Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Ti wedding ring. Danger or sales patter?
  • prawny

Agree with the comfort fit, my ti one was comfort fit but the gold one wasn’t makes a huge difference.

Might start looking at silicone ones again now there seems to be a bigger market and better choice of them.

Northwind

geetee1972 – Member

What I don’t understand is the trend for titanium wedding rings in the first place.

It’s because of The Abyss

breadcrumb

I’ve got a Titanium wedding ring, not sure where it is as I never wear it.

The wife did say that I wouldn’t wear it and I didn’t have to bother with one, I should of listened!

lunge

I’ve got palladium. It’s nicely scratched and has a bit of character but on the inside is still pristine. In many ways, it’s a reflection of my marriage… quite cheap too, certainly compared to my wife’s gold and diamond ring.

GrahamS

Ti ring here too.

Wore it all the time and like it a lot. Looked good and was very comfy.

But had to take it off after I developed a “Bible Bump” just where it sat and I’ve never gone back to wearing it.

The only problem with Ti is that it’s cheap.

I have no idea why that is a “problem”. 😕

jimdubleyou

It’s because of The Abyss

That’s why I got mine 🙂

I take mine off every night before bed as I never got on with sleeping in it…

theotherjonv

it’s a good reason not to wear any ring when riding

fairly definitive statement that, how is it ‘for the hard of thinking’ to suggest that some types are OK – which you then agreed with 😉

Anyway…Re getting a Si to fit- there are cheap suppliers on ebay, Amazon, etc., but t’wife and I got our ‘outdoor’ rings from Enso in the US. And when mine went all baggy after inadvertently soaking it in white spirit they happily replaced under their lifetime warranty. Subsequently when it dried out it then shrunk back again so now I have two (but don’t tell them…..)

https://ensorings.com/

Drac

I don’t wear a ring at all so maybe I’m missing something. Why if I take my ring off would there be a need to wear a rubber ring in its place?

prawny

I got a titanium ring because we’d spunked all our money on platinum and diamonds and a dress and a church and a reception and flowers.
    My wedding ring was £40.

Why if I take my ring off would there be a need to wear a rubber ring in its place?

So you don’t accidentally cheat on your S/O whilst cycling obvs

theotherjonv

I don’t wear a ring at all so maybe I’m missing something. Why if I take my ring off would there be a need to wear a rubber ring in its place?

YOU don’t have to. I choose to because as i said previously

i like wearing a ring as a symbol of my etc. etc. (some may scoff, but t’wife and I exchanged rings 17 years ago and I’ve worn ‘it’ every day since).

Scoff away, it’s a free country and it’s what we choose to do – to wear A ring which we chose together. The fact that we now have ‘dress’ rings and ‘work’ rings is practicality, it’s the symbol that is important to us.

Drac

People are asking why not being a dick.

Ah you’ve edited your post now.

I don’t get the symbolic thing at all that’s what the ceremony was for but then again I’d also not bother with that if my wife had agreed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well its a symbol so what it is made of is largely irrelevant
    only tradition means we generally use precious/rare/expensive metals

Copper and iron would both rust/weather/oxidise

theotherjonv

Yes i did edit – sometimes my thought doesn’t need vocalising.

Hopefully I gave you a reason why -> I <- choose to wear a ring always. Whether you think it’s good or not is your call. It’s certainly not to remind me not to cheat – my capability of that doesn’t depend on wearing a ring or not – and suggesting (even jokingly) that it does offends me slightly because it comes across as sneering at the purpose of our choice to wear rings we gave each other.

chilled76
    Free Member

Ti ring with inlaid silver here. Wanted inlaid platinum but was told that it doesn’t have enough of a contrasting colour the silver is a sharper silver than the slightly grey ti colour (platinum is a similair tone to the ti).

I’d forgotten all about the “can’t be cut off” bollocks.

I like it as when I weight train it doesn’t scratch or bend as easily as a softer metal would. It’s also very light, which a similair size platinum one wouldn’t be (9mm wide and about 3mm deep). I’d also have to pay about 2.5k for a platinum ring that size.

I wouldn’t give it a second thought, get the one you like. I had trouble getting my head around how cheap mine was, but in the end came to the conclusion that it didn’t matter, it was the event of my wife giving it me that gives it value. Because of this it is the most valuable material possession I have in my life.

theotherjonv

it was the event of my wife giving it me {and me wearing it always} that gives it value. Because of this it is the most valuable material possession I have in my life.

^ thankyou, exactly what i mean.

Drac

Hopefully I gave you a reason why -> I <- choose to wear a ring always.

Yup each to their own I’m sure there’s a trait I have that you probably see as odd.

Whether you think it’s good or not is your call. It’s certainly not to remind me not to cheat – my capability of that doesn’t depend on wearing a ring or not – and suggesting (even jokingly) that it does offends me slightly because it comes across as sneering at the purpose of our choice to wear rings we gave it other.

Camomile tea?

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure Ti rings can] be resized, just the usual suspects/sellers say it can’t be done because they generally don’t have TIG welding gear in their shops 😆

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=titanium+welding&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNnO2ru7jWAhWJbFAKHR5WBhoQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=638

theotherjonv

Camomile tea?

counselling and medication actually, but you keep poking if it makes you feel funny.

Drac

Now I look like a ****. 😥

Sorry hope you get in a better place soon.

strangey13
    Free Member

I broke my tungsten one dropping it now just use silicone ones. Can get them for about 20 quid and are fine for work and biking. Have snapped two now but still got all my digits. I use Amrap ones.

theotherjonv

apologies too, some things I hold very precious yet are also the things I have come close to losing as a result of the flaws displayed here.

I’m now going to edit / delete my posts while I can, not edifying to leave them out there, and if you want to too I’ll say no more on it.

bugger – too late – if you want to with your privileges i wouldn’t moan

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ti ring here, cost circa £20 online. Does the job perfectly well.

It is too big so it’ll be replaced with a suitably sized one in due course but very much I wanted inexpensive as i had no idea if I’d actually wear it so didn’t want £££ left in a draw if i didn’t.

I’ve got a silicone one for cycling in as once (if) I’m used to wearing it leaving it off will be like forgetting my watch or belt i imagine.

Drac

No, it’s fine trust me I understand why you reacted the way you did after explaining. Hope you get sorted.

kimbers

yep I got my Ti one coz you never know when you might be trapped on the wrong side of a closing pressure door a few KM under the atlantic

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

^^^how big is your ring that the ensuing gap would be helpful?

brassneck

I got a titanium ring because we’d spunked all our money on platinum and diamonds and a dress and a church and a reception and flowers.
    My wedding ring was £40.

Plus one. I’m not marrried to prawny though. I think.

I like the way it’s scuffed and scratched after 13 years, looking slightly shagged. A bit like me.

I don’t like the way it scratches ceramic sinks when I forgte to take it off to wash up (every time).

kimbers

dangeourbrain – Member
    ^^^how big is your ring that the ensuing gap would be helpful?

in the film it buys him enough time to cut a teh hydraulic hose to the door

gnusmas

I have a ti wedding ring, worn every day for nearly 10 years. No problems here. I have an allergy to gold and Mrs G didn’t want me to have a silver one.

The inside is still shiny like it was when it was new, the surface has now got a really nice satin sheen on it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But but but, you’d use the hydraulics to lift the door

GrahamS

I’ve got a silicone one for cycling in as once (if) I’m used to wearing it leaving it off will be like forgetting my watch or belt i imagine.

You wear a watch and belt while cycling?

Daffy

Simple terms:

Strong – ability to withstand load
    Hard – resistance to impact/damage
    Tough – ability to absorb energy
    Density – mass per unit volume
    Reactivity – chemical changablity

Platinum is dense, moderately tough and non reactive, but will mark easily, it’s also heavy and will feel so on your fingers/hand.

Titanium (alloy – usually Ti grade 5 AKA Ti64) is similarly tough and non reactive but is also strong and will work harden when subjected to cutting forces hence why they’re difficult to remove. It’s not particularly hard and will easily mark and marr if, for example your fingers are regularly in contact with other, harder metals such as steel. BUT there’s lots of different grades of Ti so dependent upon what you buy, you can have different properties.

Tungsten (pure/almost pure) is strong hard, tough, dense and non-reactive, and should be proof against most things, but can still be scratched by diamonds.

Tungsten carbide is essentially a metal matrix composite alloy which is to say that it’s almost a ceramic in its qualities. Very very hard (almost to diamond levels) very strong, non-reactive but not particularly tough. You can shatter it with a good concentrated force.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

You wear a watch and belt while cycling?[/quote]

How else would i stop my jeans falling down, and like, don’t you even strava, dude?

But in seriousness, yes though it’s a nylon clip thingy for the belt but does help keep my shorts at a publicly decent height, and a very cheap silicone band sports thing for the watch (useful for gauging how much trouble I’ll be in when if i do a few more miles stay for another beer.)

Cougar

Mine’s, er, metal. It’s a silver colour if that helps narrow it down. Maybe it’s silver? No idea how much it cost, I didn’t buy it.

chrismac

We thought about Ti wedding rings when we got married a couple of years ago. What put us of was none of the above but the fact that according to the jewlers we spoke with Ti rings cant be resized. Given that most peoples fingers change size during their adult life as they age we didnt like the idea of not being able to wear them in the future as they no longer fitted.

pondo

Amazed how few people have mentioned the key benefit – weight, it must save, ooo, a few grams over, say, gold! 🙂

I’d have liked a Ti ring but but that’s what my brothers is and I didn’t want to copy. Happy with palladium – if you’re a MotoGP fan, its atomic number is 46. 🙂

It looks mangled now but apparently you can just get them polished back up quite easily.

Yep, they come up like new. 🙂 I presume they take the skinniest layer off each time though, so it’s only for special occasions.

bombjack
    Free Member

Was going to go for Ti, ended up going for Tungsten Carbide as I really dislike gold / silver and I’m more than happy with the aged / worn in look its getting. That and every time someone asks about it I slip into the Monty Python Tungsten Carbide sketch.

Yak

We didn’t really think too much about this and went for cheapish gold. Budget was tight at that point. I wouldn’t have wanted too much overspend in any particular area and iirc ti was more expensive then. Suffice to say, mine looks battered now. Mrs Yak’s looks alright.

km79
    Free Member

Copper and iron would both rust/weather/oxidise

Not a bad idea, they could be designed with the same lifespan of the average marriage.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m not married yet but we are planning it.

I’ll probably wear a silicon ring almost exclusively unless I’m out somewhere posh and then I’ll wear whatever the Mrs picks to match her wedding ring. I have the ability to injure myself anywhere so the less chance of hospital visits from a wedding ring the better.

jimjam
    Free Member

Daffy
    Tungsten carbide is essentially a metal matrix composite alloy which is to say that it’s almost a ceramic in its qualities. Very very hard (almost to diamond levels) very strong, non-reactive but not particularly tough. You can shatter it with a good concentrated force.

I was tempted to get a tungsten carbide ring (at least I think it was) because I thought the black would be cool. I heard about them shattering when dropped which put me off.

I went for titanium because I didn’t want to worry about losing or ruining something precious. A lot of guys who ask about it end up getting a ti ring or similar and plenty who are already married are pissed off because they just ended up with whatever was in their random high street jewellers and they would have rather had something more durable / less precious (and cheaper) than what they ended up with.

Mine has a sort of dull satin outer finish and high polish inner. It was pretty marred and battered and I’ve got some weddings coming up so I gave it a spin on the polishing wheel on the bench grinder. Came up like new and even gained a very subtle heat ano/damascus pattern. Tempted to go the whole hog and blow torch it but that might get old pretty quickly.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Ti wedding ring. Danger or sales patter?’ is closed to new replies.