Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Those flat/SPD combo pedals
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I want a pair of these for commuting, and I notice that there are some single and double sided ones around. I fancy the double sided ones for ease of use but it looks like the SPD part is a bit recessed. Does this lead to compatibility problems with shoes? My shoes are Spesh racey shoes and they have a fairly chunky bit of sole.

Anyone had compatibility problems? I’m thining something like this:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mol; I’ve got a pair and have used them with stiff soled ‘race’ type Spesh shoes, and they’re fine. The SPD bit stands proud of the platform, and is sprung so it’s pops up ready for cleat entry.

They’re good for when you have to unclip, and don’t quite get yer foot back in straight away.

fenred
    Free Member

As elfin says, great for “getting going” again or unclipping for “hairy” bits of the trail that you might lose you bottle on and want to unclip briefly…(or is that just me? 😳 )

I found them VERY uncomfortable to use whilst wearing ‘normal’ trainers.

rewski
    Free Member

I could of done with those at the weekend, it was well sketchy on all those leaves and muddy trails. Those crank bros mallets look good too.

JonR
    Free Member

I have a set of DX ones I use with chunky spd boots and I don’t have any problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

Last week I had to ride half an hour to the train station, whereupon I had a long train journey so I didn’t want to be sat in cycling shoes the whole time.. then at the other end there was just a short journey. So I changed then ended up riding the trip in my work shoes. Thought it would be rather useful to have shoes that worked well with both normal/work shoes and as SPDs.

Fenred – why uncomfortable? The SPD part stick into your sole or something?

Wondering if the non-double sided ones might be better.

akira

The new trail style shimano ones are a bit subtler but still give you some support.

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    monkeyfiend
    Free Member

molgrips, when I use my DX pedals with casual shoes the SPD part digs in and doesn’t offer alot of grip, so yeah uncomfortable.
    Shimano do a range of ‘Trekking’ pedals that are single sided SPD. The XT one is tempting.

z1ppy

unclipping for “hairy” bits of the trail that you might lose you bottle on and want to unclip briefly…(or is that just me? )

bejesus that about the worst possible thing to do IME… at least if you attached to the bike you feel secure. I’ve tried old DX and use FreerideZ’s, but purely as I like the Time clips (bought ROC’s last time and some more freerideZ this time as they were cheap 2nd hand) not because of the platform.. the SPD part is positioned where it’s confortable to stand onthe pedal, to remain unclipped it mean you have to have your foot out of this position (do you follow?). So you got your foot in an inherently bad position if not clipped in, why would that help your confidence on a hairy bit? 😳
    Anyway both platform (DX & freeR’s) are next to useless for anything but SPD’s, as the spd clip is above the platform, so it’s in the way, ok for a quick trip but nothing extended IME.

fenred
    Free Member

Fenred – why uncomfortable? The SPD part stick into your sole or something?

Yep, exactly that. I use either etnies or vans and bought these pedals for both regular mtb use as well as play-riding out the front with my kids so didnt want/need to be clipped in for that. the cleat part doesnt fully retract flat into the platform so there’s always a very uncomfortable protrusion.

Z1ppy – I agree with what you’re saying but you can hit a sweet spot just outside of that clip in point.

traildog
    Free Member

I had some DX ones. The SPD is raised above the platform. With SPD shoes, the platform provides a bit more support and allows you to find the cleat quickly. However, there is not much grip and I certainly want to use the pedal with normal shoes. If you want normal shoes, then either proper flat pedals or if you want both then I suppose one sided spds.

jimilindley
    Free Member

Yeah the “touring” ones mcmoonter put a pic of are great, I used them at Coed Y Brenin yesterday, not as much grip as flats on the non spd side, but better than those double spd platform combo ones

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Those flat/SPD combo pedals’ is closed to new replies.