Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thule roof bar bike rack spares
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Thule roof mounted bike racks. Problem I have is I can’t fit the u shaped mountings over my roof bars, the ones with them are kind of u shaped and I need more d shaped ones. They are really snug over the bars too (VW roof rack) so could do with being a couple of mm bigger too, does anybody know where I might track down such a thing?!

matthewjb
    Free Member

Try Roofbox.co.uk

Flaperon

You could try getting in touch with Thule but don’t expect much! Pretty much the worst customer service I’ve ever come accross . All I was trying to do was get hold of another bolt that I’d accidentally rounded out thanks to their ultra-cheap security Allen key.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Roofracks.co.uk have all the spares.

wolly
    Free Member

Can you not use the square headed bolts (t track)?

slowclimb
    Free Member

What are the square headed bolts? I should point out I got these second hand in great condition but they just came with the bracket type fixings.

andyl
    Free Member

Thule normally only have the U fittings for square bars or T bolts for the aero/wing bars. Are you sure your bars don’t have a T track in the top?

slowclimb
    Free Member

They do, just had a look! Think I’ll get some of the t track bolts, my slight OCD likes the neatness of them anyway.

Cougar

Yeah.

Steel bars (square box-section) attachments clamp around the bars. Aluminium (oval or wing-shaped cross section) have a slot in the top instead, usually covered by a rubber strip.

andyl
    Free Member

before you buy any measure the width of the widest part of the slot to check that Thule bolts fit. I had some Thule style bars but the T slot was too narrow for Thule bolts.

I think Skidrive has plenty of spares but find the part number for the bolts you need and shop around as some of the bike shops do thule parts quite cheap. I think I used Petra cycles last time.

Cougar

Also,

The bolts look like regular bolts with flat, square heads. Don’t be tempted to jury-rig it with any old bolt, the proper ones are specced to cope with the high tensile load.

andyl
    Free Member

they did a recall a few years back because of bolts that were failing if I remember correctly. I also wouldn’t modify them to make them fit a different set of bars.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Thule roof bar bike rack spares’ is closed to new replies.