• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tight rubber round my rim
  • gribble
    Free Member

Nothing to do with experimenting within the circle of trust, but an actual bike related question.

I have recently bought some Stans Flow rims, which from my limited research can be a bit of a PITA when fitting rubber. In my case a High Roller 2 2.4 and a Crossmark 2.25 were both difficult to get onto the rim, worse than anything I have fitted with my narrower Mavic CrossRides. I read up on technique before hand, but without much luck.

Questions are: (a) do these/stretch loosen up over time and (b) if not, what do people do when out and about and get punctures? Seem a popular rim, but previous rim/rubber combinations could always be sorted by hand and I honestly think I would be stuffed out on a ride if I had a puncture.

Tubeless?

Northwind

gribble – Member

if not, what do people do when out and about and get punctures?

I got better at fitting tyres. Not trying to be rude there- I was in the same boat when I first got Stans and Stans-a-like rims, gave me so much hassle, but the only tyres I’ve ever had any real trouble with since then were defective.

I haven’t done a highroller 2 fwiw but have done some crossmarks

tenfoot

I tried to fit a 2.4 High Roller 2 (EXO sidewalls) to my new Arch rims at the weekend.

In the end, I gave up and stuck on some 2 year old 2.2 mountain kings that I had on another bike. My main worry was that, even if I did manage to get the HR on, would I be able to fix the puncture and re-fit the tyre out on the trail?

The good people on here reckon Specialized Pugatorys fit easily, so I will probably try one of those, after the summer.

alibongo001

ONce you have managed to stretch it onto the rim, it is easier to refit if you have a puncture. IME

gribble
    Free Member

Northwind, fair point and I am sure some improved technique would help. I have been spoilt by tyres that did not need to be wrestled on previously. I might look at investing in a better tyre lever too, as I bent three fitting the tyres.

I don’t mind though, the wheels feel much better after one ride.

Sui
    Free Member

ONce you have managed to stretch it onto the rim, it is easier to refit if you have a puncture. IME

are they bollix – spent half hour one day trying to get a tyre back on – cue two more punctures from catching the tube and we gave up… Said wheel has now gone tubeless

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tight rubber round my rim’ is closed to new replies.