Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • ticking noise, which I can't pin down Help
  • muckytee
    Free Member

There seems to be a metallic ticking on the down stroke when pedalling under medium load.

Bike is a HT Genesis core 40 as a single-speed.

I have greased my rear mech hanger, greased my QR even tried a shimano and a Hope one and I have taken my BB apart cleaned and reassembled with park anti sieze. Still ticks.

If I take the seat post out it is slightly louder.

Stem bolts have been greased and checked. Chain ring Bolts greased with anti sieze and done up tight.

Not my fork as it still ticks when locked out.

Any suggestions what it could be please 😥

cheburashka
    Free Member

Pedal bearings.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

try some different pedals on it to eliminate that possibility.

EDIT: snap

Stoner
    Free Member

last time I had that, it too was tracked down to the pedal bearings having gone through the usual suspects – greased drop outs, greased and retightened chainring bolts, tightened crank bolts, swapped BB….

scaredypants

crocodile ?

(do you have cable brakes ? the cable caps of mine make a squeakyticky noise when they’re dry)

sent from the drought-ridden south of england

retro83
    Free Member

As above, pedals or could still be the BB if the bearings weren’t changed when you stripped them down.

kayak23

Have you taken off your wristwatch?

cynic-al
    Free Member

pedal thread would be my first suspicion, then crank bolts and chainring bolts.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s your zip handle on your jacket tapping against the zip.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Its the chrome winkelnut on your triple variomat scroll thrutcher, just needs a tweek.

antigee

it’s your zip handle on your jacket tapping against the zip.

had that one the other day – drove me mad and then madder when i finally realised

crikey
    Free Member

Fancyish wheels with high spoke tension? washed the bike recently? try a drop of oil at the hub end of each spoke.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’d look at the pedals first.

Sometimes creaky headset bearings and crown races can make noises that sound like they’re coming from the rear end.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Cured this weeks ticking by taking off the pedals, anti seizing the threads, putting back on. 🙂

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

+1 for zip , add to that metal tipped laces on cranks, necklace on camlebak strap, keys in pocket ,glasses on helmet, retard on saddle

yossarian
    Free Member

Pedals

wallace1492
    Free Member

You looked inside frame?

Had one last year and could not trace it for ages. Turned out to be zip from saddlebag “tickling” the frame.

muckytee
    Free Member

retard on saddle

🙄

Speaking of saddle only ticks when out of it i.e. standing up

Not zips or shoes, I have ridden it in all sorts of clothes i.e. normal clothes/cycle clothes

Could it be the frame? How could I check this?

spooky_b329

Chainring shifting on spider.

Your pulling on the bars and its actually the stem thats clicking.

Your knee needs lube.

ruscle
    Free Member

Front mech excess wire catching the cranks?! I’ve had this in the past and drove me nuts for a while!

nealy
    Free Member

Definitely the shoelace flugelbinders hitting the cranks

steve_b77
    Free Member

Loosen your pedals, remove them, clean & regrease the threads on pedals & crank then refit them

If they’re clip less do the same to your cleats

scaredypants

kingkongsfinger – Member
    Its the chrome winkelnut on your triple variomat scroll thrutcher, just needs a tweek.

What’s a tweek ?

unovolo
    Free Member

Front mech excess wire catching the cranks?! I’ve had this in the past and drove me nuts for a while!

Doubt it will be this as the OP states its a singlespeed.
    I’d go with pedal bearings first ,also have you checked the frame over for any cracks which may be opening up as you apply pressure on the down stroke.

belugabob
    Free Member

What’s a tweek ?

Seven days in Yorkshire?

Stoner
    Free Member

Seven days in Yorkshire?

No. That’s hell.

epicyclo

Assuming it’s not one of the usual culprits, there’s another option.

You know that little flat spring thing that keeps your disk brake pads apart? Sometimes something can snag under one of the arms and lift it slightly. It then gets caught by one of the holes in the disk and slightly bent. Cue a tick, tick, noise and not always consistent. More likely to happen if your pads are worn.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also, friend who doesn’t give a toss about his bike, just rides it, had a horrible clicking noise which really annoyed me. Took the bike off him to sort it out, the top jockey wheel was so worn out, the chain was just jumping over on it, swapped some old less worn jockey wheels from an old bent mech and issue solved I think. not sure he’s grateful, but made me happier.

globalti
    Free Member

Front mech cable end is touching your leg or the crank.

Conan257
    Free Member

Yes, best get that front mech checked on your SINGLE SPEED…

It’ll be worth having a look at welds etc if you haven’t already, if you clip in, can you pedal hard just using the non-drive pedal? Just to see…

yetidave
    Free Member

could it be a bit of cable/string/trouser leg catching the crank arm?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cleaned and greased the seatpost and clamps?

drofluf
    Free Member

Have you got a pump on the downtube? My pump had twisted round and my shoe was catching the inflator tube

Richie_B

Try wrapping the threads of BB in PTFE tape rather than anti sieze. Cured a similar problem for me (After I had stripped cleaned and rebuilt every other component several times)

pedalhead
    Free Member

I just went through the same troubleshooting process on my singlespeed this morning after an annoyingly clicky ride last night. Checked rear wheel, chainring, cranks, pedals…and then noticed my chain was a bit more slack than usual. Tightened it up & glorious silence is back again.

crazy-legs

I’ve had this on my CX bike as well and in the past I’ve tracked it down to the lower headset race. Sounds daft but stresses of hauling on the bars while out of the saddle caused the lower race to make a crack,crack sound which was transmitted down the down tube and sounded like it was coming from the BB.

I’d had the BB out, re greased the chainring bolts, tried different pedals, it was driving me mad!

belugabob
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Your thread has at least prompted me to strip my seatpost down to get rid of the annoying click when Im pedalling sitting down, In my lunchbreak too, hows that for dedication?

eyerideit
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    crocodile ?

genius well done 😀

eyerideit
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    kingkongsfinger – Member
    What’s a tweek ?

A fortnight?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘ticking noise, which I can't pin down Help’ is closed to new replies.