suggested above, since there’s no head injury then there is no need to wait.

flatfish
    Free Member

Had a snowboard stack at easter, resulting in a small bleed to the brain but nothing else.
    Advice from French doctors and UK GP was a couple of weeks.
    I managed it, just.

ferrals
    Free Member

I had a crash yesterday, whacked my head and gave myself whiplash or similar really sore neck/spine, x-ray said no broken vertebrae so as long as I felt i could handle the pain to go for it when asked if I could race on sunday. I said what about my head as it hurts. Docs response – of course it hurts you landed on it!

I’m planning on a rugby-esque phased return to play, bit of turbo tomorrow then a short real world ride on Sat, and if all oges well then racing Sun. my main concern is if I’ll be able to get over hurdles ok.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What do you mean by hurdles? Literal or metaphorical?

I’ll have had an enforced week off at least by the time my new brake lever, shifter and helmet arrive.

I’m quite unsure as to what effect it will have on me. I’ve had crashes before that have resulted in breaking things (fingers, ribs) but never had my neck bent from hitting a tree before. A few years ago a local chap was killed after crashing into a tree and snapping his neck. Outwardly I’ve been quite blase about it, but I don’t feel like that inside. It’s a sobering thought.

ferrals
    Free Member

What do you mean by hurdles? Literal or metaphorical?

Literal – ‘cross racing

thegreatape
    Free Member

I see. Good luck on Sunday!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Couple of weeka.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I broke my elbow and knee in quick succession. It took 9 months of being back on the bike to re-gain my mojo!

They weren’t life-endangering crashes or even particularly spectacular. It’s just as you get older then you think a bit more about what-ifs.

Glad it wasn’t worse. Now get riding, ya big jessie!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Without a front brake (possibly unwise), shifter (definitely impossible, we’ve got hills) or helmet (she’d kill me)! 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 concussions and so personally I’d take it easy for at least a week or two. After my last one cleared my doctor (who mostly looks after ice hockey concussions) said “you’re cleared for contact but that doesn’t mean you should immediately start going and looking for it”

Which I felt was sensible advice and I’d suggest riding fairly soon will be fine if you don’t have any concussion symptoms but perhaps take it a bit easier for a short as well. Repeated impacts in quick succession are generally a bad thing.

ferrals
    Free Member

this is my concern re. racing (multiple hits), but I need 1 more to qualify for the league so thinking a steady ‘social’ race if my back is up to it.

Not that I’ve head any concussion symptoms, didnt even get that dazed feeling when it happened. only anger that i was stupid enough to go full pelt down an unknown trail on a cx bike!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Time off the bike after a bump on the head.’ is closed to new replies.