Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thoughts on my first Scottish/Lakes mtb experience
  • lammy
    Free Member

Well I’ve just got back from my first mtbing trip to Scotland/lakes. What can I say….? What a blast, the best biking I have ever experienced. I feel like I should share it!

Arrived last Friday at Fort Wiliam for the beginning of an action packed weekend.
    My highlights of the WC included:
    Goodish weather, blisteringly quick DH racing and of course the short but sweet Danny Mac display. Pics to follow.

Then from monday, travelled South to hit some trail centres. In order of preference:
    Glentress
    Whinlatter Pass (Lakes)
    Dalbeattie
    Kiroughtree
    Highlights include: the “qualifier” and “Slab” at Dalbeattie, North loop descent at Whinlatter, really pedally singletrack at Kiroughtree and how could I forget the amazing facilities at Scotgate campsite (Braithwaite). I’m talking huge walk-in showers, heated flooring and auto flush loos!!!!
    Could of done with soooo much more time to ride more trails and to re-ride the ones already ridden.

I know these are locals for alot of people on this forum, but seriously if you’ve not been to Scotland or the Lakes to ride, DO IT NOW!!!!

I Could go on and on…..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Whinlatter is barely scratching the surface of what The Lakes has to offer :o)

lammy
    Free Member

Yeah we could tell. It was our first visit and we were blown away by the place tbh.

We decided to stick to a trail centre as only there for a day and had no maps etc.

A re-visit coming on I think!!

crazy-legs

We decided to stick to a trail centre as only there for a day and had no maps etc.

All the bike shops in the Lakes stock route maps (about £2.50 each) if you fancy something a bit more adventurous.

allyharp

With Fort William you were so close to such great natural riding – or even the trail centre at Laggan – but yet you headed south 😕

Even more reason to come back! 😀

coylumbridge
    Free Member

or Aviemore, Sluggan, Loch Einich, Loch Morlich for open country and scenery – here’s just one idea http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=170115

Mugboo

Can’t believe you went to trail centre’s, blah, blah blah..

As someone who has ridden most of the place’s you mention and plenty of natural stuff as well, i’m glad you enjoyed it. (ignore the trail centre snobs).

We rode a 20 mile lakeland route and Whinlatter’s south loop in the same day and both are completely different. The natural was more challenging but the groomed descents, with berms and jumps and built in flow are a real pleasure.

Some days i want to explore the great outdoors but sometimes i just wanna follow the arrows and not have to think too much. And my missus would choose a trail centre everytime..

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Can’t believe you missed Innerleithen out!

GET BACK UP THERE !

lammy
    Free Member

Oh dear, thought this was coming…….
    Yes we only rode trail centres, but for a first trip, with limited time to spend, they were the perfect solution. Guaranteed good riding, not getting lost etc etc.

I thought this thread might attract attention to the anti trail centre squad 😆

I admit I am a big TC fan – afterall riding trail centres re-ignited my mtb spark after about 8 years of not riding. However, I still love natural riding and do plenty round home eg. Dartmoor, Woodbury common etc.

househusband

Whinlatter is barely scratching the surface of what The Lakes has to offer :o)

Three of the 7stanes isn’t even barely scratching the surface of what Scotland has to offer :o)

boxelder

I’m surprised you had K’Tree so low down on the list!

lammy
    Free Member

I only did the red at K’Tree as the girlf. didn’t fancy doing the black. Although its at the bottom of a short list, its still probably one of the best trail centres I’ve done and I’d go back there today if I could 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Some days i want to explore the great outdoors but sometimes i just wanna follow the arrows and not have to think too much. And my missus would choose a trail centre everytime..

Ditto.

Definitely worth going back to do the black at Kirroughtree btw, it’s fantastic. Your gf would probably have been fine with it, I don’t remember much that was harder than the red (apart from McMoab which you can miss out).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on my first Scottish/Lakes mtb experience’ is closed to new replies.