Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Ti Fatbike
  • rOcKeTdOg

Pride and Fit by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Nichetastic

nickf
    Free Member

Look! Look! It’s even more niche than any other bike ever posted! FACT!

Silly bars? De rigeur

This week’s trend? It’s a fatbike. EVERYONE wants one, doncha know…

Cable discs? ‘Cos, they’re just soooo much more reliable than hydraulics. Especially out in the wilds, being chased by grizzly bears, where I always ride.

Singlespeed? Look, I’m tougher than all of you. I don’t need gears. I barely need a chain.

Made of unobtanium? It’s a bike with wheels that weigh kilos. So saving 500g on the frame at a cost of thousands is completely justified.

singlespeedstu

That was quick RD.
    Looks like you caught one almost straigh away.

Dancake
    Free Member

Dribbled a little bit of tea with Nickf’s answer 🙂

why do they always have cable disc brakes. I have had one or two and they have always turned vile in the end…

“I don’t need gears; I barely need a chain”….chortle!

rOcKeTdOg

That was quick RD.
    Looks like you caught one almost straigh away

🙂

Cable discs? ‘Cos, they’re just soooo much more reliable than hydraulics

well they are actually, puncture a hose miles from anywhere what ya gonna do?

Dancake
    Free Member

well they are actually, puncture a hose miles from anywhere what ya gonna do?

feel pretty damn unlucky I guess.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just curious but fatbike, single speed, full bounce bike, when was the last time anyone punctured or damaged a hydraulic hose? Personally snapped cables or exploding housing have been more common on our rides.

And that’s only been one in a blue moon decades ago.

TheSwede
    Free Member

puncture a hose miles from anywhere what ya gonna do?

Err, ride home using the other brake.

rOcKeTdOg

two brakes on a bike?, you’ve not got this niche thing at all have you! 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Well one of us hasn’t as you appear to have two on that there contraption 😉

epicyclo

Onzadog – Member
    Just curious but fatbike, single speed, full bounce bike, when was the last time anyone punctured or damaged a hydraulic hose

Can’t be arsed with this bleeding nonsense. Can fix them with the tools carried on the bike.

And BB7s work, are light, and not expensive.

May not cut it amongst the trail park hero fashionistas though.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s a pity Swede, but it’s not my bike 🙁

nickf
    Free Member

And BB7s work, are light, and not expensive

That’s my problem. If they did what you said, I’d be fine. But my experience of BB7s on an 456 I had was just terrible. They never had anywhere near as much braking power (even when in perfect condition and brand new) as hydraulic discs, and in mud the pads wore out in about three seconds, negating their cheapness.

And the only time I’ve ever damaged a hydraulic brake was when I stacked the bike rather spectacularly in the Alps, destroying the RH brake lever and associated fitments. The way the bike landed would have made a cable brake unusable as well.

Bleeding? Yes, a bit of a pain. maybe once every 2 years. But winding in the adjusters on the BB7 every 30 minutes in gritty conditions was considerably more annoying.

yoshimi

Its just like every other fatbike, singlespeed, rigid – a **** pointless mess ridden by weirdos! Get a proper bike!

rOcKeTdOg

BB7s just need careful setting up, get it right and they are great brakes, do it wrong and they are as awful as any other brake poorly set up

Made of unobtanium? It’s a bike with wheels that weigh kilos. So saving 500g on the frame at a cost of thousands is completely justified.

dont you know how much faster than you 500g will make me

epicyclo

nickf – Member
    “And BB7s work, are light, and not expensive”
    That’s my problem. If they did what you said, I’d be fine. But my experience of BB7s on an 456 I had was just terrible. They never had anywhere near as much braking power (even when in perfect condition and brand new) as hydraulic discs, and in mud the pads wore out in about three seconds, negating their cheapness…

I think the use a 456 is put to would have somewhat different braking requirements than a fatbike…

Setup of BB7s is the important thing, and I find my BB7s work just as well as my Magura Marta SLs or Avid Ultimate Juicys.

As far as pads wearing out in mud, that’s more a function of the pad material, and it happens to any make of brake.

BTW that bike weighs 27.5lbs so it’s quite light for a fatbike.

miketually
    Free Member

Aren’t the cable disks about low temperatures too?

7hz
    Free Member

Gosh, some angry dudes on here.

It is easy to dismiss stuff as ‘niche’, but if it is said too many times, then it looses all meaning.

Not everyone wants to ride a 5″ FS 3×9 clone. Get over it 🙂

rOcKeTdOg – looks good, not sure about the handlebars though.

rOcKeTdOg

can i just point out …again

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    it’s not my bike

chainslapp
    Free Member

Its a mountain bike set up just how the owner wants it to look and ride using components they like. Why have so many people got a problem with that FFS. 👿

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Nice!

epicyclo

chainslapp – Member
    Its a mountain bike set up just how the owner wants it to look and ride using components they like. Why have so many people got a problem with that FFS.

It’s set up well by someone who knows what he’s doing.

However the trail park hero fashionistas feel invalidated unless they can get the masses cringing under their scorn. Sadly the scorn is wasted on fatbike owners because they are out there riding in all conditions on natural terrain, not hanging around the trail park cafe to hear it. 😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

So rOcKeTdOg, where did you buy that bike?

edoverheels
    Free Member

Can’t see that I would need one but I would love to have a go on one

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve no problem with whatever someone wants to ride, but equally, yet another fatbike (which really is this week’s niche bike) with the same old setup is just an example of following the crowd. Far from using “whatever components they like” the niche-merchants all seem to use the same bits of kit, hence my original post.

“But it’s for riding on snow. And beaches.” We get snow for a couple of weeks a year. And riding on beaches destroys your bike in about ten minutes; if any of the fatbikes being lusted over on this forum get ridden seriously on a beach for any length on time, I’ll eat a substantial proportion of a hat.

Posting up photos of 3×9 bikes? Nope, I don’t do that, and I can think of nothing duller. Then again, I don’t feel the need to buy a new bike every ten minutes to fit a micro-niche that I’ve somehow persuaded myself (a) actually exists (b) I must be part of to be at the cutting edge of cool (c) I need to post pictures of.

So knock yourself/one out over this sort of photo. I’ll be here, cynically, wondering just how many fatbikes actually get, you know, ridden after the first few weeks/months of ownership.

Anyway Rocketdog, how long did it take you to get all the parts together?

how much was it rocketdog, was it custom made or off the peg

moose2008
    Free Member

I’ve never really understood why people get upset at what others are riding or doing. I’ve seen some pretty stupid bikes in my time, but if that’s what the person wants to ride and that’s what they like I’m happy for them. It’s just like cars everyone wants or likes something different or needs different things to suite their needs, hell some people need tractors or wagons etc. what suites one persons likes and needs won’t suite anothers.
    Ultimately you have to ride what suites you and what you like, visually and practically, there’s no point riding what everyone else rides if it dosen’t suite you personally.
    Nice bike too.

pastcaring
    Free Member

if any of the fatbikes being lusted over on this forum get ridden seriously on a beach for any length on time, I’ll eat a substantial proportion of a hat.

paging coastkid to the forum please.

moose2008

+1

chakaping
    Free Member

However the trail park hero fashionistas feel invalidated unless they can get the masses cringing

I fear that the only cringing going on around here is at you saying that.

😉

GW
    Free Member

Does anyone ride a brakeless or fixed fatbike?

A brakeless beach (fatbike) makes sense to me if it wasn’t for those pesky kids/dogs etc and a Carbon frame would make sense even if only to fit in with the windsurfers 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

which really is this week’s niche bike)

and it’s only monday!

nickf
    Free Member

and it’s only monday!

Carbon fixed beltdrive 29/24 fatbike tomorrow, I can just feel it coming…

GW
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed with this bleeding nonsense. Can fix them with the tools carried on the bike.

And BB7s work, are light, and not expensive.

May not cut it amongst the trail park hero fashionistas though.IMO Cable discs make way more sense for trail park hero’s too.

Carbon fixed beltdrive

this would make sense too (belt for snow, not sand)

BTW Who’s got the most ridiculous hat for nick to munch on? (and video 8) )

rOcKeTdOg

if anyone wants one, please send £500 deposit to my paypal address (email in profile) and i’ll start knocking one up from some tubes i’ve got spare in the shed

singlespeedstu

RD your net’s full to bursting.
    You’ll have to throw the smaller ones back.

7hz
    Free Member

nickf

I’ve no problem with whatever someone wants to ride, but equally, yet another fatbike (which really is this week’s niche bike) with the same old setup is just an example of following the crowd. Far from using “whatever components they like” the niche-merchants all seem to use the same bits of kit, hence my original post.

You are getting upset over nothing.

Are 5″ 3×9 26inchers not the “same old setup is just an example of following the crowd”?

What about CX bikes?

‘Urban’?

Why get upset when a strain of bike design is explored by those that feel like doing that?

Why put everyone down, and write it all off to ‘fashion’, rather than people wanting to try new things and maybe find something to fit their needs. Heck, they might even have some fun!

nickf

“But it’s for riding on snow. And beaches.” We get snow for a couple of weeks a year. And riding on beaches destroys your bike in about ten minutes; if any of the fatbikes being lusted over on this forum get ridden seriously on a beach for any length on time, I’ll eat a substantial proportion of a hat.

Coastkid lives a few miles down the road from me, and regularly rides his on the beaches. He is on this forum, and he has a blog where he catalogues his rides. Look him up, if you are interested.

nickfPosting up photos of 3×9 bikes? Nope, I don’t do that, and I can think of nothing duller. Then again, I don’t feel the need to buy a new bike every ten minutes to fit a micro-niche that I’ve somehow persuaded myself (a) actually exists (b) I must be part of to be at the cutting edge of cool (c) I need to post pictures of.

Yeh, posting pictures of bikes and talking about bikes and riding bikes is dullsville. Cynicism is the new niche for sure…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Coffee anyone?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Hey Stu, you are being remarkably restrained today my friend, have you a temperature or are you as sick as the rest of us of all the whining?? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Ti Fatbike’ is closed to new replies.