Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Those of you with English as a second language.
  • zippykona

Are our swear words better than yours?
    The F word is such a satisfying word to use. It requires minimal effort to say and even if it wasn’t a word it would be the default noise for hitting your head .
    Will it end up as THE global swear word?
    So , how does your ultimate swear word stack up? Chinese already sounds quite harsh so I’m sure their’s is a goodie but what about the sing song languages?
    I’m sure the swear filter will go into melt down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

French wins.

[video]https://youtu.be/GSeaDQ6sPs0[/video]

roper
    Free Member

I think the “f” words gets over used and has lost some power.
    Say,” CABRON!!!!!!! ” to a Spanish speaker and see them tremble with rage.
    Hijo de la puta, is good in Spanish or English.

cokie

German- despite sounding aggressive, I think English swearwords are better.

dave360

Mrs 360 bought a t shirt (in China) with some Chinese characters and MLGB in English written large across the chest. She found out (much) later that MLGB stands for Ma Le Ge Ba in Chinese which means F your mother.

Mackem

Joder.

maccruiskeen

Fruit de merde!

tomhoward

To quote the second matrix film.

I love swearing in French, it’s like wiping your arse with silk.

theauthorities
    Free Member

swearing in a foreign language is usually a mistake as a
    slight fault in grammar or
    pronunciation
    leaves you looking like
    an idiot
    better to stick to your native
    tongue

seosamh77
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    Joder.

post game of thrones, hodor canny really be classed as a sweary word! 😆

theauthorities
    Free Member

not remotely safe
    for work

Pigface
    Free Member

Swedish swear words aren’t sexual fan means devil hardly the most offensive. I never heard anyone called a Fita for example.

I love Putain, especially when said by French people who really spit it out 😆

Welsh doesn’t have swear words

perchypanther
    Free Member

Glaswegians don’t use swear words either….it’s more like punctuation.

maccruiskeen

Swedish swear words aren’t sexual

The funny thing about swearwords is the definition is irrelevent. **** is considered to be extremely offensive but its that word (and that word in this point in history) thats taboo. Foof or Mimsy means the same thing but its hard to sound angry about someone or something if you call someone a Barneymugging Mimsy.

It seems to be useful to have words you shouldn’t say so that you have something to reach for when words couldn’t express how you feel about something. If you couldn’t say something unsay-able in a situation then the only other option is to punch someone maybe.

hammyuk
    Free Member

roper – Member
    I think the “f” words gets over used and has lost some power.
    Say,” CABRON!!!!!!! ” to a Spanish speaker and see them tremble with rage.
    Hijo de la puta, is good in Spanish or English.

It’s not quite the insult many think now.

“Tu puta tu madre” however……

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mimsy means the same thing

Does it???

Lewis Carroll, you filty beggar!

*heads immediately for the borogoves*

maccruiskeen

Glaswegians don’t use swear words either….it’s more like punctuation.

Context is everything so in glasgow theres a sort of sustained “****in’……” as a pause where anyone else would fill a gap with ‘errrrr’ and it makes the word mean nothing. Unlikely to get you a job as a Blue Peter Presenter though. I don’t think Blue Peter is ready to be that blue yet.

It interesting looking at the way language is censored on TV – theres a hierarchy of swears (and when you look at definitions of ‘berk’ ‘bugger” and ‘sod’ its hard to reason why they are low scorers- but theres also the question of intent.

We had a problem with a documentary where someone was wearing a **** cancer tshirt for their last day of chemo. The tshirt itself was censored anyway – it didn’t actually say **** – but the channel insisted it was blurred out and we had to argue that blurring it made it look like the shirt wasn’t uncensored and blurring it inferred this person would happily walk around with **** on their chest and that was a distortion of their character – the blurring also took your focus off the more important and profound things that were happening in the scene. But their issue was the ‘ **** ‘ was angry even though it was expressing an angry sentiment towards cancer. An angry **** scores more highly than a **** said in surprise or fear. So in a depiction of act of aggression the word is a more censorable word than if its said in a depiction of someone banging their head or getting their dinger caught in their zip.

Then you get all sorts of weirdnesses like (errm – lets just say) ‘monkeyfumbler’. In the world of uk tv ‘monkeyfumbler’ is far less rude if you say it ironically in an american accent. So if its in ironic air quotes its sort of OK but if you say it like you mean it then its not.

pedropete

Coño (pronounced conyo) is Spanish for our ‘c’ word & yet doesn’t seem to be so offensive in Spain. I hear it used widely, in the same way that we might use bloody.
    Might be the company I keep…

Mackem

Cono is used like “mate”, you get little old grannies referring to each other as “Cono”.

mucker

I like the Dutch “Klootzak” (pronounced as cloatzack) meaning surprise, surprise, ballbag, also their term for an unsophisticated person, “Boerenlul” (pron. boor-a-lull) meaning a farmers dick.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

you get little old grannies referring to each other as “Cono”.

PedroPete likes the company of little old grannies?

zippykona

PedroPete likes the company of little old grannies?

I’ve met them and they are the kind of people you feel you should bow to. Tres regal.
    Not being a spanish speaker at least I now know what they thought of me!

jimdubleyou

Coño (pronounced conyo) is Spanish for our ‘c’ word & yet doesn’t seem to be so offensive in Spain. I hear it used widely, in the same way that we might use bloody.

There’s a Coños bridge somewhere in Spain (I have a mate who lives out there).

Bridge of C**** has quite a ring to it.

Always chuckle at the Dutch swearing – mostly based around names for diseases. There’s a whole wikipedia page

theotherjonv

Coño (pronounced conyo) is Spanish for our ‘c’ word & yet doesn’t seem to be so offensive in Spain

I’m sure i recall somewhere that Kona (maybe Cona) is the same in portuguese

jamj1974

Those of you with English as a second language.

Am I the only one to think ‘Dirt journalists’?

pedropete

I increasingly find I spend my time with a bunch of coños

BillMC

I blurted out ‘Jeez’ at an event in Seville a couple of weeks ago. Two old ladies next to me gave me the double deathray stare, I’m sure they would’ve been happier with a ‘joder’ or ‘de puta madre’.

zippykona

Do the French find Mr Putin’s name amusing?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Coño is probably close to fanny, turning it up a notch in the offence staked and we’d need to go to chocho, I believe.

I blurted out ‘Jeez’ at an event in Seville a couple of weeks ago. Two old ladies next to me gave me the double deathray stare, I’m sure they would’ve been happier with a ‘joder’ or ‘de puta madre’.

As you found out, religious swearing is more offensive than sexual swearing in Spain. They’ll be more comfortable translating joder into the F-word and use it without thinking.
    Hostia! I believe is pretty strong over there and more equivalent, in level of offence though not translation, as the F-word here.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Those of you with English as a second language.’ is closed to new replies.