Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Time ATAC vs Eggbeaters
  • traildog
    Free Member

I have been using Time pedals for years and always liked them. However, recently I developed a knee problem and amongst many other things, I was advised to try changing my pedals to Speedplay as the free float is better for my knees than the spring centred float of the Times.
    So I’ve been using Speedplay for a bit, but there are a few things I struggle to get on with and so I’m thinking of going back to Times and see how my knee gets on with them.

However, while flicking through a magazine the other night, I saw a review of eggbeaters which said that there was a floating on ice feel to them which the tester didn’t like and it wasn’t like the connected feel of the Times. So this has got me wondering, are eggbeaters more free floating and less of a returning spring feel? If so, perhaps they might be more knee friendly for me.

Can anyone who has used both let me know how they differ in feel?

z1ppy

Have you tried your Times, using the cleats on the wrong feet… to increase their float? (as per the instructions)

Not tried eggbeaters, so can’t help with the question…

RealMan
    Free Member

Just remember everything crank bros have ever made is either about to fall apart, is falling apart, or has fallen apart.

z1ppy

except for my multi-tool!

I thought we were giving Eggbeater another chance, as they’ve re-designed them ‘not’ to fall apart when you sneeze.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I appear to be the only person in Britain that is completely satisfied with eggbeaters. I’ve got 4 pairs of them in different versions and they’ve all been fine, including one pair which have done over 15,000 miles without any attention. There is a fair amount of float and sound like they might well be worth a try given what you are looking for.

stevehine

I concur with muppetWrangler; so that’s two of us – I’ve got two pairs from when they were first released still going strong; one on my mtb; one on my road bike.

Of course; karma dictates that one will fall apart on the next ride and lacerate my calf due to such a claim…

RV
    Free Member

We sell more egg beater service kits than we sell egg beaters. Since ACL/PCL surgery I only use Time pedals though the new XTR pedals offer lots of float too. Never had to touch my time pedals and some are very very old with huge bearings. I pass them on to friends every now and then and they carry on using them.

SSBonty
    Free Member

@ RV – surely that’s because you buy 1 set of pedals, then service them more than once? They do need more work than XTR or Time, but for a while they were way lighter than anything else, and if you grease them regularly and change bearings/seals/busshings every so often they’re fine. I’ve had one fall apart on me in the middle of Russia, entirely my fault as I forgot to service before setting off.

@OP – If you need the float, eggbeaters are 15/20 degs depending on which was you put the cleats. I guess it depends what you don’t get on with on the speedplay?

popartpoem
    Free Member

Currently run two sets of Candy’s. Both with the Aluminium platform. They do need stripping and re-greasing fairly often, but at least you can get to the parts easily enough.
    Eggbeater’s look a bit exposed for someone with mediocre skill like me who keeps clipping rocks!

Had two sets of ATAC’s that lasted ages … One set I recently put on a road bike (because they accept
    Crank Bros cleats). The other I finally snapped one of the retainer bars on a rock after it had worn thin through loads and loads of use.
    Only downside is that you can’t really service them, so they squeak a lot over time.

I’ve used both makes because of the masses of float and tempremental knees, so surprised you’ve been recommended a change … It’s obviously sound advice, but did the advisor know that you already use a pedal with so much float?

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve got Eggs (or some variant thereof) on 4 bikes and have had them for years. I look after them occaisionally and they perform faultlessly.

Everything else CB ever made is overpriced shite though, it’s all style over substance

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just been lookng at Eggbeaters all the reviews say they fall apart, however new 2011 stuff redesigned to stop that, but no one knows as yet…

The new Egg 1’s still are cack though apparently. Only 2 upwards get full make over.

traildog
    Free Member

The point about the Times is that while there is float (and some side to side movement), it is against a spring. You really feel the difference when you move to Speedplays – at first your foot feels like it’s on ice! I was wondering if there is much difference in feel to eggbeaters in that the spring centring feel isn’t as strong (or if there is one).

RV
    Free Member

I have to say that we have not had a failure yet on the new eggs and the rep promised us that they had fixed the problems, so only time will tell.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Ok, I see your point.

IMO, whilst there is a difference in “feel” between Candy’s (Eggbeater’s with a small platform) and ATAC’s … the amount and fluidity of the Float is very similar and, if I had to pin it down, I’d say the Candy is a little “Floatier”

I’ve never triad Speedplay though.

rootes1

The point about the Times is that while there is float (and some side to side movement), it is against a spring.

I wish pedal people would call that side to side movement like on time atac ‘float’ and rotational allowance ‘rotation’

would be much more sensible…

woody74

I’ve had Eggbeathers from when they first came out and love them. Yes they are not the toughest things on the market but bike bits wear out and they work great.

BigJohn

I still adjust the cleat angle on my shoe with Times to get the most comfortable position.

wynne
    Free Member

I’ve had eggbeaters for about ten years and I love them. The pre-2010 models do need a bit of TLC fairly often, but I reckon they’re worth it. I use speedplay on my road bike and beaters on my XC and CX bikes because like you I like a bit of float.

One pair of eggbeaters that gave up the ghost on me were completely serviced by Pure (CB importers), with new bearings, springs and axles for £25. Their service was exceptional.

My wife, however, swears by Time pedals…

keavo
    Free Member

broke a few eggbeaters, always fixed free of charge by 2pure. never broke times. twice crashed while using eggbeaters and they didn’t release my shoe easily…….snapped a tendon in my ankle that was bad, worse i also tore my calf muscle which is now permanantly partialy detatched.

ratherbeintobago

Have had both CB and Time pedals, and FWIW the ATACs feel much more solid, with a better ‘positive’ engagement and similar amounts of float. The CB pedals didn’t self-destruct though…

Andy

ratherbeintobago

Double post. Ooopsy

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Time ATAC vs Eggbeaters’ is closed to new replies.