• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thule Roof Carrier
  • hallz
    Free Member

Evening folks! Just got a new car and I had the garage fit some roof bars for me. They didn’t leave me any packaging and although i have the installation instructions it isn’t apparent which model of bars they have fitted.

I have a roof mounted system which i bought from halfords which unfortunately wont fit these new bars – the old bars were square in cross section, the new ones are much wider and consequently the cycle carriers wont fit.

I know this forum is full of experts and i’m hoping one of you might be able to recognize these bars which will help me source a new set of bike carriers.

Thanks in advance!

mattstreet

Thule Aerobars by the looks of it.
    Which means you can get a set of the legendary Thule 591 bike carriers. 🙂

hallz
    Free Member

I had a look at the 961 aero bars but thought mine were a bit chunkier. The 951 seemed to be more like an aircraft wing in profile whereas mine seem to be quite uniform in shape.

The Thule 591… elaborate for me please!

warns74
    Free Member

As already said, they are Thule Aero bars. Buy a 591 bike carrier and use the “T track” fitting system, it’s superb. Pull out the rubber strips on the bars, slot in the 591, do it up, then just cut the rubber strip to length and feed them back into the slot either side of the 591.

99% Sure there are instructional videos on the Thule website.

hallz
    Free Member

Just googled them – stand corrected! They look like a 86* series bar…

mattstreet

As warns has said regarding the 591s. I’ve had mine for nearly 9 years and they’ve performed flawlessly – dead easy use, fit, swap round and spares easily available if you need them.

If go that route 2 tips: wrap a bit of old inner tube around your frame where the clamp grabs, otherwise it will wear it; and if you flip the carrier arm round, put your chain on the big ring as the teeth can eat the clamp.

Great pieces of kit – well recommended and worth the money.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

yep got a 591 as well but fitted to the standard square bars still a brill bit of kit bike feels very safe and attached up there just remember its up there at car park barriers!!

igm

Just used the Thule Wingbars and 591s for the first time today. Worked nicely and still did 55mpg!
    Those look like the Aerobars not the Wingbars but there’s no noticeable difference in how you fit stuff.

Only point to note is that I had to drop the 36 TALAS on my Alpine 160 to 120mm to get the frame low enough for the 591 to grab it. Not a real problem but if you had say an Alpine with Floats you might struggle.

And get the locks matched

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thule Roof Carrier’ is closed to new replies.