Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Those hot water urn things
  • doris5000

We’ve got one in the kitchen at work. It claims to keep the water at around 96 – 100C. It gets used quite a lot but is this really justifiable in energy terms compared to a kettle? could it be all that well insulated? Seems a bit extravagant to me…

Stoner
    Free Member

losses are obviously higher for higher temp stored water. I dont believe they are particularly well insulated.

Wouldnt an instant water heater be better?

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/zip-hydroboil

johndoh
    Free Member

but is this really justifiable in energy terms compared to a kettle

I believe some businesses install them not because of energy consumption, but because they stop the office chat room mentality that happens in the kitchen whilst making a cuppa…

footflaps

They also last a lot longer than kettles, prior to getting one we used to kill kettles pretty quickly as they’re not designed to be used 8 hours solid every day!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think it’s easier / cheaper to keep the water at high temperature than repeatedly re-filling / re-boiling kettle once every 10 mins just for one cup. There is a health and safety angle too, less likely to be knocked over causing burns etc.

Houns

Don’t do what I did when starting a shift at 4am…. Washing your hands under one

wwaswas

[morecambe and wise voices]

“Is it a Greek Urn?”
    “What’s a Greek Urn?”
    “About 40 Euro’s a day!”

[/morecambe and wise voices]

Matt24k
    Free Member

We have a Burco turned on 24/7 for 11 months of the year and they last about 3 years before the element needs replacing. It is a double walled stainless construction and seems well insulated but our ambient temp is 28c so it may be different in a colder environment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Those hot water urn things’ is closed to new replies.