Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • tightening the lockring on a cassette
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

so is it absolutely essential i use a torque wrench to tighten the lockring when fitting a new cassette, or am i risking disaster by just guessing how hard to turn it?

Stoner
    Free Member

I just tighten it until the blood flow stops in my fingers 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just tighten until it goes ‘click, click, click’ but before it goes ‘click, click, click, click’…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

They really don’t need to be as tight as the lockring says.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

righto.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My internet connect seems so screwed today!

cynic-al
    Free Member

“firm” but not “gorilla firm”

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Just tighten until it goes ‘click, click, click’ but before it goes ‘click, click, click, click’…..

😆

Couldn’t have put it better myself. When it goes ‘click-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-SCRUNCH’ you’ve probably over-cooked it.

[wonders]

Is it actually possible to over-tighten a cassette lockring?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, particularly on alu freehub bodies you can quite easily rip the threads out.

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Yeah, careful not to strip the threads… From my experience, hope pro 2 alloy freehubs are made from cheap, low quality cheese.
    if it clikclikcliks then stop! and get a steel freehub body!!

clubber
    Free Member

Three or four proper clicks (rather than zips which is does as it start to lock) is about right – it only has to be tight enough to not come loose while riding which isn’t actually very tight.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

it’s going on a pro 2 as well… yikes. oh well, it’s a good quality cassette (SRAM 990, the one with the red bits in!) so i reckon it’ll be okay.

barca
    Free Member

Nooooo! The red bits are wear indicators! If you can see red bits, it’s already knackered.

I’m in need of a ‘showing red bits’ Sham 990 cassette, Don’t bin it, I’ll come and collect it off you. South Manchester I believe?

zaskar
    Free Member

Mine say 45Nm! so I use a long torque wrench-less strain-takes seconds.

the_lecht_rocks

why not buy a torque wrench ?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

barca… yeah, i’ll leave it on the wall outside ken fosters bike shop in chorlton for you mate. i’ll wrap it up in £20 notes to keep it from rusting in the manchester “sun” too, ok?

buy a torque wrench? i probably will, eventually. don’t want to get a cheap one though, and i can’t shell out much cash on tools at the moment so i’ll have to work round it for now.

the_lecht_rocks

good one’s available for home / workshop use (3/8″ drive) for about £30.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘tightening the lockring on a cassette’ is closed to new replies.