Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Time Atac pedals – ROC vs XS
  • mtbfix

What, price aside, are the practical differences? My CBs are loose again and I’ve had enough of rebuild kits every few months.

warpcow
    Free Member

ROC has a wider platform and the springs are independent of each other (the XS is basically just one big spring for both sides like a CB pedal). They weigh a bit more, but are worth it imo.

iainc

the ROC S also has a bit more float so even more knee friendly I find

mtbfix

Wider platform appeals. What are the bearings like? I had some mk.1 Atacs way back when and they lasted an eternity until some scrote nicked the bike.

iainc

no probs with mine and running them (ROC S) on 3 bikes for around 2 yrs so far

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Original ATACS were amazing. Katie’s still running a set on her old hardtail that must be 10 years old. Long since welded to the cranks but still run smoothly. It’s been road miles only for the last 5 years or so but still some 1000’s a year.

Original XS were abysmal and the bearings went in no time – no effective seals them. More recent XS got a seal which was a good idea and bearings last OK but the bars wear much quicker than the round bars and the way they work means if you smack the bottom with a rock they release.

I really like the ROC’s – the wider platform seems well designed and the feel really good. I managed to catch one of the metal plates on a rock first time out and had to hammer/file it smooth but that’s a minor criticism.

stooo
    Free Member

I’ve got some ROCs – switched from shimano SPDs after years of using them… had the ROCs about 10 months and they’ve been fantastic. Taken a beating from rocks etc, lasted through plenty of riding last winter and bearings still lovely and tight and smooth.

The extra support over things like CB egg beaters or std SPDs is brilliant, it’s like having a platform SPD.

mtbfix

My Candys are battered from rock strikes so no issue with a bit of surface damage here and there.

dobo
    Free Member

my only issue with my old aliums was that clipping in wasnt as fast or intuitve as spd’s. are the ROC’s any better in this respect?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

my only issue with my old aliums was that clipping in wasnt as fast or intuitve as spd’s. are the ROC’s any better in this respect?

I’ve never had any trouble with ATACs but find them all very similar. Suspect it’s just a slightly different technique that you get used to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Time Atac pedals – ROC vs XS’ is closed to new replies.