Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thru Axle ?
  • jdlang

Thinking about getting a Lapierre Zesty 314 but it doesnt sport a thru axle ? I’ve been told it wont make much difference on 140mm travel ?

im about 85kg and plan to ride it as hard as possible. If the benifits are ‘slight’ then its not worth the extra cash to upgrade / buy a better spec bike…. i’m probably just over analysing, as you do when choosing a new bike

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Personally wouldn’t spend that much on a new bike that didn’t have one but that’s just me.

jdlang

So you think it makes a lot of difference ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Well obviously people rode bikes hard before through axles were available on 140mm forks, but they are a big benefit IMO.

See if the shop will do you a good price on an upgraded fork/wheels?

takisawa2

If I ever went back to a FS then a bolt-thru would be on my shopping list. Yes, it does make a difference if your hammering it.

br
    Free Member

Once you’ve ridden with a thru-axle, you’ll not want to go back to QR even if its just because of the ‘security’ aspect.

Why not look at a better model (514?) in their range, if its a Lapierre you want – have you ridden one?

jdlang

Yes, ridden one on demo at glentress and really liked it. I’m getting a demo of the 2012 model soon.

as for the 514, looks nice, carbon frame and ROCK SHOX Revelation RL140 with the thru axle for a extra 500 quid. Tempting !!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

for me the main advantage is the security. Yes modern forks with lawyer lips and good quality QRs it may be more theoretical than actual but give me a nice chunky 20mm axle any day

chakaping
    Free Member

I noticed the 514 is full carbon. that is bloody good value!

If it is only 500 more then its a no brainer

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“for me the main advantage is the security”

I agree. But I would say that if you are going for a QR forked bike, immediately fit Shimano QRs.

jdlang

I’m not too sure about the benifits of a full carbon frame unless counting the grams…

chrisdw
    Free Member

Im currently in the process of changing my forks because the steerer is too short for my new frame, but I would never have replaced them with another QR fork because even when shifting down from a 9mm bolt, they felt terribly flexy.

New forks have a 15mm! Definitely go for a bolt thru!

robsoctane
    Free Member

They may be more secure but I honestly can’t tell any difference between my Fox 140 RL QR and my Rockshox Lyric wound to 140 (20mm).

I’ve hammered both and feel nothing different apart from the Fox being a little smoother.

No one can call it a fashion though – a 20mm bolted wheel simply cannot fall off, so there’s good enough reason to buy.

james
    Free Member

” I honestly can’t tell any difference between my Fox 140 RL QR and my Rockshox Lyric wound to 140 (20mm”
    Really?
    Where/what do you ride?

I think I can notice a difference between an ’08 QR Revelation w.DT RWS skewer and a ’10 20mm Revelation. Before I had the revelation I can’t remember thinking I needed one though

“20mm bolted wheel simply cannot fall off”
    Unless the lever/axle come loose. I managed it after clipping the pround maxle lever after falling sideways. Not done it since

chrisdw
    Free Member

I disagree. My fox 32 with a proper QR instead of a 9mm bolt feels like a pair of noodles!

Northwind

I take it the Lapierre has a 32 of some sort fitted? At 140mm it’s not the end of the world- they’re flexier than most long forks and I found it disconcerting, but once I got on with things I can’t say it was actually troublesome. Pretty sure I’d get used to it over time. Prefer not to have to, tbh, but not the end of the world.

Some people hate the feel of flex but personally I find the stiffness of my Lyriks more of a confidence inspiring difference than an important performance difference. Doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant but does mean for me, it’s not essential.

robsoctane
    Free Member

james – Member
    ” I honestly can’t tell any difference between my Fox 140 RL QR and my Rockshox Lyric wound to 140 (20mm”
    Really?
    Where/what do you ride?

I ride local woods that are a lot harder than any trail centre I’ve been to. Lots of roots/rocks and very steep in lots of places. I’m not the type to mince about, no riding god either but I can hammer a bit.

Look, I’m not saying that bolt thru is bad, just can’t tell the difference.

When I first got the Lyrics I actually tested them riding in ruts and trying to put them out of shape coming up/out – felt great. I then tried the Fox dong the same thing at the same speed, I was surprised to feel no difference. 😯

Maybe it’s just the Fox have a stiff chassis?

I couldn’t say the same for all QR forks as I haven’t ridden anything else.

Northwind

I wouldn’t fuss about it- your RLs aren’t a stiff chassis by any means IME but if you don’t notice any difference there might as well be no difference.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thru Axle ?’ is closed to new replies.