Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • Thursday Science Quiz: Can you do science better than 93% of Americans?
  • GrahamS

Only 7% of the 1006 Americans surveyed managed to get full marks in this short every-day science quiz:

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

No wonder it is so difficult to have proper public debates on sciencey-stuff like global warming, fracking and genetics!

How do you fair?

*NO SPOILERS PLEASE*

pondo

I got “unknown host” clicking on the link – have I unwittingly failed at the first? 🙁

tomhoward

100%. Cos I R teh orsums.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, I got them all right. Not very difficult to be honest.

5thElefant
    Free Member

100%
    Some if the questions were a bit easy, like “what sex are you?”.

Markie
    Free Member

Nitrogen. Who knew.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Doh, 1 wrong 👿

bloody electrons.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

12/13, bugger

DezB
    Free Member

100% here too (which surprised me!)
    I’ll get my 11 year old to do it later, see how he fares.

martinhutch

How do you fair fare?

Grrrrrrrrrr…..fracking scientists….

Will anyone be prepared to admit falling far short of 13 on this one?

Jamie
    Free Member

10/13. I’ll show myself out.

atlaz
    Free Member

Not tough at all. But I’d question what percentage of British people would get 100%. I’d be interested to see one of these studies rate people from countries around the world on the same thing. I still don’t think that as a whole, the average American is any more stupid than the average Brit.

DezB
    Free Member

How do you fair fare?

I didn’t notice that! But I did think “Have I spelt that right” when I used the same word 🙂

kimbers

lucky 13 for me

I am the new Brian Cox

GrahamS

Perhaps this will add to the Simple things that passed you by for years thread. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have they tested other nationalities too or is it just another “let’s laugh at the silly yanks” thing?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Huv nit used ani siensse sins fivr year at school. Gud innit. 100% fir me.

glenh
    Free Member

Got them all right, but I’d be a bit worried if I didn’t, what with being a scientist and all that.
    More interesting/worrying I thought was that only 30 something percent of college graduates know what makes up the air we breathe.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Have they tested other nationalities too or is it just another “let’s laugh at the silly yanks” thing?

It’s not really a fair sport now is it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok. I am too thick to find the door. Can someone help me?

Seeing as the Pew Research Center is an American organisation, I don’t think it’s unreasonable they are publishing results on Americans.

dannybgoode

It would have been more satisfying to know I was more intelligent than say 93% of South Koreans for example but hey, every little morale boost counts.

Can they do one on world geography also please!

Cheers

Danny B

martinhutch

Americans have proper science quizzes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According to the results so far one percent have scored 0 ! Surely you would need to know all the answers and make a point of giving the wrong answer to achieve a score of 0. You have a 50% chance of guessing the correct answer. How could anyone possibly guess incorrectly 13 times ? 🙂

EDIT : Sorry just remembered that not all questions were true or false. Still some achievement to score 0 though.

righog
    Free Member

Me 13
    wife 12 ( she was pairing socks ) It was the Nitrogen again

Kids get the test tonight

stumpy01

13/13…

GrahamS

How do you fair fare?

Doh!

I’m only Hominidae after all. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

For Jamie

organic355
    Free Member

11/13

marcus7
    Free Member

13! what a shocker…. Id have to hang my head with shame as some of the questions are related to my job….. 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

12/13

Nitrogen question again.

grahamt1980

Thankfully got all 13. Tempted to send that quiz to some of my colleagues at my old job. Would be interesting to see how a bunch of scientists get on.
    I was surprised at how few got the nitrogen answer right.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seeing as the Pew Research Center is an American organisation, I don’t think it’s unreasonable they are publishing results on Americans.

Yes, I know that. Just wondering if other nationalities have been tested. There was no box to tick in the demographic questions at the end.

7/13 here. And I think I got the age question near the end wrong too. 😐

Simon

13/13

martinhutch

You have a 50% chance of guessing the correct answer. How could anyone possibly guess incorrectly 13 times ?

Question 14: What is the probability of someone guessing incorrectly 13 times?

binners

13. Clearly I’ve missed my true calling, and am a science genius…..

GrahamS

Not intended as that at all. American group, linked to the Smithsonian, publishing results on the Americans they tested.

Though they did ask some other questions with some revealing results. Apparently 44% of those surveyed think America ranks at the bottom when compared to other “developed” nations, and 46% think science is “too hard”.

Just wondering if other nationalities have been tested. There was no box to tick in the demographic questions at the end.

The results from the online test are not counted (because it is too easy to cheat) – they only published the results from a proper survey.

D0NK

13/13

wwaswas

Nitrogen. Who knew.

me too. 12/13.

Northwind

Looking at the stats at the end, it’s really the nitrogen question that drags the averages down, not too surprising

cranberry
    Free Member

13/13

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Thursday Science Quiz: Can you do science better than 93% of Americans?’ is closed to new replies.