Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Time crunched cyclist
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Anyone had success with the Carmicheal plan?

Not raced all this year as I’ve had no top end for a few years now. Stuck in shed loads of base, lost weight and now I want to get some top end for September when my CX league kicks in.
    Looking to find 30 seconds for every 10 minutes. Aiming to get in quick enough to be able to do another lap.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Dunno about that but Obree is writing/ has written a book on this subject. Will be a good read.

kilo

Not tried that but used pyramid intervals, from Adham Topham’s book, on the turbo to pb in tt’ing this year;

warm up
    8 x 15sec on zone 5 45 sec off
    8 min active recovery
    6x1min on zone 5 2 mins off
    8 min active recovery
    3 x5mins on zone 5 6 mins off
    warm down

Horrible work out supposedly to work fast twitch quick fatiguing, fast twitch slow fatiguing and finaly slow twitch muscles. Set the session up on a Garmin before hand have to use heart rate zones as don’t have power meter

beej

Yeah, used it to go from no riding for 8 weeks to a decent time in the 100 mile Cotswold Spring Classic. Did about 2 weeks of moderate stuff on the turbo before following the TCC plan.

It’s very similar to lots of other “build” period plans though – e.g. Joe Friel/Training Peaks ones. The TCC plan just misses out the concept of the base period but does point out the limitations of doing this – i.e. you can’t sustain the peak for more than 3 weeks or so, then you’ll need to have some time off. He doesn’t recommend following it more than twice a year either.

(Oh, powermeter helps, or you need to be able to judge intensity quite weel)

boxelder

Didn’t have time to read past the first bit which was about making more time in your life by only reading one section of the paper over breakfast – time crunched my ar$e.

oldgit
    Free Member

Kilo I’ll have a look at that as well, my copy of TCC should be here Tuesday though. But it’s interesting to see you got results with your plan.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Time crunched cyclist’ is closed to new replies.