Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Through/thru axle replacements. What are my options?
  • medlow
    Free Member

My standard though axles are proper shonky.
    The small hex grub screw that secures the lever to the axle has worn a grove in the axle I think.

Resulting in the lever starting to spin against the pressure of the axle when it gets tightened, making it loose and yesterday the lever popped open twice on a long ride.

So I need replacements.

What are my options.?
    Do any axle work? I see DT Swiss and RS make them but do they fit any frame?
    I notice they are flippin expensive too!
    I obviously understand that I need the correct diameter and length, but are there any other details I need to know.?

Thanks in advance.!

medlow
    Free Member

Well that was a learning curve:

Length, thread pitch and diameter are obvious key factors.
    But made all the more complex due to the numerous ‘standards’ out there.
    And the way some manufacturers market the axle length rather than the hub spacing (or vice versa), to further confuse simple people like me.

I have found what I need.
    The rear is a ‘Shimano E-thru’ (even though there is no Shimano anywhere on the bike)
    The front is a ‘SRAM Maxle’

This is was very useful:
    Axle ache

And this:
    Axle pain

monostereo
    Free Member

well done. im in similar predicament trying to work out WTF to replace my front through axel with that dosn’t have a lever.

is it true that you’re meant to put a bit of grease on the through axel itself every now and then? sure i read that somewhere but havn’t bothered up until now

orangeboy
    Free Member

They are a pain.
    Yes do grease them as they can corrode to the hub bearings making removal a right faff

medlow
    Free Member

Yeah I have replaced both axles for ones that do not have a lever.
    6mm hex key.
    They are yet to arrive though so no idea if they will fit, fingers crossed my research paid off.

It cant help to put some grease on the axle, I have been doing this.
    Maybe also to put some locking compound on the threads? Dunno.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Through/thru axle replacements. What are my options?’ is closed to new replies.