Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • TI swimming – anyone starting out?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Having a go at swimming due to injury. Was a competent swimmer as a kid, but have only swum about half a dozen times in the past twenty years. Got a few tips from a mate that had me doing what I thought was a half decent crawl but still getting past by grannies doing breaststroke! So thought I’d try starting from scratch and got the TI book.

Did half an hour of drill 1 in the pool last night. Was a bit strange to be just floating about and not to even swim a length. Got a few strange looks! Think I was getting the hang of it as it was getting a lot easier towards the end. Head position definitely seemed pretty critical, and I’m still not sure about the “pressing the buoy” thing, but leaning on the shoulders seemed to make more sense. Can’t work out what the book means by making a “hull shape” either. Tried a bit of drill 2 but quickly went back to drill 1 as I reckon I need more practice.

Anyone else out there starting out or followed the course? Be good to hear how you are getting on. Also be good to know that all this balance stuff and floating around actually leads to being able to swim well.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Whereabouts do you live Blobby?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m in Newbury, in the royal county of west Berkshire. Why do you ask? Did you see some nob floating about your local pool last night? 🙂

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Yes. I thought he was doing his laundry!

No, it’s just that I found a really good TI instructor that charges 4.50 for a 2 hour session, but unfortunately he’s in the North West

I had about 6 lessons with him, and my stroke improved 100fold. I could not have got my head around the drills by reading them. Just too much to take in without someone else critiquing it and making tweaks.

Good luck, though, it is a really good style to learn, almost silent when you get it, and very relaxing. You feel like you could just go on indefinitely.

yetim
    Free Member

Big vote for swimming lesson, I do a group one at the local pool, 10 sessions for£35, nt near you though sorry

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. If I can’t get on with it then I’ll see if I can find an instructor. Good to know it’s worked well for you though. Did you do much drilling before you got an instructor?

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

No, none. Someone at work told me about TI, and this instructor guy, and I went that night.

This thread may be of some interest

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I start my course in 2 wks.

Doing it for much the same reason – injury.

Ill let you know how it goes, if I dont drown 1st… 😕

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mrlebowski, where are you doing it? Wondering if the course follows the drills in the book. How long is the course? Curious to know how long it takes.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Im doing it in that there London town..

Course is 6wks, Im looking forward to it but Ive no idea what to expect..

zilog6128

it would be worth checking out the tri forums as there’s a lot of talk about TI. The prevailing opinion seems to be that doing the drills with a partner (at least) and preferably taking lessons from a proper instructor is the best way – trying to do the drills yourself is not favourite because you can’t see where the mistakes in your form are.

mogrim

Another vote for classes, I’ve been going twice a week to the local public pool for the past couple of years, and my swimming’s improved massively. Can even manage a length or two of butterfly 🙂

Edit: should say it’s not TI, although some of the drills we do are the same.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll check out the instructors and classes on the TI site. Did have doubts during my drill that I was doing it properly and don’t want to practice bad habits!

There are other forums? Any recommended for TI beginners?

mogrim

TI’s not the only “modern” method of learning to swim better, there’s also Swim Smooth for example.

One of the things that’s really helped me (apart from the classes) is the animated video on the Swim Smooth page, actually seeing what I should be doing helps when you come to try it out in the pool.

andylakes

OrmanCheep
    Interested in your TI instructor, any chance of his/her contact details? Cheers.Andy

zilog6128

There are other forums? Any recommended for TI beginners?

TriTalk is the biggest one I think.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did look at swimsmooth but I had to pick one so went with TI. Shall check out the web page though. I did actually prefer the look of the book, less of the American style guff than the TI one.

Not sure about the Tri forums, i’ll end up wearing silly suits and pointy helmets 🙂

MadBillMcMad

OrmanCheep,

Where/When are those UI coach sessions ?

I might well be interested if I am close enough.

zilog6128

Not sure about the Tri forums, i’ll end up wearing silly suits and pointy helmets

More than likely! I am going to get some proper lessons myself, after that I’ll probably join the local tri club and join in on their swim training sessions. £5 ish per group session vs. £40+ per hour for 1-2-1 lessons!

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

MadBillMcMad, coaching is at New Mills pool, Mon Wed and Friday evenings. Timetable is on their website, “advanced stroke” session.

Orm (& Cheep)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘TI swimming – anyone starting out?’ is closed to new replies.