Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tick-borne disease in Europe
  • tickalert
    Free Member

Bike enthusiasts are being warned about a tick disease in Europe this summer.

The website Tickalert.org has updated its information with more detailed maps of 27 Tick-borne Encephalitis (TBE) endemic countries in Europe and profiles of risk areas for a range of outdoor sports and activities such as hiking, climbing, camping, cycling, mountain biking and horse riding.

Its TBE Travel Check online tool also helps travellers to find out if they might at risk of the disease because of where they are going and outdoor activities planned.

TBE is transmitted within minutes from the bite of an infected tick and causes an average of 13,000 cases needing hospital treatment in Europe and Russia every year. Up to 30% of patients suffer meningitis and in extreme cases it leads to encephalitis (brain swelling) and inflammation of the spinal cord. Two in every hundred people die from the disease.

Ticks lie in wait and crawl unnoticed to a nice warm spot on your body, usually the groin although the armpit is another favourite feeding place. Underwear offers little protection against these blood-sucking pests.

People spending time in the countryside, especially if they are sleeping or walking a lot in grassy areas and undergrowth, need to regularly check their body for ticks and remove any immediately as the moment the tick bites there is the risk you will contract TBE.

Further information on the TBE endemic regions of Europe and latest advice for travellers is available at the website tickalert.org

allthepies
    Free Member

Tick spam ? 🙂

smiththemainman
    Free Member

cheers for heads up, one more thing to worry about!!

nathaneddy
    Free Member

funny, just was talking to my dad this morning about Lyme’s disease, a tick-borne disease in northeastern US. was wondering if there is something similar in Europe. Question answered.
    Thanks to STW.

MadBillMcMad

we have bought one these – http://www.ticktwister.co.uk/

I am thinking I should have got a few & keep one in the car & in the bike bag.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Guy got a Tick in our group in Les Arcs last year. Was in an area that he preferred to deal with himself…

sunnrider
    Free Member

Picked up a few of them already this year.
    Don´t sit on dead trees :/
    Apparently no danger of TBE in the Basque region or Spain atm.

swiss01
    Free Member

or you could go to sweden where not only might you get tbe ar a range of borellia type infections but you might also come across this (possibly not for the squeamish – no pics)
    http://www.thelocal.se/33578/20110504/

seven
    Free Member

nathaneddy – Member
    funny, just was talking to my dad this morning about Lyme’s disease, a tick-borne disease in northeastern US. was wondering if there is something similar in Europe. Question answered.
    Thanks to STW.

err, Lyme’s diseae is endemic in the UK tick population especially in northern scotland.

If you do pick up a tick in the UK, know the signs. Can be nasty if not treated

sunnrider
    Free Member

“Off! Deep Woods Sportsmen” repellent works but I had to get it on ebay. Typical Deet smell but I just use it on my legs.
    Tried botanicals, lemon oil etc but they do buggr all.

Mike_D
    Free Member

funny, just was talking to my dad this morning about Lyme’s disease, a tick-borne disease in northeastern US. was wondering if there is something similar in Europe.

Yes, it’s called Lyme’s disease…

[edit — damn, too slow]

Check every ride and get ’em out when they’re tiny.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s times like this that I’m glad we’re not in Europe… 😕

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Shaved legs!

makes all the difference.

konagirl
    Free Member

Further information on the TBE endemic regions of Europe and latest advice for travellers is available at the website tickalert.org

or you could get independent advise from the NHS

Mike_D
    Free Member

Tick spam ?

You may have been joking, but tickalert.org appears to say lots about TBE (for which a vaccine exists) and very little about Lyme’s (for which no vaccine exists). tickalert.org is owned by Baxter Healthcare, a pharmaceutical company that makes TBE vaccine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tick-borne disease in Europe’ is closed to new replies.