Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Those Cheap Ebay Projectors –
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

Like this

CLICKY

I’d imagine that for watching movies, that they won’t be much cop, but for general PowerPoint nonsense.

Anyone tried one?

maccruiskeen

where they’ll show their limitations is in Contrast Ratio, 600:1 is pretty poor compared to budget DLPs that ar more along the lines of 5000:1, LCD projectors project light through a small LCD screen, the screen can’t make itself totally opaque so the blacks in your image will be greys. If you’re watching a movie and it all goes dark you’ll suddenly be aware that you’re watching a white wall. The LCD bit tends to fade overtime so your image becomes quite washed out and blue.

DLP projectors have much better contrast ratio as the projected light is bounced off the DLP them rather than shone through it. Cheaper DLPs deal with colours using a spinning mirror (more expensive ones have a chip for each colour) fast movements (or blinking) can give a momentary coloured fringe to objects which can be a bit distracting.

Whats mental is that when I first started using projectors of the spec in that ad they would fill the boot of and estate car, needed two people to carry it, and cost as much as a house. It was a day’s work just get it in focus as well

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I have a Dell M109s, mini projector thing, but the display keeps going yellow, so I think it’s gubbed.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bump for the day shift.

user-removed
    Free Member

Can’t help I’m afraid but also interested as I’ve been looking for one for portrait viewing sessions. Sounds like it’s rubbish for photo viewing at least…

AlexSimon

There have been a few reports on AVForums of these.
    Mostly rubbish.
    If it’s just for powererpoint-type use, then I would get a mega-bright cheap second hand unit.

The one you linked to is only 640×480. That’s the resolution of Safe Mode, so it will look pretty terrible for the computer desktop.

I’d look for 1024×768 as a minimum, but obviously widescreen is more in tune with current laptops, etc.

There are loads of business/data projectors going cheap on ebay. It’s the home cinema ones that command the premium.

The bulbs are the potential expense – either get one what says it’s a new bulb, where cheap replacements are available, or one that will give you a 3 month warranty on the bulb.

HTH

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheers peeps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Those Cheap Ebay Projectors –’ is closed to new replies.