Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Those cheap little camcorder things
  • Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Has anyone got a link to the wee camcorders that are available for not a lot of money?
    Is the one at DealExtreme a decent one?

Cheers

Paul.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've got a similar one, used it once, now sitting unused in a draw!

They are sort of OK for recording commuting incidents or similar, but IMO the quality isn't really good enough to make for very interesting footage. Needs a wider angle lens too.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I was thinking of trying on as an alternative to my bullet/camcorder set up.

iain1775
    Free Member

search ebay for Veho Mini Muvi
    they look better than that one!
    My genuine £50 Muvi was good, decent quality images, unfortunately it broke

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a 'fake' muvi off ebay for £12.50, the picture quality compared to my housemates real muvi was……………….

Great! Runs at 30fps on a class6 card, colours are OK (great compared to the muvi), footage looks OK if you mount it securely – zip tied directly to the bars/frame was best, the mounting brakcets wobble too much. Sky is invariably over exposed.

devs
    Free Member

Zoombits had them on offer the other day at 11.95. I think they are 14.95 ordinarily. They have an offer on just about every day so have a search for voucher codes. You'll get something off that for sure. They do class4 cards cheap too. I dunno if they have any class6 in at the moment, they didn't when I looked but in theory class4 is good enough for that anyways.

Northwind

The wee ones are pretty rubbish, but they're also incredibly cheap and still good enough for a play… The trick is just to mount them really well, most video done with them has really bad shake and it's just because they're a bugger to mount. I've got one somewhere, it doesn't see much use but I've run it occasionally as a second camera. Main issue is, videoing can be addictive…

Dancake
    Free Member

My Muvi copy was ok, but in anything but bright Sunshine it was pants. Dont even know where it is now…

Pembo
    Free Member

I've noticed some cheap sunglasses cameras start to appear on ebay. Seems as if they will solve the mount issue as long as the sun is shining 🙂

snowslave

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Record-Camera-Webcam-Spy-Cam-/390221669881?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item5adb0625f9

£4.99, size of yer thumb!!!

I have 3 of these now. First video I did I used one on my helmet and one on the bars. You can't see what you've done til you plug them into a puter, obviously. When I got home to edit, the images were wobbly due to the mounts which are really really crap. I've subsequently learned to zip tie them onto bits of the bike, using old inner tube as a dampener. This works pretty well.

You've got to play around and work out the best places to stick them to get good images. Forks or handlebars seem good, seat post facing forward or backwards good too. And you need to learn what's the best angles for them, and how close you need to be other riders. I'm still experimenting, hem hem…

They are not good at being splashed with mud. I've had 2 wipe out completely after going through puddles. But to be fair the provider replaced both without challenge once I'd returned them. Not sure I'll get away with this indefinitely.

They are also pretty fiddly. There's only an on off button really, but it's hard to operate even without gloves on, and there's a little blue light showing it's filming – it's dead hard to see if this is on or not, especially in bright sunlight.

The images are not bad – for a fiver fer ****'s sake! I've used them in varying conditions, including night rides round Wharncliffe Woods and somewhere on the lancs/yorks border, the lakes, the Alps. They seem to cope with quickly varying lighting, like in forests.

Their run time is pretty good. I've just switched them on and left them running for a night ride for eg, and they'll do about 2 hours, which then needs editing down and is a Simon Barnesesque experience, timewise. Need a decent card for them though, which bumps up the price to a massive £15.

What I like about them is they're so cheap you can just strap them all over your bike and mates bikes and see what images come out for editing. At this price if they get broken or lost or whatever, you're not going to weep.

I doubt they'll win many film competitions, just a bit of fun……

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Those cheap little camcorder things’ is closed to new replies.