Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Tick Count 2010
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Plecostomus:
    As said up there it is a combination of things.
    Up until 3-4 years ago, Lyme was assumed to have been brought in from Lyme County, USA, and hotspots being the New Forest. Gov't agencies were then asking for all ticks ( small deer type ) to be sent to them for analysis to get a better picture of the spread from New Forest.
    Consequently they now realise it has been here all the time, it hasn't been imported in. They also have better ideas of tick populations and infections within the tick population.
    Add into this the announcement during this winter ( or maybe the one before ) that the deer population in the country has increased to the most for over 1,000 years, so the tick host is now at a massive high. It all adds up to an explosion of the disease as people actually start looking for it.

I asked my doctor about Lyme 4 summers back follwoing my daughter screaming the place down cos she's got one on her belly! he said he did recognise it but had only possibly one occurance perviously in the practise. The next summer our practise had 4 cases of lads in my village within a week. My neighbour's working practises (from the Environment Ageny) now require them to check themselves after each farm visit and have a leaflet about Lyme.

Worryingly, half of the active outdoorsey types know about it, the other half are totally unaware.

On a positive note: Went out for a quick blast last weekend, ploughing through bridleways overgrown with bracken above me, real Tick territory. Put on some Autan Active plus, which also protects against ticks. None were found, and I would have expected to have picked up at least one.
    Seems to fulfil it's promise – try it!
    cheers
    Q

eckinspain
    Free Member

What's the STW-recommended tick removal tool?

eemy
    Free Member

Is it obvious if you have removed all of the tick? I have just removed one with tweezers – at most it was on for 3hrs, so still pretty small. Looks like the job went well, but looking for reassurance.

Tick came out, doesn't look like there was anything left behind and the tick that is now in some tupperware in the freezer looks complete.

snowpaul
    Free Member

none this year for me – last year was terrible esp for the dog ( ireckon more ticks are about the last few years -been outdoosey for 20 years )… however i am doing far less mtb miles this year and wearing trousers most of the time and applying liberal repellant… I got real sick last year too and was tested for lyme = negative but I am not so sure…

I carry a tom o twister all the time which are awesome – plus i douse myself in repellant either deet based ( prob give me cancer instead )or neem oil…

dog has had her anti tick stuff dose increased nad seems to be working…

have picked up loads in the q's and exmoor – mid / south wales and also the berwyns… none as yet from lakes / dales / peak but i know people who have.

i know a number of lyme sufferers – it isnt nice.

be careful people

paul

Dawnrazor
    Free Member

2 in the side of my knee last week

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I'll find ticks on me during almost every ride here in SW Scotland. Usually brush them off before the little buggers bite. My riding buddies rarely get them. I must smell nice to them or something.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Tick Count 2010’ is closed to new replies.