Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thule Roofbars on Civic with Glass Roof
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I need to carry 2 – 3 bikes on my glass roof Civic.
    I know the Altera bars work on the glass roof, although with a reduced load of 50kg.

I’ve got thule bars, including the fitting kit (eBay super bargain). Im wondering if thule are being over cautious. Has anyone tried the thule bars on a glass roof with a reasonable load?

I could just fit them and see. But its quite an expensive experiment if the roof cracks!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

geoffj

You should probably consider the liability issues. Failure of a non warranted part resulting in a serious injury could end you up in a whole world of pain.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

save the worry……….just get a trailer instead

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve been debating the towbar option. But I’ve already got roof carriers and the bars. Cannot afford the towbar carrier.
    Plus for far less money I could just buy Altera bars

shifter
    Free Member

I may have to review my new car shortlist if glass roofs come with a reduced load rating. Didn’t know that was a thing.

bruneep

I used on my civic for the 3 yrs i had it never broke the glass. carried bikes, ladders and other stuff. I used the thule kit

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used to have a civic with glass roof, fitted a tow bar as insurance company were very vague re windscreen cover and whether it covered roof or not. And at 800 quid for replacement, I didn’t fancy the risk.

teethgrinder

Might get bars that grab under the roof where the doors are – I tried this, but the Civic is very wide and the bars are just too narrow (about 10mm either side) for it to work.

The proper Civic fitting kits go into the roof gutters.

bruneep

Mine were the grab under door type. Infact I might still have them in garage if interested, needed the longer thule bars

hora
    Free Member

Would you really risk it?

Sods law. I got a quote from a local towbar company; £200 inc electrics

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

£200 plus the £300 for the carrier….

IMO avoid anything with a glass roof. The kids get bored of it after a couple of days. Then you just have a potential expensive repair bill sitting over your head. They aren’t covered by windscreen insurance. Only takes a stone chip and you need a new roof. £1000 plus depending on car or take the hit on your no claims bonus. Either way there is no good reason to have one.

bruneep

Last 3 cars= 9yrs + without a damaged glass roof, I personally like the open feel they give.

depends on how “risk adverse” you are.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Looks like the most cost effective solution, without compromising on safety would be the Altera bars at £125. They work with my existing Thule carriers. Plus I can eBay my Thule bars to recoup some cost.

Just cannot justify the cost of a towbar setup.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thule Roofbars on Civic with Glass Roof’ is closed to new replies.