Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Those machines they use in editing suites
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The ones with a big knob youbcan spin backwards and forwards to find the exact point you want to make an edit.. What are they called?

I want a phone app that does the same thing, for music. It helps when learning songs on the guitar to be able to listen to certain sections over and over again rapidly.

allthepies
    Free Member
    slowoldman

You mean the big knob or the machine?

molgrips
    Free Member

Either.

I can’t find an app that does what I want, just endless DJ ones.. I could try them I guess.

jimjam
    Free Member

Also known as a shuttle or shuttle dial.

rone

Jog / shuttle. You can get a jog shuttle that plugs into a PC. The company is contour IIRC.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

In video play repeat or loop play or Play-in-out do something like this.

rone
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jog dial, the desk themselves are called vision mixers which won’t help.

What you probably want is something that emulates a CDJ (which in itself is emulating a vinyl turntable, so really any DJ app should do it). Just pick one that has a vinyl emulating mode rather than the CDJ ‘stutter’ (which also works, but get’s irritating after a while).

Murray

Seem to be a few DJ apps

slowoldman

Here’s a phone with a big dial on it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

No better just chucking the mp3s into audacity(free) and the looping the section you want to repeat…

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s looking that way.

Helps sometimes to be able to slow it down too.

DezB
    Free Member

The iPhone app ‘Just the Music’ has a jog wheel. Works ok. Dunno if there’s a Android version.
    VLC is great for changing speed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    It’s looking that way.

Helps sometimes to be able to slow it down too.

Audacity>effect>change tempo.

maccruiskeen

Does it have to be on your phone? You can get USB jog shuttles that are a bit more haptic than prodding a touch screen – easier to concentrate on what you are controlling if you don’t need to look at the controller to operate it. You should be able to pick one up second hand pretty cheaply – If I can remember where I put my one you could have it for nowt. Think my one is a Griffin Power Mate

leffeboy

I know its not quite what you are looking for but I’ve used a piece of software for windows called transcribe before for learning songs. Lets you slow down, loop, etc and also works with videos if you download stuff to play along to
    http://www.seventhstring.com/

badllama
    Free Member

Depends on your edit suite 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Transcribe! is the world’s leading software for helping musicians to work out music from recordings

Sounds perfect!

$40 though.

molgrips
    Free Member

maccruisekeen – thanks for the kind offer, looks like it’s not supported under Windows very well though. But then again – maybe its hackable, so yeah let me know if you find it ta.

jamj1974

I think Tap DJ on iOS may have the jog and speed functions you require.

CaptainSlow

OP – I use anytune on iPad and Mac to play along to and learn songs on guitar. You can slow down, shift pitch, loop, loop and increase speed on next integration etc.

It’s Awesome.

Anytune Music Slow Downer Home Page

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds good but I have no Apple stuff.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Depends on your edit suite

And if you are grading or editing 🙄

jamj1974

Anytune is on Android as well Molgrips.

molgrips
    Free Member

Groovy.

CaptainSlow

Anytune is also available on Windows.

leffeboy

Sounds perfect! $40 though.

Way less than the cost of most of the ‘consumables’ we have on our bikes…

Anytune is looking good though. May have to have a nose. Looks like once you have added the features that transcribe already has that the price creeps up, especially if you want to use a footpedal to control it. Still looks nice though

badllama
    Free Member

Well MrSmith it’s the editor I use and you can get it for free here

DaVinci Resolve 12 combines professional non-linear video editing with the world’s most advanced color corrector so now you can edit, color correct

The inputs on the control surface work on both editing and colour grading. 🙂 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

I know what it is. Resolve was all about grading pre black magic buyout, as you know you don’t need a 3 way control surface just to edit.
    Would use it to edit myself if it wasn’t so resource hungry so I stick with fcp 😐

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Those machines they use in editing suites’ is closed to new replies.