Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • thoughts on meta 55 or meta 6?
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

thinking of getting a meta 5 or a meta 6 if i can find one at the right price, ive heard some horror stories about the 5’s frame, is it as bad as ive read or just some isolated incidents that have snowballed?

i ride mostly trail centres and peaks any one have any real world experience of the bikes and what do you think ?

JohnnyPanic

Great bikes, not the lightest (or heaviest) but great handling & manouverability. Avoid 2008 & definitely avoid 2009 frames but 2010 model year & later are sound. Plenty of threads on here about them if you care to search.

Bregante
    harrybel
    Free Member

Think the frame problems were mostly 2009 – cracks due to bad manufacturing. Solved since then. Awesome bike, lauded as one of the trail bikes of the decade! Expecting mine to be delivered tomorrow. 🙂

HH

paulo6624
    Free Member

I’d bin offered a mega deal I’n a 2009 but might skip that now lol

Harry have you bought new or used ? And is there a deal about better than the Evans £1549?

iain1775
    Free Member

Check real cycles. Steve is no longer dealing Commencal so selling off all his old stock dirt cheap
    Some details his shop website or on http://www.commencalownersclub.com

Crag
    Free Member

How come Real are no longer dealing the Commies? Has Steve finally fallen out of Max’s arse?

Great bikes btw, but as others have said, avoid pre-2010 as all a bit ‘fragile’

paulo6624
    Free Member

thanks iian i did look a couple of days back but ill have another check now just incase

iain1775
    Free Member

Crag
    Issues with decade I think that took too long to get resolved
    Not sure if he dwfinately given up or if he may still stock but think it’s unlikely at best at moment
    Paulo give him a bell or email I think he has more stock he hasn’t advertised yet

paulo6624
    Free Member

ah nice one ill do that, theres a meta 6 frame at 299 on there but its a small, shame.

stevede
    Free Member

The meta 6 frame is frame only (no shock). The meta 55 alu/carbon rear end with fox forks, seatpost, headset, stem, bars and seatpost is a bargain at £1200 though imo (presuming it’s 2010/11 vintage and not 09).

paulo6624
    Free Member

yeah it does sound good ive just emailed to see what else they have looks a good site

iain1775
    Free Member

Stevede it is, there was no carbon rear end in 09 so it will be a 2011 model
    I nearly had that off him a while ago but I had seen the 2012 meta and figured I’d wait for one of the new design
    Now I’ve seen the frame only prices, and the weight of it I should have just got the cheap option but the money’s not still there now anyway

paulo6624
    Free Member

just out of interest if anyone is selling a large meta give us a shout

harrybel
    Free Member

@Paulo – I bought an ex-demo 55 Pro from Skyline Cycles at Afan. Only been used a few times on their test track and in a video they made (check it on Vimeo).

HH

paulo6624
    Free Member

Harry I was looking at that very bike and video it was a medium though I’d ideally Like a large – great deal if the condition was good though

paulo6624
    Free Member

Harry I was looking at that very bike and video it was a medium though I’d ideally Like a large – great deal if the condition was good though

sutty
    Free Member

YGM bud 🙂 ! still can’t believe that no ones mentioned how good the early meta 5.5 frames were from 2006 / 2007 ! far better geometry than the later frames & joint winner for trail bike of the year with the orange 5 in 2007 😀
    Still see plenty of them out on the trails which proves they were built to last & still a popular choice for fun fuelled trail days out which will have you grinning from ear to ear 😀

JohnnyPanic

The 2007 models got great reviews, Slightly heavier but the back end was apparently stiffer and the head angle fractionally slacker. Not many failures on them either.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘thoughts on meta 55 or meta 6?’ is closed to new replies.