Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ti frame. alloy seatpost issue
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hi

I have an old TI bike with an alloy seatpost. The issue is the seatpost is both hard to move in the frame when I want to and also slips when I sit on it.

Now the slipping may be down to a poor clamp but I would like to lube the post as I do adjust it and its a struggle to do so

What would be the suggested lube> Ordinary grease / coppaslip / something else?

Ta

tk46hal
    Free Member

Hi,

Make sure the seatpost clamp is facing the right way and is actually closing the split in the frame when fastened. Use a strong clamp, Hope with allen key bolt I find is the best for a really strong hold. Use standard grease and grease the frame and then push in the seatpost and tighten up well.

I hope this works!

tk46hal
    Free Member

I forgot to state the obvious! Make sure you are using the correct stem size for your frame. 27.2mm 30.mm etc etc.

saladdodger
    Free Member

May be wrong but copperslip is not recommended because of a electrolitic action” Corrosion”

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

pace grease stuff, like the stuff below works for me
    http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b8s420p209

nonk
    Free Member

finish line do a thing called Ti prep specifically for this.
    mind you it may well be costly copper slip,i dont kknow.

druidh
    Free Member

Finish Line Ti Prep = Coppaslip.

The manufacturers story is that it is designed specifically to stop Ti bonding to other metals, but someone on here believes it actually accelerates this process.

Macavity
    Free Member

Copper grease/ coppa slip (intended for hot parts / high temperature service) is considered old fashioned even for the original purpose of brake calipers.
    http://www.mintex.co.uk/en/products-mainmenu-29/product-overview-gg-mainmenu-38/cera-tec-mainmenu-36

wwaswas

th epace carbon paste is pretty good for both allowing movement and keeping stuff still when you get it where you want it.

Ragley/Nuke Proof do a 27.3 seatpost if you do feel that there’s a bit of space and it’s a 27.2 post you use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ti frame. alloy seatpost issue’ is closed to new replies.