Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • those code pushbutton (no key) door locks
  • MadBillMcMad

You know those code push button locks – like these.

Is there any reason why you would not want one as your front or back door lock on your house ?

Just thinking as we need a new door and we have two sons who appear to have a knack for loosing keys.

wwaswas

they’re not actually that secure – most businesses that have them only use them during the day – they have ‘proper’ locks for out of hours access.

jonnyrobertson

They don’t seem THAT sturdy to be honest, I wouldn’t secure my house with them. Got them at work but the main entances are all secured with good old fashioned lock and key. Many domestic doors these days have 3 locking points and you’d have to go some to break in if secured properly. Never seen them on exterior doors either so maybe not fully weatherproof? I’m no expert though but I’d say stick to conventional lock and key and just get more keys cut. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Not sure insurance would consider them as an acceptable lock – IME you can lever them off a door quite easily which you can’t do with a normal lock.

MadBillMcMad

thanks guys

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The apartment were I used to live had one on the shared access door, it was broken off by chavs. I wouldn’t consider one. What about a key safe? With a push code entry?

Cougar

The Unican ones are more secure than the codelocks IME (I’ve managed to picked the latter but not the former).

The only reason I can think of not to have one as an external lock is that pretty much every home insurance policy I’ve ever seen specifies a five lever mortice lock to (BS/EU standard), which these obviously aren’t. They also can’t be deadlocked (or at least, I’ve not seen one that can), and there’s always the risk that someone will see you key in your code.

For external use you’d need one that was weatherproofed, too. Might make a great secondary lock for a vestibule door.

Cougar

we have two sons who appear to have a knack for loosing keys.

Stop giving them keys until they learn to look after them, then.

uplink
    Free Member

Stop giving them keys until they learn to look after them, then.

Then they just ring the bell until someone gets up or phone you

We just leave our back door open now, there’s always someone in anyway and a very big dog sleeps in the kitchen

thegreatape
    Free Member

Leave a key with a neighbour?

Or build a sort of sentry box for them to stand in during inclement weather.

(Quite a lot of rural homes around here have these at the end of the drive for the kids to stand in while they wait for the horse and cart to take them to school).

andytherocketeer

the ones on our uni halls front door had a “tide mark” around the used digits. doesn’t take long to guess the code. that was digital/electronic.

the ones on our old office was mechanical. iirc you could press the 4 digits in any order. again with a “tide mark” around the used digits, it won’t take long to guess the code.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The code for seven different places I have been were either 1066 or 1945.

I knew the code for 3 of the places and just tried both at the other places. It kind of upset the security when I walked through to reception when I was meant to buzz them for clearance.

spooky_b329

Masterlock Keysafe

Approved by many insurers, stick it on the wall, key always available 🙂

spooky_b329

Masterlock Keysafe

Approved by many insurers, stick it on the wall, key always available 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yeah spooky that’s what I ment.

Cougar

The code for seven different places I have been were either 1066 or 1945.

Funny, last time I saw one of these things, I went “1234… nope… 1066… *click* ooh!”

santacruzsi
    Free Member

they’re quite easy to find out the numbers within the code (if you know how!) . once you know the numbers you can get in using any sequence of the numbers. I’d not have one!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Then they just ring the bell until someone gets up or phone you

Disconnect doorbell, turn ‘phone off. = Good night’s sleep. 🙂

Cougar

they’re quite easy to find out the numbers within the code (if you know how!) . once you know the numbers you can get in using any sequence of the numbers. I’d not have one!

Depends entirely on the design; they’re not all like that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘those code pushbutton (no key) door locks’ is closed to new replies.