Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Three Downs Link, anyone done it?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got some time off coming, fancy a long Hack and this pops up each time a search.

I’ve already started planning the Wessex Trail which looks like great fun, so this TDL looks more like a loop and back type ride going through some of your stomping grounds..

Not too bothered about trail conditions, more interested in what you think about the route etc.. I’ll plan in a stop over, taking nothing more than me, the bike, credit card and the Garmin.

TVM

njee20
    Free Member

Never heard of it, what is it?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

South, North and Berkshire? Sounds a good craic.

cinnamon_girl

Passes through the stonkingly gorgeous Watership Down. 😀 Not sure where else though so perhaps bb can enlighten us?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh ha, CG has it..

Starts near me in Exton then hacks up to Berks (via Basingstoke, well the far western edge of it) then loops around and back to Exton.

All part of an ancient route for tree felling for shipbuilding on the coast, hooks up old Bridleways and Drovers Roads, says most of its off road.. All 100km of it 😀

I know some of you ride up that way, chalk downs and stuff so just wondering about landscape and visual stimulation 8)

Cheers so far..

cinnamon_girl

Landscape and visual stimulation? Bucket loads although it’s a shame that the beginning of the Ridgeway is missed out. If it were me I’d start the loop in Wiltshire thus finishing in Exton.

Weather will be the biggest factor and a gentle breeze would be preferable.

cinnamon_girl

Just to add, imo obviously, it would be best to ride the ridge on the Hampshire/Berkshire borders in an Easterly direction. Walbury Hill is the highest hill fort in England, nearby Combe Gibbet was actually used as a gibbet and people could see it from miles around and not forgetting the Long Barrow either.

As it’s a Byway it’s rutted and used to be impassable in Winter. I remember once a walker helped me lift my bike from the mud, I came to a complete stop. 🙂

If it were me I would possibly tinker with the route a bit in Wiltshire.

Please keep us updated!

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have nothing to add but i fancy a go.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bikebouy – I have mates who did a loop of bits of North Downs Way (Guildford/Leith Hill) / South Downs way connected by the Downs Link (mostly old railway line) on Westerly side and then roads/bridleways on the East. They felt it was OK but preferred just riding the SDW or NDW loops.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Three Downs Link, anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.