• This topic has 92 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by AdamW.
Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Tight squeeze at deep cave!
  • CountZero

cruzcampo – Member
    @ bearnecessities

I think thats the part where he doesn’t know how long it goes on for too, or if it even does open up
    That photo is enough to induce a panic attack in me, and I don’t get panic attacks!

ebygomm – Member
    Age 14 we read a piece in English class that detailed a caver dying from lack of oxygen after wedging himself so tightly into what turned out to be a dead end hole that he couldn’t be freed. From what I remember they left his body down there.

Never really fancied caving much after that.

bearnecessities – Member
    ..and that completes my nightmare material.
    Oh, yes!

FFJA
    Free Member

Yours’s truly…..

welshfarmer

I am intrigued FFJA. Please try again..

And the phone line is still in place as far as I know. The Cave rescue did a practice there a year or 2 back (I couldn’t make it) where they bought out a volunteer casualty by diving him through the sump on a stretcher. Not for me, thank you 🙂

FFJA
    Free Member

Cave diving on Flickr
    Popples Cave Dentdale
    Underground on Ingleborough

Not sure what I did last time, hopefull these links will work if nowt else! FFJA

martinhutch

Rule one in caving. Never, ever, read anything about the Mossdale tradgedy. Especially if going into a cave with even the slightest chance of flooding. That one puts the willies up me still.

I think of it every time I ride up into Mossdale on one of my local loops. That place has a dark feel about it even on a sunny day.

I have a fear of dark, enclosed spaces and water. Not sure I’d make a good cave diver, TBH.

_tom_
    Free Member

Anyone seen the film As Above So Below? It surprised me, really enjoyed it and feels quite claustrophobic and creepy in places!

slowoldman

The Ray Kershaw radio documentary referred to in the Independent article is still available.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009fwy6

welshfarmer

Works now FFJA. Full respect. Me and water don’t really get on that well. Did my novice BSAC but that was enough for me 🙂

FFJA
    Free Member

Cheers Welshfarmer, although there’s really not as much to the underwater potholing as people think. And “underwater potholing” is very much what it is in the dales, it’s caving underwater rather than the cracking stuff you see in Florida etc.

Most of the things that are going to do you a nasty michief whilst diving are fairly foreseeable, probably more so than in MTB!

FFJA

natrix
    Free Member

I was a BEC member in the early 80s my dad still is .Has been a member since the 1950s number 373 I think .So a club old boy these days

Ah, the good old days. Edric, you’ll have to ask your dad if he remembers the old wooden Belfry (went up in flames if I recall). There was also an ‘incident’ with the old toilet, it got blocked one day and somebody threw some carbide down the pan, hoping that the gas would force the blockage through. Unfortunately, the next caver to enter the loo had a lit fag in his hand – kerboom!!!! 😯

Ambose – your mention of Steve Thomas encouraged me to dig out his CD – now that’s what you call ‘underground music’ 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

I did this stuff when I was 15, without a second thought – loved it.

However now those pictures horrify me.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Had a desire to try out caving when I was a teenager – to his credit my Dad allowed me to try and so I went out with the Lancashire underground group (LUG – lets go down this ‘ere hole). Even though I weas using borrowed equipment and it was freezing cold I bloody loved it. Floating down an underground river lying on my back looking up at the glistening walls was amazing, switched my lamp off and it was total blackness. Actually found the tight enclosure quite comforting ina weird kind of way (wanting to get back in the womb obviously!). I never went again, I think my mum kaiboshed the idea – think they had hoped I would go once and hate it!

AdamW
    Free Member

MrAdamW is in Derbyshire Cave Rescue (DCRO). From the claustrophobic side to the extreme exposure side that is Titan, near Castleton.

I last did caving in Yorkshire, going through the Cheese Press was too much for me. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Tight squeeze at deep cave!’ is closed to new replies.