Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Time for a new hardtail
  • Stevie-P
    Free Member

Having worked in a Trek/Giant dealership for the last few years, that’s all I’ve ridden. Not a bad thing of course but as I no longer work there I’m thinking of looking at other options.

So, recommend me a hardtail! I was looking at a Trek 9.7 or 9.8 carbon but, like I said above, now looking at other options.

The Trek is an awesome bike and rides so well that I might still go with that option but they are quite pricey when compared to similar spec alternatives.

Ideally carbon frame with XT (or above) spec and Fox 100s up front.

As for budget, well, the 9.7 retails at around £2200 and the 9.8 at around £2700 but I would like to reduce that quite a lot if I can (hence me looking at other brands)!

danlurinsky
    Free Member

Not carbon but you could look at an orange elite?

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Would prefer carbon but worth considering alternatives.

Crell
    Free Member

Best bike I’ve owned is my whyte 19c. It’s a do it all bike that I always go back to. With the sales on you can pick them up for 1800ish

cullen-bay
    Free Member

over a trek carbon bike there isnt much that will be nicer. cannondale flash? scott 899?

iainc

so you want a 100mm fork xt hardtail – why carbon ?

the classic answer would be steel….

Rock Lobster 853 – you could have a 27lb one with full xt for less than £1500 I reckon

sambob
    Free Member

Custom build whippet? Could make a very light one for 2k.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Hmm, those Whippet frames any good?

chakaping
    Free Member

2011 Boardmans worth a look as well as On One Whippet.

Cube also good value I expect.

Not ridden any of them myself of course!

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Did think about a Scott 899, nice those are 🙂

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Was aiming for early 20s (prob about 24lb) rather than 27 odd but steel does ride well.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Any more for any more?

BadlyWiredDog

Ti Piglet?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Cove Handjob with Reba Race (iirc) forks and middling components (X-9, Deus, Thomson, Hope hubs, Mavic XC717 rims) 25lbs.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Having just seen the 2011 Boardman’s, how about an EM1.7 at just over 18lbs!!! Carbon loverliness abound.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Time for a new hardtail’ is closed to new replies.