Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Ticket barriers at train stations
  • Helios
    Free Member

Either put your ticket in and go through, or get out of the way… It’s not a bloody tourist attraction…

Discuss…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What’s worse is those cretins that use the bike gate as a normal one.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What’s worse is those cretins that use the bike gate as a normal one.

+++++++++++1!!!!! 😡

There’s me at Farnborough station last week, patiently waiting as streams of people just march through the wide exit (all gates open anyway). In the end I just thought ‘sod this they can used the other four or five standard gates’ and shoved me bike through in front of me. Couple of tuts, but when you look like I do, most folk don’t even want to make eye-contact. 😐

I’m glad I wasn’t in a wheelchair. Such selfishness, when all they have to do is use a narrower gate.

Lucky I din’t have an axe or a petrol angle-grinder is all I can say….

brakes
    Free Member

or people who go through and stop at the other side, in the way
    second only to people who stop at the bottom of escalators

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Best thing to do with bottom of escalator stoppers is to just barge straight into them then say ‘oh sorry!’ and pretend to be terribly apologetic. They soon learn not to do it again.

Idiots.

Why so many idiots around?

iDave
    Free Member

I made 4 train journeys last week and wasn’t asked for a ticket at any stage. Outraged I would have been if I cared.

allthepies
    Free Member

Why so many idiots around?

For someone who is keen to chastise people on their view of the “feckless”, you display a high degree of intolerance towards others.

Innit.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

My pet hate is those subterranean wheelie case enthusiasts who frequent the London Underground. They can’t all be cabin crew or lawyers.

aracer
    Free Member

Somebody remind me what’s so great about public transport.

Hohum
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Not much.

However, I know that my commute to work via the train is 50% of the cost of doing it by car and having to pay the car park fee.

Pook

Or those who get to the top of the steps and then take the stupid handle out of their pissy case and then do the same at the bottom of the steps….

grrrr

project
    Free Member

We have mostly open stations on merseyrail, you dont have to buy a ticket, although i always do, and there is never a queue to buy a ticket, or anyone to ever check them, just nobody bothers with enforcement.

Helios
    Free Member

Cambridge station, if not the most used by cyclists in Britain then at least in the top 10… No-one at any other barriers. Group of five standing right in front of the (single, solitary) cycle barrier… When I tried to go past they got *very* stroppy…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

They never seem to change the gates from entry to exit when there’s a massive surge of people who have just got off the train, and vice versa.

Standing waiting for the gates to close before inserting your ticket is a very british pass-time and it’s obviously not how they were designed to work.

toab
    Free Member

A small anouncemetn to the users of Reading station:

why don’t you get your flipping ticket out of your bag/wallet/purse BEFORE you get to barrier, instead of standing there staring into you own purse like a bricks hit you on the head

RichPenny
    Free Member

Have you lot ever tried valium? It’s available on prescription 😀 Just a thought…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Completely agree with ernie, for once. Also, people on the platform getting in the way when you’re trying to get off the train, with bike or without.

I generally just barge. Then allow myself a small smile of satisfaction.

Luckily, none of them have followed me to kick the back wheel of the bike in, yet… 😉

aP
    Free Member

People who deliberately walk at you. Right up until the point that their ankles run into the brompton anyway.
    People who have just got off the DLR at Bank and are very insistent that it goes to CharingX, and get shirty when told to go and catch the D&C.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

And why do people always assume they have the right to get on the train before you when you’ve got a bike? It happens every single time I get on a train.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+137 for cycle/wheelchair gates with morons streaming through.

Why do people insist on farting around with tickets at the barrier, not before?

donsimon
    Free Member

Isn’t public transport only for the general public? Why on earth would I want to get dirty use it?

CountZero

aracer – Member

Generally speaking, not a whole lot, however, from my limited experience getting around That London would be a nightmare without the Tube. Oyster Cards are a great thing at the ticket barrier, too.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Or those who get to the top of the steps and then take the stupid handle out of their pissy case and then do the same at the bottom of the steps….

Yes! And often some tiny little thing that surely can’t hold enough that it needs to be towed on wheels.

project
    Free Member

Easiestway to get on or off a train, with a bike, is to proclaim quite loudly the chain is quite oilly, and the tyres are muddy, please give me room.

Theres usualy a parting Moses would be proud of.

MrOvershoot

project – Member

We have mostly open stations on merseyrail, you dont have to buy a ticket, although i always do, and there is never a queue to buy a ticket, or anyone to ever check them, just nobody bothers with enforcement.

Ahh the Birkenhead central to James Street exiting up the Water Street ramp route 😉

vancoughcough
    Free Member

click a click a click a click a click a click a click….

Don’t mind me, I’m just rolling through on my new Hope Hoops!

I paid the same for my DT EX500 and I am not ashamed I chose not to go with Flows.. I am my own man not a Stan man fan. I do like Sun though, though today it will be mostly raining.

click a click a click a click a click a clack….. shit.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

* You don’t need any special training or licence to use it.
    * You don’t need to pay any separate tax or insurance to use it.
    * If it does occasionally break down you don’t have to fork out loads to fix it.
    * If you’re in a large group, all of you can use it together.
    * If you have certain disabilities or are visually impaired, you can still use it.
    * If you are elderly and/or have disabilities, it’s often free or at least discounted.
    * It won’t get stolen.
    * You can still use it even if you are completely rat-arsed.
    * You can meet others including complete strangers and maybe even form lasting relationships.
    * You don’t need to find somewhere to park.
    * With trains at least you won’t be stuck in traffic jayms.
    * You can chill out and read a book/newspaper/magazine/play with your ‘phone or iPad or whatever.
    * You don’t need to worry about needing to know directions as much.
    * If you are taken ill/injured there will inevitably be someone along soon who can help you.
    * If you’re tired you can have a little kip.

And best of all, right, at the end of your journey, you can sometimes enjoy such wonders as these:

Public transport rocks! 😀

aracer
    Free Member

from my limited experience getting around That London would be a nightmare without the Tube

Ah, well that’s where you’re going wrong then.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where are they going wrong then Chris? Hmm? Care to tell us?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

yeh and de govment only be k1lling der own infrequently false flag on de toob. So it is sorta safe innit.

TheBrick
    Free Member

can someone translate please?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

ee say 7 7 wqas an inside slob a job.

donsimon
    Free Member

Mark Datz iz alive ‘n’ kikin! 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I remember yrs ago travelling through That There London on the way to a festival in Germany. We hit (i think) Victoria Station at the peak of early morning rush hour, and for me it was a horrible shock after my experiences of my own solo cycle commute to work!

There was a heavily pregant lady across the floor, struggling along when the bell rang and the gates opened. This complete and utter cretin just hurried straight out, barged into her and knocked her to her knees without stopping. Must admit, i lost it a little at that point and as he passed i cropped him hard in the shins with my steel-toed clogs! I think i hurt him ‘cos he went down hard and my mates dragged me away – not that i’d be hard to find with fully ironed (noisy) clogs on, a bright red 3ft long mohican and a bloomin’ great kit bag!

Must admit though, the sound of several pairs of iron-shod clogs clomping along through the underground does make the southern grockles get out of the way sharpish 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

You have got a bit of a violent steak in you, haven’t you muddydwarf?
    I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing or that I’m criticising you, just saying, like… Mate… Buddy… Pal… 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Lot calmer these days 🙂

I was a bloody sod when i was younger though. At that particular festival it got a bit ‘heated’ between the brits and the Germans,and a rather large German punk started kicking my female friend. Lost it (again) dived across her, grabbed him by the shirt and headbutted him right in the nose….

… at that point i realised my feet where nowhere near the ground and he was well over 6ft tall! Ooops…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

One other thing that annoys me is fat people who can only fit through the wide gate.

Another thing is sitting next to a fatty where they try to put the armrest up and try to spill over into my seat.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Another thing, why do people insist on trying to barge into the train as you’re all trying to get off? Surely common sense dictates that there’ll be more room once you let those people off first? 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

Could you not harvest the excess fat and make candles during the journey and then sell them at the end of your journey and hey bingo, free public transport and a service to society?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Have we done the one where people pile their suitcases under the bike racks, despite there being a luggage rack right next to it, rendering them unusable yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Ticket barriers at train stations’ is closed to new replies.