Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Those Mucky Nutz rear mudguards ….
  • failedengineer

…. are useless. Completely useless. Just thought I’d share that. Got home on Saturday, scraped the mud off everything and then ordered a new 29er Crud set. I’m not even convinced that the front Mucky Nutz does much, either. Problem is, they look so much better than a Crud Guard mounted on the downtube ….

zippykona

29 rear crud is excellent.

Northwind

Front muckynuts makes a big difference- I broke mine last week, rode without it for the first time in ages, spend the whole ride picking mud out of my teeth. Haven’t used a rear though, don’t think I will now 🙂

mirage

I rode with mine for the first time this week and i couldn’t get it to stay straight. Was this the same problem for you failedengineer?

fasthaggis

I’m not even convinced that the front Mucky Nutz does much.

I always think they keep a lot of the spray down when you are going faster than a crud catcher can cope with .

BadlyWiredDog

Which rear one do you mean? The saddle-mounted thing is useless ime. Is this the longer, seatpost one you’re talking about?

I find the extended front one generally effective and as good as anything else I’ve tried plus lighter and less hideous than most.

failedengineer

It’s the seatpost one. It moves around, but even when it stayed straight, it just isn’t wide enough I’m afraid. Nice idea, but fatally flawed, I’m afraid. Poor.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I find the SKS shockblade the most effective up front…

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1174588/products/sks-shock-blade-700c-and-29er-front-mudguard-black—grey.aspx

Still not found a decent solution for the rear of a full suss if you’ve got a dropper post. I’m waiting for the Zefal NoMud to come out in a 29er version.

variflex
    Free Member

Mucky Nutz front guards are very good but due to their small size will never be 100%, but I dont think they aim to be.

Dont use a rear mud guard, thought they were only for girls 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

failedengineer – Member
    … I’m not even convinced that the front Mucky Nutz does much, either. Problem is, they look so much better than a Crud Guard mounted on the downtube ….

user error.

you need both (crud catcher + mucky nut).

the crud catcher catches the filth thrown up at your face.

the mucky nut catches the filth thrown fowards-and-up that you then ride into.

failedengineer

They’re for girls and old men.

MadBillMcMad

They’re for girls and old men

who like a dry arse – count me in.

Friend just got one of these – https://www.themudhugger.co.uk

grum
    Free Member

Front one is ace IMO – stops 95% of the mud hitting your face and doesn’t make your bike look stupid. 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

I ordered a mud hugger on friday, really hoping it shows up soon as dont fancy facing the wyre atm without it! Rode with clear lenses on for first time ever the other day having used a mucky nutz front for a while. Found the glasses to be quite a revelation especially as the mucky nutz never left enough clearance round the tyre so would buzz the ride away. Still get a little bit of spray around the muckynutz but glasses mean not a drop passed. As a natural trail user 80% of the time facing puddle after puddle with no drainage means having to wash biking gear every single time so hoping the mud guard cuts this down even a little bit!

z1ppy

+ 1, but as above the likes of the sks shock board are simply better.

tenfoot

ahwiles – Member

failedengineer – Member
    … I’m not even convinced that the front Mucky Nutz does much, either. Problem is, they look so much better than a Crud Guard mounted on the downtube ….

user error.

the crud catcher catches the filth thrown up at your face.

the mucky nut catches the filth thrown fowards-and-up that you then ride into.

^^^this. Definitely need both. I find them the perfect combination.

Has anyone used a Mudhugger (mentioned above)? They look fairly discreet.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a pair of front and rear Mudhuggers to try.

Did have a Zefal No Mud on the back but it didn’t fit that well. Tried one of the Muckynutz ones that clip on the Seat rails and it didn’t provide enough protection to make it worthwhile.

I’ll report back once they arrive.

z1ppy

mudhugger…no 29er option… BOOOOO! 😉

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Mudhugger to expensive IMHO – over twice the price of the Zefal No mud.

iainc

Front i use the mucky nutz bender fender plus gut fender and its a perfect setup. On the back I have crud guard

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Used my rear Mucky Nutz mudguard for the first time last night… and I agree – they are not good at all. Doesn’t stay straight and isn’t quite wide enough.

I think the ones up front are good though.

I bought the Bender Fender, Gut Fender & Rear fender all at once.
    I wonder if I can get my money back for the rear.

Think it’s worth trying?

Sodajim

I have the full Mudhugger pack but I haven’t had a chance to test it due to a bout of man flu.

Given the coverage it certainly looks like it will be affective but I’m not sure I would call it discreet. The rear is about the same length as an ironing board but then I suppose there’s always the scope to trim it down!

It certainly feels solid anyway.

I stuck it onto my 26″ FS without issue but also offered it up to my 29er hard tail, and it looked like it would fit without issue on that. Certainly the curve of the guard was ample to clear the tyre. I believe there are plans to build a 29er version which is going to be longer 😯 but tbh I don’t think it will need to be

spockrider
    Free Member

I tried a front Mudhugger for a mudfest ride on Sunday and am pleased to say that I got no muck in my face. Haven’t tried the rear yet as did not have time to fit but I can’t see how it would not work. The front guard sits close to the wheel but didn’t interfere with the travel on on my 26″ hardtail despite the wet bracken, tree debris and mud.
    My other half bought a set of Crud catchers and is ditching those now for Mudhuggers.
    The price is a bit expensive on first look but they are well made, easy to fit, tough, do the job and will probably last for years.

Muke
    Free Member

Had a front MuckyNutz and it lasted a week before it split so I made my own more robust version from a sheet of plastic. Just picked up a Crud Racepac 29er Mudguard Set from Gooutdoors for £15 using pricematch as my 26″ rear guards are better than nothing but not ideal for a 29er.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Agree the rear isnt much cope but the front combined with a neoguard thingy does keep most of the spray at bay 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

What is the point of a rear mudguard that isn’t full length, you’re going to get a backstripe from the mud flicking up at speed unless the guard goes past 3 o’clock on the back wheel. None of the MTB rear mudguards seem long enough. I’m all good with a bender fender and waterproof shorts.

sparkyrhino

Used the rear muckynutz last winter,keeps your arse crack dryish,if you don’t get out of saddle/hang off rear of saddle.after a bit of swearing got mine to stay straight on saddle rails,mine snapped after getting snagged on my shorts(sub zero temps) and discarded.Won’t buy another.Front ones are good mind.

LoCo
    Free Member

powa front (modded with heat gun to fit 29er hans dampf 😉 rear sks thinging if really mucky

ajt123
    Free Member

The major plus point of the front mucky nutz is keeping shite off of your fork stanchions and seals. This helps cut down on cleaning and prolong life between services.

Frankly, on on the rear makes little difference, except if you have a silly full sus, designed in sunnier climbs, where it can be useful keeping the spray off your rear shock.

cnud
    Free Member

Mudhugger rear fits my 29er Camber no prob. Only discovered this after contacting Mudhugger and they said it might, just as well because the production 29er version is some way off

leo72
    Free Member

I’ve tried several different mudguards, Zefal, SKS, THE, but not yet tried the Mudhuggers. Anders (blue jacket), who’s riding on his Banshee Rune in this wet and muddy video, has Mudhuggers both front and rear. He’s more than happy with those. Time to order som Mudhuggers… 🙂

[video]http://vimeo.com/77350454[/video]

/Leo

rocketbike
    Free Member

Thought I may a well add to this thread. Bought a rear MN rear full fender and it lasted all but a week. Lightly caught my leg on it a couple of times and it has snapped where the strap mounts it to the seat post. Definitely stopped a lot of spray on my back but they really are not robust at all, so would recommend looking for an alternative despite the cheap price.

stayhigh

I brought a mudhugger however it wasnt until I went to fit it that I noticed my rear mech cable runs downs the top of the seat stay 😕

Its now on my son’s bike where it appears to work well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Front mucky nutz and a crud guard FTW. A proper rear mud guard too. It may look shit, but the actual biking experience. So vastly improved, which is more important than looking all enduroboy.

ajt123
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more – although the front one is useful at keeping the mud off the fork seals

Mudhugger rear on the other hand is excellent. Completely dry even after multiple puddles. What’s not to like.

superfli
    Free Member

MN short or long on front on its own stops a small amount of mud. My face will still be covered in muck, and so would my eyes (which is what i want to stop).
    Recently got the gut fender to go with. Eyes are now about 90% mud free. Much better, and only £4.50:-)

iainc

+1

Gut fender is great along with the bender fender. As good as a crud catcher but much easier to put on and off and weighs nowt.

BadlyWiredDog

Thought I may a well add to this thread. Bought a rear MN rear full fender and it lasted all but a week. Lightly caught my leg on it a couple of times and it has snapped where the strap mounts it to the seat post. Definitely stopped a lot of spray on my back but they really are not robust at all, so would recommend looking for an alternative despite the cheap price.

Yeah, the design is flawed. Mine broke in the same place. There are just four narrow strips holding the thing together at that point. I quite liked it as a low weight, reasonably effective option, but it’s fragile as… Meanwhile the Mudhugger on my winter hack bike is hideous, but incredibly effective. I’d avoid the MN rear fender until they redesign the thing.

If it cost any more than it does, I’d be asking for a refund.

rocketbike
    Free Member

Badly WD – yes exactly where mine has broken. It needs a re-design for sure. I have mailed them about it as i think they need to know. They are a great company but the rear fender does not cut it. I don’t normally do mud guards but this year I thought why exactly am I riding around getting covered in the black stuff uneccessarily. Bender fender has worked a treat up front. It’s been great having a dry back for a few rides so I definitely want another rear guard of some sort despite how ugly they look. Will take a look at the mud hugger.

rOcKeTdOg

z1ppy – Member

mudhugger…no 29er option… BOOOOO!

the 27.5 one fits a 29er perfectly though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Those Mucky Nutz rear mudguards ….’ is closed to new replies.