Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thoughts on Bud & Nate Fatty Tyres
  • slowboydickie

I’m running JJs which are virtually useless in mud. Has anyone run a Bud or Nate up front? Any good in mud?

Cheers
    Rich

scaredypants

I’ve used a Nate – a bit

Not great in really oozy mud (we have lots of hoofprints in some areas and that sort of mud scares the shit out of you – more so than, say, on a 2.3) but very grippy on saturated ground, even wet roots pretty good

scotroutes

If you can fit a Bud, there’s no reason to fit a Nate.
    If you can’t fit a Bud, fit a Nate.

scaredypants

If you can fit a Bud, there’s no reason to fit a Nate.

presumably a bud might skate “even” more over slushy mud ?

boltonjon

Nates are brilliant and very hard wearing – probably covered 2,500 miles with one fitted to the front

Too draggy for the back though

anotherstan
    Free Member

nate – front and rear, excellent.
    bud – never tried ’em.

slowboydickie

Has anyone got a bud on an 80mm rim with a Bluto?

tazzymtb

Lou on the front makes the bud look like a endomorph….lou is basically a 4.8 nate win all round

wwaswas

I’d avoid a Bud with a Bluto there’s not much clearance for mud.

clunker

I can second the JJ’s being crap in the mud, I ran mine on the rear with a Nate up front

Sanny
    Free Member

When it comes to deep and slippy mud, hitting it at speed on a fat bike can be somewhat side slippy. A narrower tyre tends to cut through better. However, at slow speed, big tyres for the win for me.

I run both Nates and Bud / Lou. Both are excellent tyres with the Bud’s offering the most traction by virtue of their girth.

I have a Bud on a clown shoe rim fitted with a Bluto. The mud up here is wet mud so no clay problems for us. It clears well even in the deep gloop I was riding in yesterday.

MadBillMcMad

I have always run a bud on the front.

Nate on the rear in the winter.

Works for me.

STATO
    Free Member

I run a bud on 80mm with bluto. It’s ok as the bud doesn’t seem to pick up and hold mud as much as some tyres, also running at around 6-8psi (you don’t need more!) is better as it stretches and gives less clearance with higher pressures. However my only 2 crashes last year were a bud on thick clarty mud, the float of a 5″ tyre is the total opposite of what you want for that type of mud. It is an amazing tyre in soft or rough ground tho, with a nate on the back both aired down for grip. One thing I’ve found with surly tires is they change characteristics noticeably with pressure, really getting massive grip while low but then becoming fast rolling and with a nice consistent drift at firmer pressures, while floaters for example just seem the same whatever the pressure (IMO).

russyh
    Free Member

I’m running 120tpi nates front and rear, I’m not completely sold and will be fitting a faster rolling tyre on the rear end shortly! I find two of them just too draggy!

Northwind

Totally unhelpful but, the fat minions are due to go on sale in europe this month… I still can’t decide whether my fbf is better than my bud but so far I definitely enjoy it more, it’s heavier but for whatever reason feels/rides lighter and though it’s not always as grippy it seems like it’s more consistent and it gives some feedback, Bud not so much which makes it hard to push. OTOH the minion is a bit bouncy.

They’re both seriously good though.

letmetalktomark

I started off with Nates front and rear, both 120tpi.

I then went to a Bud up front as bigger is better right? The Bud is, imho, a better rolling, bigger Nate.

That said they are both grippy to the extreme and can be hard work even on the downhills!

I wish I could comfortably fit a Bud, or Lou, in the back of my Puffin.

Got a set of Husker Du’s to try tomorrow which don’t look a patch on the Surly tyres but seem to get a good right .

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Bud has more grip and less rolling resistance than a Nate, win-win!

scotroutes

HuDus are truly wonderful but lack the traction and steering bite of a Nate. I run them in summer and use a Nate(F) HuDu(R) until it gets so sloppy the Nate needs to go on the rear too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Bud & Nate Fatty Tyres’ is closed to new replies.