Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thule roof bars – first time
  • rascal
    Free Member

After much deliberating many months ago I finally got to use them for the first time today.
    My Meta isn’t a great fit with these so I deflated the shock for a better position and put a buckle strap around the arm for peace of mind as much as anything else.
    Initially (needlessly) a bit nervous when pulled off the drive…no probs on route and arrived at destination, unlocked the arm, popped 2 retainer straps open and that was it – job done and zero faff – what a brilliant thought out bit of kit.
    Bizarrely I have noticed absolutely loads of people leave their carriers on their bars when they are not carrying bikes – about 90% of them are Thule 591s – very interesting statistic there I think you’ll find 😀

shotsaway
    Free Member

I bought my 1st set of Thule Wingbars last month. To keep costs down (bars, foot packs, and bike carriers) I went for 532’s as I needed 4 carriers. I used them for the 1st time last weekend and I drove for 5 and half hours to Coed y Brenin. I have to say I am very impressed with Thule.

Although paranoia has now set in, as all 4 carriers are still on the car, which is a free advert for bike thieves – “Look 4 carriers on the car, they must have some in the garage” .

I don’t fancy having to fit them every-time, I want to pop somewhere but by the same token, I don’t really want to highlight that bikes may be in the garage.

I’m damned if a do and damned if I don’t.

althepal

Bought some ford roof bars with a Thule carrier. It’s great, no having to take 2 child seats out then back in, cleaning mud off the back of the front seats, folding the seats etc.. I wish I’d done it years ago.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Bizarrely I have noticed absolutely loads of people leave their carriers on their bars when they are not carrying bikes – about 90% of them are Thule 591s – very interesting statistic there I think you’ll find

Eh?

Why would you dick around taking them on or off? Mine are always on…

And it’s not really that an interesting statistic, is it? 😕

Or am I missing something…

iainc

Wingbars and 3 591’s live atop my car. They just work, and are used a few times a week, every week 🙂 kids bikes, mountain bikes, road bikes (except the plastic one) great bit of kit

bruk

Just bought a set of Whispbars and a Thule 591 as arrival of second sprog and second car seat means can’t get bike in without wheels off and faff or taking a car seat out.

V impressed by the bars. Low profile on the standard roof rails and not at all noisy. Could do with an easier way to clip the carrier on but then I guess it wouldn’t be as secure when the bike is on it ( from theft).

dibboid
    Free Member

cleaning mud off the back of the front seats, folding the seats etc.

surely if you got kids they kick mud all over the backs of the seat anyway. ….. Unless it’s just mine that are mucky sods

although I do find the removing the front wheel and mucking with the seats a pita (zafira) but I keep a tarpaulin for mud prevention and I can throw it around the country lanes and roundabouts without any worry. But I’m toying with the idea of a tow bar mount.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I aways remove my Thule 591 when not using, too much of an advert that you have nice bikes.

only takes 30 seconds to put back on anyhow!

rascal
    Free Member

Sorry Teet

I was being ironic about ‘interesting’ statistic – it’s not very interesting at all really – more of an observation. I’m with FunkyDunc – advert for would-be bike-thieving scum.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Thule roof bars – first time’ is closed to new replies.